Reign 2016

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Had a feeling that she was done and here's confirmation. She says she's not there yet mentally to play but I genuinely think this is it for her.

Wish her all the best. She didn't deserve to end her career like this.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I don't think she's done professionally. International, sure but I think she'll be back in the NWSL or somewhere else once she calms down.

3. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maybe but I think she might just pack it in for good. We'll see.

4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well I hope she don't make that decision now. Nothing good comes from making a decision when you are angry.

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    From a Seattle Reign perspective, it would have been a tragedy if Kopmeyer hadn't recovered fast from her injury vs Western New York Flash. Now that Haley is ok, I guess we can survive the last games without Solo. Frankly, it's the rest of the team that has to step up and win games: in this moment, it's not Solo who could make the difference.

Blaze20 repped this.
  6. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I could see her signing a Euro contract.

7. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Who would take her though @Calci0?

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team in Sweden :D

Or Solo to France, Bouhaddi to the Reign, and Earth to the Mirror, Mirror universe.

blissett repped this.
  9. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Funnily enough, Sweden wouldn't be a bad pick. They're already over her comments and seemed shocked at her treatment afterwards. She's also played there before and all of her former teammates from that time still hold her in high regard.

Ah well, who knows. Kop will be fine and I appreciate Hope stepping away because she feels she'd be a deterrent to her team right now as they try and reach the playoffs.

blissett repped this.
  10. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I could see one of the top 3 teams (not including OL) in France making a move, as they are spending more money. Also a few clubs in Germany. The WFA might be a stretch. If she isn't looking for money, and she just wants to play, and see the world, I don't think many would turn her talent down.

steelers07 repped this.
  11. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If Kopenmeyer, plays well and has standout performances in the Playoffs, does she get a look at the USWNT?

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The playoffs would be anywhere from two to zero games. She's played well, but not noticeably better than anyone ahead of her in the depth chart, so even a good playoffs performance, if it happens, probably wouldn't move the needle that much. She needs to have at least half a season where she's clearly a top-two 'keeper in NWSL if she wants a USWNT look.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    blissett repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This December or January they really should do what they did under Sermanni...just have a camp for goalkeepers...bring in 5 or 6 and give them a good look for a week.

lil_one repped this.
  15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Disappointing result over the weekend which all but means playoffs are out or reach. Can't say they have anyone to blame but themselves for the sub par performances early in the season.

Should be interesting to see which faces are around for next season. If we indeed do not make the playoffs, we will have two top 5 picks in what those in the know are calling a very deep draft. However, Harvey will need to make some tough decisions about which direction she wants the team to head in. If she wants to keep the current approach of relying on veteran players, it will be good to trade those picks away to a team that really need them <cough>Houston</cough> and get experience players in return.

Also, seems like our girl Pinoe ruffled some feathers this weekend, good on her.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think she'll trade at least one pick regardless how it shakes out short of a completely new approach and add Oraando to ur list of teams who could use some picks.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    My approach will be if we are trading away picks I want a player that can actually make a difference on this squad and I don't think just one pick can get such a player. Unless we sent other existing players as well.

Also, while I'm stating my wish for next season, can the front office employ someone who knows how to teach players to defend set pieces and corner kicks? If it wasn't so depressing I'll go back and count the total points we left on the table by given away goals on corner kicks, free kicks, long balls in the 18, etc.

steelers07 repped this.
  18. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If she trades the picks for int. slots (2 for 2) I think she can find pretty impactful players without giving away any.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You're not gonna get international slots from HOU or ORL (or POR for that matter). The three MLS-backed teams are the most international of the league, along with SEA.

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    True, and not sure what other quality internationals are out there that are not already attached.

21. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    But will that be the case many months from now?

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think there are plenty of "quality" internationals out there. You don't have to poach players from the likes of Wolfsburg, Lyon, INAC, and Arsenal to find quality internationals. I mean, just perusing the list of internationals in the league this year, just consider Dagny, Nadim, Ordega, Banini, any number of Brazilians or Australians... Plenty of quality there, and none of them were too difficult to get. Remember that the international pool is GIGANTIC. Even small clubs and small nations can house diamonds-in-the-rough - even if they're not superstars, they're plenty quality. With proper scouting, I bet you could fill two or three teams' worth of just internationals that are NWSL-quality and not at teams where moving to NWSL would be a pay step down.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just throw the idea, just because we are talking about "limited quality international player pool": in the next months we'll have U-17 WWC and U-20 WWC; as usual, there will probably be young talents springing all around. U-17 are probably too young to make the leap in another country, but many U-20 are probably eager to test themselves in a different environment. For instance: Saki Kumagai was 20 or such, when she signed for her first international club, 1.FFC Frankfurt.

Not sure what will be the result of Nadeshiko Japan at next U-20 WWC, but the team is U-17 World Champion in charge and many of these champions smoothly transitioned from U-17 to U-20. The team is full of talents, many of them, at their age, are already "veterans" of Nadeshiko League and are likely to want to further improve themselves in an international league. A team already having Japanese players in it would be a good destination for them, to help them fitting in better and faster. ;)
    I admit that what Seattle Reign is looking for is mature players able to make the difference right away, but there are players, as Iwabuchi or Maroszan or Fleming, that you already see standing out at youth level and you don't have many doubts that they are ripe and ready for the big stage. And a mix of grizzled veterans and young lionesses could be the road for a smooth transition in the Seattle team...

steelers07 and Calci0 repped this.
  24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    No offense to those players and they have stood out for their respective teams this year but I doubt if any one of those players would be able to push this Reign squad over that final hump.

Also no doubt that the international pull is gigantic but remember we are talking about women's soccer here where teams do not have network of scouts perusing all leagues and countries around the world looking for hidden talent. So unfortunately the only way to be made aware of these players is if they have established themselves on the international scene. And those that have done that I already signed by bigger teams.

Additionally, the approach of signing a lesser known international with the hope that they will prove to be a diamond in the rough is a strategy that is not new to the NWSL, many teams have tried it and for every Nadim, Ordega and Banini, there is a longer list of players that didn't make it in this league and were waived unceremoniously. For me I rather we search for diamonds in the rough locally as it's less disruptive to these players.

blissett repped this.
  25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders