Reign 2015 discussion

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a major major major major honor :D

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Which one? The BBC award or the W-League award :p

3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice little Seattle Times article by Jayda Evans that focused on backup GK Haley Kopmeyer and her pregame jitters. Coach Harvey, though, is quoted as having the

The Sounders beat writer, Matt Pentz, also occasionally writes about the Reign. But the problem I see is that on the Sports homepage, there are no links to the articles on the Reign. I'm unsure how you could even find the Kopmeyer article from the Times website. (I came across it by Googling).

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's odd.. There is a Reign section..

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/reign/

Maybe mention it to Jayda that it isn't linked on the Sports page? It should be on the various Sports menus.

5. pipsqueak

pipsqueak Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NC
    Spirit game was a good one - a lot of quality play by both teams and all of the goals came from great combination soccer. I was impressed by the opponents. They were organized and dangerous for most of the night. Ordega and Dunn are a very scary tandem. In all, I thought they presented a sterner test than the two previous that the Reign failed.

The two main differences I thought were that Fishlock came to play, and that the defense gave the speed of the Spirit forwards the respect they deserved and didn't attempt to push their line too high. I give generally high marks all around. The only minor complaint is that there seemed to be a few too many sloppy turnovers in the midfield especially on the right side where Reed seems much less comfortable combining with Dallstream than she was with Naho. (On the other hand, it's nice to see the extra pace which Dallstream brings to the attack.) The lone goal conceded came after a Fishlock stumble gave WS possession in the attacking third, and it still required some surgical passing to get the shot.

The Reign will face this team twice more in DC so they still have plenty of work left to do.

kolabear repped this.
  6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, it was a very good game by both sides.

And I almost forgot -- the soccer fan who goes by JigsawWill put together another one of his excellent compilation videos showing all the touches in a match by a featured player, in this case (no surprise) Kim Little.

7. pipsqueak

pipsqueak Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NC
    Amazing. What a cool idea! Thanks for pointing this out.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    #133 Blaze20, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    So I haven't posted my post game analysis yet so let's get on that shall we.

So this was the first game with out Rapinoe and Solo and to the trained eye, their absence was not apparent which I think is what everyone expected.

Defense
    Like was mentioned above, the defense fortunately did not play a high line in this game which I think was the key to the win. Now this could be for three reasons:
    1. Respect for the Spirit offense. I doubt this is the main reason because really whom do you fear most: Arod being fed by a great FCKC midfield who manage to defeat you in the championship or Dunn and unknown quantity Ordega being fed by a somewhat OK Spirit midfield. To me the first one wins every time and if Harvey can use the high line in that match, there is no reason why she couldn't use it in this match. Which brings me to my second reason.
    2. Protect your new GK and make her as comfortable with the back line as much as possible. This was the first game for Kopmeyer and it make sense to have the defense not play too far up the field to make her as comfortable as possible. And that means not having to face 1-on-1 battles through out the match.
    3. The third and also possible scenario is that Harvey may have come to the realization that the high line doesn't work and will abandon that tactic. The next match can confirm this theory.
    Offense
    As I have mention before, the offense for this team works best when they have space to operate. By not playing the defenders high, it created more space in the mid field and also stretched the opponents defenders thus making things easier. Dallstream who filled in for Rapinoe I thought did a really good job considering. She had two really good opportunities, one in each half to score. She also brought much needed speed to the offense. I thought she combined REALLY well with Little on the ground on the left flank. However she still can't cross. After watching her fail at this for three years now I have given up hope.

Injuries
    Sad news to hear that Solaun have been ruled out for the rest of the season with a broken ankle. Hopefully this doesn't become a thing after Frisbie and now Solaun. We don't want to scare the kids.
    If there is a bright side to this, we get one roster spot back so if they like they can sign someone. I really don't think we need to though.

Fishlock also took a knock and based on what Harvey said, it appears she extended her ankle. It happened when she tried to jump up for the ball but someone was standing on her feet. She was able to play through it but reports were that she was in crutches after the game and didn't even stay to sign autographs. I'm hoping this is not anything serious. Also, it there was a time to get hurt and rest, this is it because our next match is on May 9 and after that there isn't a league match until May 30. So that is 3 weeks off. The match against China is on May 22 but she doesn't have to play.

Individual player rating to follow.

kolabear and cpthomas repped this.
  9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    #134 Blaze20, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Kopmeyer (A-): First thing first, she went to the right side of the field so that's a win right there. She also did well when called upon to do so. Made two really good saves but other than that she did really didn't have much to do.

Cox (B+): Nothing spectacular though she could have had two assists if Dallstream or Fishlock had finished one of her brilliant crosses. I'm not sure why Dallstream is not shadowing Cox all day to learn how to cross a ball that at the minimum stay in bounds.

Barnes (B): Quiet

Fletcher (B): Also quiet

Reed (B+): You can see the improvements in how she combines with Mathias since the first game.

Winters (A-): I thought Keelin had a really good match both defensively and offensively. While watching the match it hit me that she plays similar to Fellaini of manchester united. Other than their height, they both have really weird ways of tackling that always looks like it is going to be a foul.

Fishlock (B+): OK game for Fishlock by her standards. Her goal was really good combination play with Little. I wish Harvey had subbed her at half time though so as not to aggravate the injury. Several times during the game she was seen clutching her ankle. We all know if it was up to her she would have continue to play till the end.

Dallstream (A-): Horrendous crosses aside, I thought this was one of her best matches. I was shocked at the speed and precision when combining with Little at the beginning of the game. At one point I thought Naho was out there. She brings speed to the offense on that side of the pitch. I really wanted her to get that one goal but alas it was not to be.

Little (A): It is interesting the role that Little is playing now. Last season it is true that most teams did not know what to expect in regards to her hence things were easier. This season though she consistently getting double or triple teamed so she has to work extra hard for everything she does. I think in the first few games of the season this was getting to her and she appeared visibly upset at times. She also looked to be forcing the issue possibly to get that first goal. Maybe Harvey had a talk with her about that or she came to that realization by herself but it appears in this game that her focus was primarily on creating for others first and foremost. If she can settle more into this role and not worry too much about duplicating her scoring success from last year, I believe the team will be in a better position.

Mathis (A): The more games she plays the more it looks like she and the team are getting on the same page. I have mentioned this before but one of the things I like about her game is that not only does she have speed but she is not afraid of taking on defenders. This is something we missed from Leroux last season when she played on the wing because defenders knew that if they just remain in front of her, she was always going to pass the ball back in the middle to Little or Fishlock. Mathias provide the solid threat of getting by defenders on speed, attacking the end line and crossing, or beating the defender inside.

Yanez (B+): Had an OK game goal aside.

Brooks I thought had a really good showing when she came in. Harvey was terrible for bringing in Corsie for literally 30 seconds.

Finally, I can't stress how much I miss the commentating duo from last season. The duo we have this season sounds like they are auditioning for a schweaty balls sketch on NPR. I guess I should not complain too much because at least they are not actively annoying.

Edited: I was just watching the latest Fletcher video on youtube and it trigger my memory of a particular play she made last week on Dunn which at the time I thought was pretty awesome defending. At one point Dunn had the step for a 1-0n-1 and Fletcher match her speed for speed and prevented her from running past her or even making a cross. That play resulted in a goal kick. For that alone I bump up her rating from B to B+

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Speaking of fishlock and her ankle injury, here is an update:

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So normally I don't post youtube videos but this is a special exception.

In this clip we have Fletcher acknowledging that in the previous games they had played the high line which created space behind the defenders and they have been working on creating that. Praise Jesus.

Now the question is did the defenders just naturally gravitated up the pitch by their own accord or where they told to do so?

Also was that Moscato I spotted?

12. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, there was definitely a Moscato sighting.

13. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Great intensity by both sides today. Love it. This is as true football as it gets.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hi, guys. Sorry for not being around lately, but as you can understand, as much as I had grew fond of Seattle Reign FC, my main interest here was Naho. I give a look to NWSL from time to time and I glance here on SR thread, but I am mostly following Nadeshiko League right now.

I stop by just to say that, in my opinion, season 2014 in Seattle was awesome for Kawasumi and I would be happy if she could be back in USA for season 2016; it's quite clear that Harvey has an high consideration for her. I am not sure it will be likely though, because I guess her leaving Seattle was not just a question of 2015 being the WWC year (although it was a factor for sure).

I explain: last season was a nightmare-one for INAC Kobe Leonessa. They went from thrice-back-to-back Japan's Champions to... 6th place in Nadeshiko League 2014 (out of 10 teams!) :confused:. This mostly came from missing most of their best players, that they had scattered through clubs around the world (Kawasumi and Goebel-Yanez to Seattle, Ji So-Yun to Chelsea, Kinga and Ohno to Arsenal, Asuna Tanaka to Frankfurt...). The shock of the 6th place result led INAC's chairman to launch the so-called "Win Back" program: they re-bought (or redeemed from loan) most of the old players (Kawasumi, Kinga, Ohno, Asuna Tanaka) and they added some more superstars (Sameshima) or young talents (U-17 WWC winner and MVP Hina Sugita) to boot. Add up the fact that Homare Sawa, after a sort of "sabbatical year", was firing on all cylinders again, and INAC Kobe Leonessa is currently at 1st place of Nadeshiko League with 7 wins and 1 loss after 8 matchdays (Naho has scored 3 goals so far).

Sorry for the long aside about INAC, that could appear off-topic here, but it was just to explain that INAC is now a winner-club again, probably aiming not only at Nadeshiko League but also at IWCC (International Women's Club Championship), and Kawasumi is an important piece of this team. In other words, I guess Naho could be still thrilled to try the US experience again, but I am not sure it would be easy to persuade INAC's management to let her go again. I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

On a different note, it seems to me that Reign's season is looking quite so-so at the moment, but, after all, I guess a potential 4th place + winning play-offs would be better than an heart-breaking season like last one. :unsure: As well as Gilmoy, I was :cry: after the final vs Kansas City and I am still a little grudgy about that match after months...

Goebel is working quite well though, am I right? I really admired her in Nadeshiko League and I would be happy for her if she'd have a season similar to the one she had in Kobe in 2013, when she was top-scorer of the whole league...
    I am still puzzled about her choice of the name to be written on her jersey: in Japan she had Goebel-Yanez; last year in Seattle she played as Goebel, and now just Yanez. What's up with her? :laugh: She's not sure which name she wants to wear? :giggle:

cpthomas and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, Seattle Reign FC tying a game 1-1 vs a National Team headed to WWC, China PR! :eek:

Laura Harvey rightfully brags a little in press-conference. :giggle:
    the most funny part is when she says: "Jess is the worst player to have on your bench..." (3'07") :laugh:

kolabear repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Last year's Reign would have probably won by 2 against last year's China... Still a nice result I guess. =-)

blissett repped this.
  17. rst2

rst2 New Member

May 12, 2014
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Didn't see the match.What was Laura talking about at 4:39 - what would have been the best goal ever ?

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Man has this place being quiet lately.

Anyways, the team have looked good in the last couple of matches. That will be put to test against FCKC tonight, though we can't judge much from that encounter as FCKC certainly does not have the best and influential players.

A bit off topic, Nogy got married and I saw a youtube clip from the team referring to her as Mariah Bullock. I wonder if there will be a name change on her jersey.

blissett repped this.
  19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The roster on their website was updated too.

Blaze20 repped this.
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice! Women's soccer marathon for me. I had a party this afternoon so recorded today's WWC. Finished watching Canada-England just in time for kick-off.

holden repped this.
  21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know how long Rapinoe and Solo will be taking off after the US wins the WWC? :)

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone forgot to tell the PBP guy about the name change.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    He seems to have gotten the memo now.

24. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Bev with a scrappy goal!

25. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Little with a quick strike to double the lead. Little is heating up!