Regular-Season Review

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DSFC, Nov 5, 2003.

1. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    MVP: Dema Kivalenko

Surprise of the season (player or other): Hudson not getting fired after the bad start

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Hudson not getting fired after the bad start ;) Seriously, the inconsistent play of the team

Game of the season (a few details): 4-2 comeback against NE.

Goal of the season (a few details): Stoitchkov's blast against Dallas

Young player to watch: Namoff, but since I don't really consider him young, we don't have any

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): Not scoring on a cornerkick in league play. One of the greatest efforts in futility.

2. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    MVP: Mike Petke

Surprise of the season (player or other): Eliseo Quintanilla's mid-season emergence; Namoff.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Marco's play when the chips were down.

Game of the season (a few details): DC 2; L.A. 1. We played well; we scored goals; we beat a rival at home before more than 20,000 fans.

Goal of the season (a few details):
    1) Santino's backheel feed to Eskandarian vs. Columbus. It followed a beautiful feed into the box from Olsen to Tino. Great teamwork; great soccer.
    2) Earnie's steal/70-yard-run/feed to Cerritos at the Swamp. Great individual effort from Earnie; clinched a crucial game

Young player to watch: Doug Warren; Eliseo Quintinilla can be a good #10 if he stays in shape.

2003 will be remembered for . . . : Etch and Stoitchkov bitching at referees, opponents, teammates, etc. An embarrassment, especially from Etch, who just made it so damn hard to cheer him into retirement with any degree of gusto. I feel like I let him down. I feel like he let me down. I feel like I wanna cry.

2003 will also be remembered for . . . : Ryan Nelson and Bobby Convey tossing their shirts (and Bobby his shinguards, too) into the stands after the playoff horror. Class. ... that sinking feeling after a very overweight Marco's horrific, couldn't-give-a-*#*#*#*# performance in the last pre-season match at Richmond... fans loudly cheering Prideaux's great defense vs. Cobi in the home game vs. L.A. (yes, Earnie, we unsophisticated AmeriKan soccer yahoos DO notice and cheer things other than goals)... Marco's assist on Eliseo's goal vs. Colorado (yes, Earnie...)...Dema's race-to-the-stands goalscoring celebrations.

Best memory The first 15 minutes against San Jose in the September home game that we won 2-1. Thanks Earnie, Ronald, Marco, Ben and Q2 for the best 15 minutes of soccer I've ever seen live.

3. Jester64

Jester64 Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP:
    Goalpost

Surprise of the season (player or other):
    That none of the young players played.

Disappointment of the season (player or other):
    The entire Convey to EPL soap opera. Announced transfer, gets red-carded so can't play in final game, presented jersey, transfered rejected, delayed return to play, and general management of an affair gone bad.

Game of the season (a few details):
    4th sub, OT loss to the Metroturds as it was a one game summary of the entire season. Well played games lost in OT, rubber spined refs that wouldn't prevent the use of a rule loophole, being too slow, the pathetically missed Eski header, and our futility at 4:00 pm games.

Stoickov's 40 yard free kick.

Young player to watch:
    When they're on the bench, it's not too exciting to watch them. But watching Adu at his games were fun.

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc):
    The inability to remember the first eleven, and losing every OT game.

4. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: Goalpost. Seriously, Dema, with Ben getting honorable mention. Hey, he scores, we win, how do ya beat that?

Surprise of the season (player or other):
    1) DC makes playoffs despite losing Rimando, Olsen, Reyes
    2) DC comes back from 2-0 and wins 4-2 vs NE honorable mention: Doug Warren stepping in late in the season and performing admirably in nearly filling Nick Rimando's figuratively large shoes.

Disappointment of the season (player or other):
    1) NOT seeing Reyes all season long
    2) seeing HOW Nick Rimando tore his ACL
    3)loosing our bonafide (yes, ma'am, bonafide) good luck charm Mr Ben "I'm back so beware" Olsen.

Game of the season (a few details):
    tie-
    1)DC beats The MetroScum in a pre-playoff aura and shuts them out 2-0 in the Meadowlands, and the viewing public gets to hear our beloved faithful chanting full voice to give all pause to wonder where the game was actually played.
    2)DC comes back being down 2-0 to score the tying goal, winning goal and go-ahead-finish-em-say-g'night Gracie goal- ALL IN EXTRA TIME!!! AN MLS RECORD!!!

tie-
    1) Stoichkov's 40+yard free kick blast vs Dallas
    2) Stoichkov's header to tie KC and move us FINALLY back into the playoffs

Young player to watch: easy- Milton Reyes, already a national team player (just not ours) who we have no choice but to wait and see play next season.

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): so many things-
    bad OT record, bad league officiating, (league players once again get better, refs get worse)Hristo and Etch together vs MLS, Bobby's unfortunate operatic-scenario, long stretch w/o consecutive line-ups, OT win vs NE-where every DC fan watching had to feel like a kid who just cleaned out the candy store, dominating NY in NJ only to have them beat us up at home, letting NY get into Open Final (Thank you Chicago, beers on us after Sunday), allowing NY their first software (Atlantic Cup),countless untimely injuries, Baumstark's tying 1 goal performance in goal in 3rd string same day call-up,Dema's great goal celebration runs to and past mid-field,caroming like a pinball off whatever obstacle he met....and hopefully that the pieces have been assembled for next year, hopefully a blue print can be found to achieve an efficently effective team, consistently as beautiful to watch as we've seen glimpses of or at least dreamed about this year...
    but think above or rather below all, unfortunately- DC leads MLS reg season 2003 teams with corner kicks taken, and trails every team in MLS 2003 in goals scored off corner kicks- scoring zero.