Regular-Season Review

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DSFC, Nov 5, 2003.

1. DSFC

DSFC New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I’m putting together an MLS Regular- Season Review for a soccer magazine and I wanted to get the supporters’ opinions about DC United in 2003. I would love it if some folks could answer the questions below. Thanks So Much!

MVP:

Surprise of the season (player or other):

Disappointment of the season (player or other):

Game of the season (a few details):

Goal of the season (a few details):

Young player to watch:

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc):

2. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    MVP: Dema
    Surprise of the season: We made it to the playoffs
    Disappointment of the season: How we made it to the playoffs
    Game of the season: Metros vs. DC @ RFK, we lose on the Eddie Gaven golden goal. That one still hurts.
    Goal of the season: McBride's golden goal against us 3 wks ago. That one still hurts.
    Young player to watch: Freddy Adu :rolleyes:
    2003 will be remembered for....

3. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    MVP: Dema Kovalenko... Petke gets a close second.

Surprise of the season (player or other): Brian Namoff

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Tie between Galin Ivanov and Alecko Eskandarian.

Game of the season (a few details): MetroStars OT victory using 4th substitute... definitely the most exciting game of the year IMO.

Goal of the season (a few details): Tough call, but I would vote for Petke's header against Columbus, which would have been the goal of the season if we had hung on for the one point. Hristo's header against KC wound up being the playoff spot clincher, so perhaps that one, though Petke's was more dramatic coming right before the 90th minute.

Young player to watch: There's no obvious break-out candidate here. Santino Quaranta is clearly are most talented youngster, and it will be interesting to see if he finally breaks out next year, or continues to fade into obscurity. David Stokes will also be interesting to watch... I have a feeling he'll turn out to be a solid contributor in the next two years.

2003 will be remembered for: Marco and Hristo berating the linesman and referee on Saturday after a correct offsides call will be my take-away memory because I feel that their attitude on the field and in the locker room was cancerous.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    MVP: The goalpost.

Surprise of the season: Warren playing solidly when Rimando was injured.

Disappointment of the season: Ray Hudson

Game of the season: Yeah, the MetroStars overtime win was the epitome of the season. Or Columbus's overtime victory a couple weeks back. That also was an epitome of the season.

Goal of the season: Petke's header described by bofahey.

Young player to watch: Namoff

2003 will be remembered for: Personally, for me - heavy drinking.

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli

Dema Kovalenko

That I actually shared a drink with Wanker and didn't have the urge to pop him in the face!

Too many to count - the Metroscum 4th sub game, that the Metroscum won a trophy, that the Metroscum got to their first "final", that DC United played like a team for about 4 weeks, the bitterness on Bigsoccer, the anti-Marco crap in likely his last competitive game for DC United, etc...

Clearly the 4-2 come from behind victory against New England! 4 goals in 15 minutes! Coincided with the 4 weeks that DC played well... :)

Hristo's 40 yard free kick against Dallas on July 2. 40 yards and still enough pace to beat the keeper! I don't care that Dallas is/was crap - 40 yards and beat the keeper!

Brian Namoff - after all he is in his early 20's. The other youth on this is mostly crap - yes including "golden boy" Baby Convey (way to step it up when your team needed you!)

The divisiveness between the anti-Marco/pro-Marco, anti-Hudson/pro-Hudson, anti-Trask/pro-Trask, anti-Convey/pro-Convey, etc... crowds! Bitter divisions with lasting hatred and much derision!

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: I'll go against the grain and say Mike Petke (with Olsen a very close second)

Surprise of the season (player or other): Mike Petke.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Marco Etcheverry. All the early bad luck. Almost every minute since Olsen went down.

Game of the season (a few details): On the road against the MetroStars 2-0 - DCU fans louder than the rest in the Meadowlands, dominated the game.

Goal of the season (a few details): Did we score any? I'd say the BEST goal of the year (not season) was Ronald Cerritos in Wilmington NC against the Hammerheads in Open Cup play. The hardest shot I may have ever seen during the run of play, at least from a DC player. Actually strained the back of the net and came out on the other side (bottom of net was not fully secured to the ground)

Young player to watch: Doug Warren. My lady friends and my daughter like to "watch" Devon Barclay

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): The inconsistency in our play from one week to the next

7. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    MVP - Dema Kovalenko
    Surprise of the year- DC's mid-season hot streak
    Dissappointment- The loss to NY, Gavin's goal
    Game of the season-The NE come from behind 4-2

Goal of the Year - Histro's long range bomb

young player to watch- Martins

2003 remember for- the horrible toll injuries took

8. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    MVP: Mike Petke

Surprise of the season (player or other): Eliseo Quintanilla. I've been very suprised with his developent. He was a key on this team when we were playing well (goal in our 1-0 home victory against Colorado).

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Ben Olsen's injury. For me personally it was a killer.

Game of the season (a few details): Our road 2-0 victory at the Meadowlands. I really thought it was all coming together at that point.

Goal of the season (a few details): Hristo's 40 yard bomb in Dallas. That thing was just sick.

Young player to watch: Stokes, if he ever gets off the bench, I liked his Open Cup play.

2003 will be remembered for . . . Our woeful OT record.

9. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    MVP: Dema Kovalenko

Surprise of the season (player or other): Bryan Namoff

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Bobby Convey

Game of the season (a few details): v. NE, 4 ggoal romp out of nothing. Come on man, from United, you must be joking.

Goal of the season (a few details): It should've been Petke's v. Cowlumbus but it's not.

Young player to watch: Namoff, Q2

A seemingly unending string of last second collapses

The 4th sub and subsequent loss (see above)

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

Disappointment of the season (player or other):eek:vertime loss to the scum

Game of the season (a few details): at the swamp, 2-0 win, best game DCU has played in 4 years.

Goal of the season (a few details):cerritos goal at wilmington, mike's goal to tie cowlumbus, stoich's goal off the freekick early in the year (i have forgotten against whom)

Young player to watch:namoff/warren

11. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: Ben Olsen

Surprise of the season (player or other): Mike Petke becoming a fan favorite

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Bobby Convey

Game of the season (a few details): The Cardiac Arrest game in New England - leading to the chant "We'll give you 80 minutes" The next time we played the Revs and after chanting that scoring the winner in stoppage time.

Goal of the season (a few details): Ali's goal v NY

Young player to watch: We don't have young players to watch, our coach doesn't play them

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): Us getting back in the playoffs and as the year we had 4 Center mids (Marco, Hristo, Bobby, Earnie)

12. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999

Brian Namoff

Disappointment of the season (player or other)
    Losing Rimando and Olsen just when we had turned the corner. Lack of contribution by our draftees.

Game of the season (a few details): The miracle comeback against New England, scoring 4 second half goals to overcome a 2-0 NE lead.

Stoich's 40 yard free kick goal.

Young player to watch: Namoff and, hopefully, Adu

2003 will be remembered for . . .
    What I'll remember most this year is the terrible officiating. The little Napoleons made the game about them. They destroyed the entertainment of my following the team and wanting to see professional soccer. I actually went home from many games totally frustrated and angry at the officials. Who needs to waste money for that?
    And no, I do recognize DC's poor performance.

One other memory. We had lots of good national anthem singers this year for the games at RFK.

13. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    especially TalonsB_tch

14. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    MVP: Olsen (You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.)

Surprise of the season (player or other): Free beer at the SE tailgates. I didn't see that one coming.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): All the OT losses with no OT wins. Brutal.

Game of the season (a few details): 2-0 to DC in the Swamp. Makes you wonder where we'd be if Rimando and Olsen had stayed healthy.

Goal of the season (a few details): Stoichkov's blast in the June 21 home match vs. NE. I don't think I've ever seen (in person) a ball struck with that much venom.

Young player to watch: Brian Namoff.

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): Personally, for the weekday Road Trip to the Swamp. Overall, for the "hav-oc" wreaked by injuries, call-ups, a failed transfer, and having Hristo and Etch on the same team.

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    MVP:
    Dema Kovalenko

Bobby Convey seemingly transferred to Tottenham and then denied at the last moment.

Disappointment of the season (player or other):
    Team Leadership [or lack thereof] Coaching, scouting, and “leaders” on the field.

Game of the season (a few details):
    DC vs. New England 07/27/03 … it was flashback city to the glory days

Hristo Stoitchkov vs. Dallas 07/02/03 … An amazing strike from 40 yards that was too powerful for Countess to keep out.

Young player to watch:
    Bryan Namoff

The unbearable weight of underachievement and the wedge it drove between fellow supporters

16. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: Goalpost

Surprise of the season (player or other): We actually got to the playoffs.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Hristo and Marco making me ashamed to wear a dc jersey after they truely displayed team leadership....not. Sorry guys, but playing for 5 minutes and screaming at the ref for 85 is not the way to go.

Game of the season (a few details): Game vs. Kansas City to get into the playoffs. After we got in, it was the happiest moments of my life. The drum circle after the game in Lot8 brought out tears in more than one person.

Goal of the season (a few details): Mike Petkes header vs. Columbus. Gave us hope of the playoffs, despite being quickly let down.

Young player to watch: Alecko Eskandarian. Despite being a let down this season, i think he might have a really good few to come.

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): The ups and downs. The close calls, and the number of cards dc recieved for dissent.

17. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    MVP: Ryan Nelsen

Surprise of the season (player or other): Bryan Namoff. I seriously thought he'd be in the A League by now. Instead, he's been one of our most consistent players.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Where to start ... I guess the biggest disappointment for me was Bobby Convey. For all the apologists who talk about stats not meaning much, etc., someone in a midfield role, especially someone clearly counted on to attack from that midfield role, needs to produce more than two goals over the course of a season.

Game of the season (a few details): Heading into a three-game series against its biggest rival, and with the chance of a playoff berth in the balance, DC goes to NJ and dominates the scum in their house, running out 2-0 winners.

Goal of the season (a few details): Hristo Stoichkov teeing it up against Dallas from 40 yards out (Honorable Mention: Stoichkov against Kansas City, season finale - nothing special, but it did get us back to the playoffs for the first time this millenium).

Young player to watch: Define "young." Doug Warren is 22, and he was the only player that age or younger who played all that well this season.

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): Hudson finally turning DC into Fusion North - Hacking, diving and dissent. But leaving aside the pretty goals part.

(An aside: For those talking about "the wedge it drove between fellow supporters" - you guys are taking posts on an internet message board way, way too seriously)

18. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: Petke

Suprise: That I picked Petke tied with making it into the playoffs and playing like crap once we got there (this could change on sunday)

Disappointment: The way we played in our first playoff appearance in 4 years and then to have only two players come over to the supporters groups after our last game at home

Game of the year: come from behind vs. New England

Goal of the year: Petke header against Coumbus, I thought we were in.

Young player to watch: none played enough to judge

2003 will be remembered for: the fights amongst fans on the boards and in the stands over players and one in particular, (of his mullet I will not speak)

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: Ben Olsen

Surprise of the season (player or other): Brian Namoff hands down

Disappointment of the season (player or other): All the OT losses just a killer

Goal of the season (a few details): Hristo's 40 yard free kick in Dallas. Just Deadly!!!

Game of the season-The NE come from behind 4-2 win when all looked lost

Young player to watch: I'll go against the grain and say Brian Carroll

2003 will be remembered for . . . finally for the first time in 3 plus years driving home and
    not feeling like this team was going now where. There was no longer a hopeless feeeling about
    DC United games. That felt great.

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Re: Re: Regular-Season Review

That was me (my quote anyway), and maybe so, but there a many people who have noticed a steady decline in the level of conversation around here.

21. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    MVP: Dema Kovalenko

Surprise of the season (player or other): The announcement of Bobby Convey's sale to Tottenham and it's subsequent rejection

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Injuries... everywhere... Starting with Reyes, then on to Quintanilla just as he was heating up... Olsen, Rimando, Santino, Stewart... etc... It's just something we had no way to expect.

Game of the season (a few details): DC United away at NY/NJ MetroStars on Sept 25. We went into that game and performed outstanding... Thiago had a immediate impact on the game, Olsen had an outstanding game, and everyone generally played a solid game. Plus, the 40 of us or so that took the trip out sang all 8000 Metro fans that showed up.

Goal of the season (a few details): Stoichkov tieing goal against KC Wizards on the last game of the season. It wasn't so much the performance of the goal as it was the pressure/situation.

Young player to watch: Going forward... it's hard to say. Doug Warren will surely have a strong impact on MLS, but for curiosity's sake, Convey and Quaranta have still not lived up to their expectations

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): [the Rock's voice]DC United has finally - returned - to the Post Season![/the Rock's Voice]

22. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP:
    Dema, runners up, Olsen & Petke

Surprise of the season:
    Namoff

Disappointment of the season:
    trading Ali away

Game of the season:
    4-2 over NE

Goal of the season:
    Hristo's 40' bomb, Petke's header for OT against the Cows

Young player to watch:
    Martins

2003 will be remembered for...
    Injuries, injuries, injuries!

23. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    MVP: Dema Kovalenko or Mike Petke Toss up

Surprise of the season (player or other): Making the playoffs.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Earnie Stewart's inability to find a role within the team.

Game of the season (a few details): Come back win vs. New England on the raod scoring 4 goals in 10 minutes to win 4-2

Goal of the season (a few details): Stoitchkov Free kick from near midfield against DJ Countess in Dallas.

Young player to watch: Young players were not a big enough factor for DC this season...I would have to say Bryan Namoff

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): DC united losing 3 matches in the 99+ minute and 2 other matches in Overtime. The team could just not get a break in OT.

24. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    MVP: Dema Kovalenko - he is asked to play a position he had never ventured to play as a pro and came out of it a much better all-around player..

Suprise of the season: Bobby Convey transfer all but done.. This really came out of nowhere.. The ensuing collapse when it was a done deal really scuttled Bobby's season..

Dissapointment of the season: the 5 OT losses on 5 shots on goal.. It simply can't be done any worse than that..

Game of the season: United's 2-0 win at the Meadowlands.. The most comprehensive and decisive win of the season and at a rather important time as well.. A close second goes to the 4-2 comeback but really we were dreadful for the first 83 minutes of that match..

Goal of the season: No contest.. Hristo's 40 yard free kick to seal a 3-1 win at Dallas..

Young player to watch: David Stokes - tall, quick and skilled.. Very raw at this point in his career but with the right training, he could be a National Team caliber player in short time...

2003 will be remebered for: finally getting into the playoffs after a 4 year drought..

25. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I forgot to add to my '03 recap no goals from corner kicks in league play all season. We're talking around 180 corners.