Regular-Season Review

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by DSFC, Nov 5, 2003.

1. DSFC

DSFC New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I’m putting together an MLS Regular- Season Review for a soccer magazine and I wanted to get the supporters’ opinions about the Crew in 2003. I would love it if some folks could answer the questions below. Thanks So Much!

MVP:

Surprise of the season (player or other):

Disappointment of the season (player or other):

Game of the season (a few details):

Goal of the season (a few details):

Young player to watch:

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc):

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we did win the Open Cup... wait a minute, I've been living in the past!! We really did suck this year, didn't we?

4. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP:
    If forced to pick, McBride

Surprise of the season (player or other):
    Paule
    runner up to West

Disappointment of the season (player or other):
    The Underperformers (worst first): Crew management and coaches, Williams, Oughton, Torres, Martino, Garcia, Maissoneuve, Dunseth (prior to trade)

Game of the season (a few details):
    The 3-0 home win vs. DC United - probably the best the team looked all season

Goal of the season (a few details):
    McBride's overtime header from Chacon in the last game vs. DC United - anything that swings the mood for 20,000 from celebration to funeral that quickly is worthy.

Young player to watch:
    Traeger

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc):

Complete frustration, with the club from management to the field, with the sour taste of depressing doubt left for 2004.

5. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    MVP: Buddle...he showed what he's amde of

Surprise of the season (player or other):Surprisingly predictable

Disappointment the season (player or other): The season

Game of the season (a few details): The second one where I thought we were good.

Goal of the season (a few details): Not bothered

Young player to watch: Buddle

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): No we shall for get it

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: None

Surprise of the season (player or other): Mark "The Stiff" Williams - No one would have guessed how truly awful a guy with his resume could be; he can't run, he can't jump and he can't think. Maybe "surprise" is the wrong word; "shocking" might be better.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Greg "The Idiot" Andrulis not getting fired

Game of the season (a few details): Risk is nice. Some people prefer Monopoly.

Goal of the season (a few details): Brian West leaps straight up in the air and punch-volleys poiunt blank into the net. Second is Diego Walsh one touching a long pass and then slotting it home.

Young player to watch: We had no newcomers who showed anything much at all. Traeger played about five minutes. Nelson Akwari turned in a couple decent performances, so he'll have to get it by default. We just didn't see anyone else.

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): The Crew achieving a level of suckitude previously believed by modern science to be impossible. Incompetent coaching, last minute collapses and gutless management making absurd personnel decisions.

7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not sure if this is the West goal you are referring to, but in the 3-0 win at home over DC, West had that amazing "Matrix" like goal. That goal was pretty damn amazing, especially when nobody expected West to connect. He levitated in the air and side-volleyed that ball like none other. Other than that, I could name several world class goals, but I think they all were scored against us and caused us to lose. Greg knows about that the best... ask him.

8. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    our prodigous coach talked about a lot of world-class goals scored against us. maybe they could merit default.

surprise of the season: trading brian dunseth away for some practice help. didn't we learn our lesson from the T-Bone trade? even the idiotic burn fans know that we duped.

disappointment of the season: that i went to as many games as i did.

game of the season: our 3-0 win at home v DC. for once, we looked classy.

goal of the season: any of the 3 from that game. don't forget about the second goal, with west shaking off cry baby ben down the line while being mauled and raped and then serving a 40 yard bending cross to mcbride who proceeded to school fat nick rimando and whiny ryan nelson in the art of heading.

young player to watch: any of our 2 key midseason aquisitions. oh wait, APC and williams are both older than 35. never mind.

2003 will be remembered for: absolute BS. pure and simple. for once the fans were ripped off and deserve a refund.

9. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    how's this for consistent mediocracy?

Columbus has never had less than 37 points in a season, never more than 45.
    We've had 38 points in 3 of that last 4 seasons(2000, 2002, 2003)

i wonder what we'll have next year.