Reign 2019

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well there is a class "EB-1" that allows you to apply based on having "Extraordinary Ability." So they'll basically give you a green card right away if you have a special award (Pulitzer, Oscar, Olympic Medal). So Utsugi and Taylor who have World Cup medals were likely eligible to apply though that, though whether they did or not, I don't know. Fishlock got her green card in 2015, which was 2 years after first coming here, not sure what process she used though.

Yoshou and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Utsugi also has an Olympic Silver Medal (2012)! :D

Edit: no, sorry, she hasn't! I had forgotten that she had a fatal injury that year that prevented her from taking part to the Olympics: ACL after a friendly match vs USA in Sweden! :x3:

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no minimum time limit for green cards in the US, it really depends on finding the right immigration lawyer and a willingness of your employer to push for it. As an example, it is not uncommon for foreign players that are starters for MLS teams to get their green cards within a year, sometimes 2, but I know of 1 player that got theirs within 6 months of joining the team.

blissett repped this.
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Some say she plays heavenly football... glad she could come back to us and play again.:D

blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I surely meant it had caused "Olympic death". :p

CoachJon repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I noticed that this week Rumi Utsugi wasn't listed anymore in the NWSL injury report, although she wasn't seen in Seattle Reign line-up nor on the bench. Doesn't anyone know if this means that she's at least resumed training? Any idea if she will see the pitch before the end of the season?

7. crossbarsave

crossbarsave Member

Reign FC
    United States
    Feb 4, 2019
    She was at the game Saturday night and with the other players who weren’t in the 18. Haven’t seen confirmation she is training, but Vlatko mentioned her in an interview last week (that she was expected to come off the injury list) so My assumption is that she’s training but wasn’t ready for match play.

Reign Man and blissett repped this.
  8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Vladtko gone to USWNT. Gallimore in the wings???

Reign Man repped this.
  9. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I certainly hope we get Leslie Gallimore! That would be very good.
    There do seem to be a lot of reasons to think this could happen.

Mills repped this.
  10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    sbahnhof, Mills, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Seems like the Predmore will still be involved which is a good thing.

blissett repped this.
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torn.. If Aulas puts as much emphasis into the Reign as he has with Lyon Feminin, that could work out great for the Reign. However, being that he's about as far away from Seattle as one can be, I'm a little worried that he'll view it as a side project, or just as a feeder club to Lyon Feminin and the team will reflect that..

sbahnhof and Mills repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #163 SiberianThunderT, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Very big news, for sure. Good that the Predmores are still minority owners, but I just hope bridges weren't burned re: buying out the recently-added Raiders + Sounders people.

Honestly, even if the Reign become a feeder club for the main Lyon, there's no better club in the world to be feeder to. Lyon's bench could probably be league-winners in most leagues. I could potentially see big-name players that aren't getting the play time they think they deserve to request loans to Seattle.

That said, considering crowd sizes and competitiveness, it probably wouldn't be smart to treat the Reign as a feeder team. The only unknown there that might make people pursue the "feeder" aspect is if sponsorships in France are way bigger. (Which I wouldn't be surprised about considering their pedigree.)

blissett repped this.
  14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get the feeling that the Sounders people really wanted in, but rather did it out of a sense of civic duty (and an attempt to dodge blame if the Reign failed). Hanauer and Co could have been involved with the Reign from the start, but it was only when the Reign were on the verge of collapse that they stepped in and greased the wheels to get them into Tacoma.

That's one of the reasons I'm torn. It could also end up being bad for NWSL if Lyon bench players start playing for the Reign and the Reign dominate NWSL.

Reign Man and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think the Reign getting better would stop the strength of NC (or POR) so I think "dominating" NWSL would be very hard to do, especially since I doubt Lyon would send more than two or three players over. And NWSL roster rules might prevent more than that from coming over, too.

Mills repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Another side note about the "feeder" issue: if I have a good grasp on Aulas' personality, I think he's going to try to organize whatever he can do to win as much as possible. That is, just by pride, I don't think he'll denigrate the Reign's position much at all. I fully expect the Reign to max out NWSL's new Allocation Money with this development.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized that Western Washington is the only place that Aulas can use the Olympique brand. The Ted Steven's Act gives the US Olympic Committee exclusive use of the word "Olympic" in the US. The only exception to that is Western Washington where the Olympic Mountains are. They'll still get a cease and desist letter if they try to name the club "Olympique Washington" or something like that, but they may be able to survive the lawsuit if they want to push it...

blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  19. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    If Lyon can get an SSS built in Tacoma, that'll be the biggest win for this club.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already have plans to build a SSS in Tacoma... I’m not sure what the status of it is, but it isn’t something they need Lyon’s help to get across the line.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    They do if it is only going to be a 5000 seat stadium. That would probably be a sure way for the team to be relocated, stadium is not bigger. Stadium should be designed like the Louisville one is with the ability to add on more seating.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn’t seem that final design on the SSS is complete and other articles had a stadium sizes between 5k-7k. The Reign also haven’t really needed a stadium larger than 5k until this year, so it wasn’t really necessary to include a larger SSS in the feasibility study. There’s also going to be an average attendance where they just move the team to CenturyLink.

24. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Whatever stadium size will meet the Reign’s needs immediately must also take into consideration growth as well. You don’t want to be locked into a small stadium in comparison to the other teams in the league as the league grows.

sbahnhof repped this.
  25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I added the final sentence. Making the Tacoma SSS scalable makes sense if you view that location as the "final" home for the Reign. I'm not sure that is true. All indications are that the long term goal is to have the Reign play in CenturyLink Field. Obviously it would be horrible to play there if they are only drawing 5k-6k a game, but the hope is that there will be a point where the Reign's attendance is going to be large enough that a move to CenturyLink is necessary.

Another point to consider is that the Reign aren't the only team that will be playing in the SSS. The Tacoma Defiance will play a factor in the sizing of the stadium and right now they are drawing less than 3k a game. Obviously the hope is that they too will increase in attendance, but there is going to be a limit to how high they go. If we consider the Tacoma Rainiers, which is a MiLB team owned by the same people that own the Defiance, their average attendance has been between 4.5k and 5.5k for the last decade. We can probably draw some conclusions about that related to how much growth the Defiance can expect in their average attendance.