Reign 2015 discussion

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Now unto the actual game. This collection of random thoughts encompasses the last two games.
    • The first of the two games against WNY was quite frankly the worst this club have played. I have said it before but that performance was embarrassing and hopefully the players were. We managed to scrap out a win on a somewhat dubious PK.
    • I think our worst player in that match was Fishlock. Doesn't help that Foxhoven really is not a player who is effective as a starter. Playing her on the wing is also not smart. We were exposed on game on that side.
    • Prior to yesterday's match a wanted a shakeup in the starting lineup and got it. Was glad to see Brooks get extended minutes.
    • Yanez is quietly having a great season. She's usually good for one goal each match at a crucial time.
    • Harvey unlike others in this league do not sign internationals if she don't have plans of them being an integral part of either the starting XI or first choice sub. So I expect we will be seeing a lot more of Veje.
    • From what I saw in her 10 minutes, she looked like she belong. She handle the physicality and pace well and had a nice through ball to Fishlock who if hadn't being foul had a clear path to goal. Veje is also a lefty so she's on the fast track to being in my Top 3 favorites to watch. It'll take a lot though to unseat Cox.

blissett repped this.
  2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was nothing dubious about that PK. Fishlock was knocked down by Dahlkemper in the box. That's a stone cold PK every time IMO. And shame on you for trying to steal a win for the Reign when it was a draw :p

But the Reign got lucky that the Flash were terrible at finishing that day or it could have been an ugly loss. The fact that the PK was the only shot all game is telling of how bad they were. I was disappointed in them.

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Knowing Fishlock and some refs in this league, I have seen similar PKs not being called.

4. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only found one other game in the 3 years of the league where a team was held to only a single shot the entire game. No team has ever had a game where they didn't get a single shot off.

6. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Wow is this place quiet or what.

Either way, my deepest concern now is what is up with Yanez. The Reign are terrible at providing injury updates on their players so I'm afraid we will be left in the dark.

As for the team as a whole, they are doing a much better job of peaking down the stretch. I'm hoping with a wednesday and saturday game next week, the Harvey will use more of Brooks and Bullock in those games and give the midfield a break.

In the unfortunate event that Yanez can not play the next games, I expect to see Mathias as CF (which she was playing already against Houston) and Rapinoe and Veje on the flanks.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I am sad that this once so lively place (at least, it was one year ago) is now silent and with sound of crickets... :unsure:

Since I am not very up-to-date with Seattle Reign's current season, would you care to briefly remind me of where is it at, how Reign are doing and what are their chances to make the final four this year, Blaze20? :)

Also, what's up with Bev? From the few pieces of news I was reading here, I had got the impression that she was having a brilliant season, maybe one that could be compared with the ones she had in INAC Kobe Leonessa in the past. Now you seem to imply that she's injured, but no info are disclosed about the seriousness of this injury... How many matches did she skip, by now?

And finally, what do you think: now that WWC is out of the way, is there any chance that Naho could get back in Seattle? :p Although, as I said before, I am not sure INAC's chairman will allow his stars to go overseas again, now that INAC is doing well and it's currently at the top of the league...

9. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The issue could be Harvey's track record (small sample size). Last year I was calling for Harvey to rest players, and she seemed to not take advantage of the opportunity to get players time off the pitch. Especially during the unbeaten streak.

10. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    All I know is that it looked like she was saying "back" to the trainer, and so it's not her knee as I originally feared upon seeing her go down with no contact. Hopefully her back just tightened up or something and she'll be fine in a few days.

She left the game on Friday early after having gone down earlier. So it's a good sign she went back in, but bad that she eventually left. So she hasn't missed any games yet, but if it is more serious than I think it is, she could be out for the next game.

The funny thing was in the interview she did during the game she said resting players last time was the problem, so she's not gonna do that this season and they are going to try to win out the rest of the season. :confused:

blissett repped this.
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I'm not calling for a full scale resting but there's not need to play the A team on wednesday against Boston when they just played in horrible conditions on Friday and have another game 3 days later.

12. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Better late than never on this.

1. So the Reigns place in the top 4 was mostly assured a couple of weeks ago but yesterday after Chicago drew with WNY, we are guarantee a top 2 finish. We win the league if we get 1 more point from the remaining 3 matches (BOS, SBFC, WAS) or WAS drops any points. There's a good chance the team will be celebrating the second consecutive shield win come wednesday against BOS. I won't be surprised if they have t-shirts printed already.

I'll provide more analysis of how I think we are playing in another post.

2. I think others have answered this.

3. As for Naho, I think Harvey has made it clear that she can walk into this team anytime so the ball is in her court.

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Eagerly waiting for that. :)

Also, I am happy Seattle is doing so good for the second consecutive year. Judging from what I've read here, I thought that they hadn't started the season so well, so it looks like they got better and better with time...

15. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Of note: Little and Corsie have a game Sept 22nd. At least it's between the semi and the Final. With about a week to rest.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now it should be time to go winning the whole thing, this time, shouldn't it? ;)

18. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Happen to walk by Memorial today and noticed the team practicing. Watched for a few moments and everyone seemed in good spirits.

Blaze20 repped this.
  19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Jessica Fishlock, Keelin Winters at heart of Seattle Reign's run" Nice article on the midfield tandem of Jess Fishlock and Keelin Winters at ESPNW by Graham Hays. While noting the presence of stars Kim Little, Megan Rapinoe, and Hope Solo in Seattle's lineup, Hays goes on to add:

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I'll be providing a bit of an epilogue to this season soon, stay tuned...

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I heard about the unhappy ending of the final match, and I was waiting to see if something was going to appear here... :( I didn't watch the match, but it's very sad that things ended in the exact same way twice in a row: what exactly Kansas City has more than Seattle, at least in a single match? o_O

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas City has enough speed to expose Seattle's lack of it.
    • Seattle's backline is solid but ... not-fast. They are vulnerable to pure speed, c.f. Press, Rodriguez, Dunn. Even O'Reilly on a wing puts abnormal pressure on Seattle's shape. Most teams cannot exploit this because they can't attack a wet paper bag, or are equally not-fast, or Seattle just outscores them.
    • Seattle's forwards are solid but ... not-fast :p They can always create precision goals. In 2015, they found a way to create scramble/mayhem goals. Seattle's attack has always relied on their mighty midfield adding powerful support at box top, with occasional width from Cox or Fletcher. Lesser teams wilt or leak against this onslaught.
    Hence, in a one-off, Kansas City might have the perfect anti-Seattle mix of pieces: speed up top, midfield precision forcing Seattle to respect the danger, and enough speed in the back to neuter Seattle's modest pace. Smother-mark Little and Fishlock on every run into the box, and Seattle might have to bring up both fullbacks to create any danger. Then counter fast up the wings.

Then Seattle must use precision to pierce a set defense. Kansas City needs 90 minutes of perfect defense and one counterattack that works. Both of those are the hardest two things in the game.

Katreus, blissett, CoachJon and 2 others repped this.
  23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Very good summary of what this match up.

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also like Gilmoy's analysis. The NWSL web site had an article that says the most important factor was the FCKC defense, especially Jen Buczkowski. I liked it a lot.

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/home/896110.html

Did I read that Buz was going to hang up her cleats? I hope not.

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I also like very much Gilmoy's analysis. Thanks. :thumbsup:

About the point of Seattle not having fast enough FWs, I have to assume that the reasons why Kansas City beat them this season are a little different from last year's? Weren't Kawasumi and Leroux fast enough? :cautious: