Regular-Season Review

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by DSFC, Nov 5, 2003.

1. DSFC

DSFC New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I’m putting together an MLS Regular Season Review for a soccer magazine and I wanted to get the supporters’ opinions about the Rapids in 2003. I would love it if some folks could answer the questions below. Thanks So Much!

MVP:

Surprise of the season (player or other):

Disappointment of the season (player or other):

Game of the season (a few details):

Goal of the season (a few details):

Young player to watch:

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc):

2. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I'll take a shot at this:

MVP: John Spencer
    Came back after an injury plagued 2002 season and tied his team record for goals in a season and was a total leader on and off the field for the Rapids

Surprise of the season (player or other): Nat Borchers
    Developmental player, steps in and solidifies the back four. Tremendous story.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Tim Hankinson
    Taking a semi-final team that won 13 games in 2002 and leading them to only 11 wins in 2003, with two extra games.

Game of the season (a few details):Rapids v Wizards, July 4, 2003
    The win that started the incredible streak. Chung scores the winner in extra time in front of 63,000+.

Goal of the season (a few details): John Spencer, July 9, 2003 v LA
    Schools Ricky Lewis with a sombrero flick and scores in his 6th consecutive game. Close second goes to Chris Carrieri for his left footed volley against NE on June 14.

Young player to watch: Kyle Beckerman
    Came to the Rapids with a lot of hype but finally got a chance to play in 2003 on a regular basis and improved over the course of the season. Next year will be his breakout season.

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): The streak
    From July 4 to September 13, the Rapids went 10-2-1.

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: Spencer, comeback player of the year, but certainly, the emotional center of this team.

Surprise of the season (player or other): Same again, Borchers.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Grimandi fiasco. Can you think of a worse way to start off the season? Awful, nothing good came out of that whole situation.

Game of the season (a few details): Turnaround match early vs. New England. 4 goals and Colorado realized that they had a team that could put goals in the net, after scoring only 4 all season before that game. Spencer took the reigns of the team in this game.

Goal of the season (a few details): Carrieri's volley vs. NE. Might be top 5 in the MLS this year, but man, the MLS had some great goals this year.

Young player to watch: Borchers. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the Olympic roster next year (or whatever year they hold the Olympics, since Athens is a complete organizational mess...)

2003 will be remembered for . . . (game, moment, chant, incident etc): I hate to mention it now... but the Garlick/Cannon saga, with the final chapter being the inexplicable benching of Garlick right before the playoffs. Instead of us knowing (even if we lose to KC) that we simply lost steam at the end of the season and our team just didn't pull it together for the playoffs, we will always be able to wonder what might have happened if Hanki hadn't rocked/sunk the boat by pulling this stunt the day before the playoffs started. What if Garlick had been in goal, would we be going to KC with a lead??

4. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    MVP:

Chung. Spenny was injured for stretches. When Chung was bad the team was bad and when Chung was good the team was winning. The is value of both the positive and negative sort.

Borchers.

Disappointment of the season (player or other):

Grimandi.

July 4th. Always an opportunity for the Rapids to disappoint or inspire the casual fans.

Spencer v LA.

Young player to watch:

Beckerman.

The streak. Although the Public Enemy on the pregame PA system was enlightening. I think I can only now appreciate PE now in my old age.

--------------------

I think you'll find a lot of agreement on several of these points.

5. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    MVP: Spencer

Nat Borchers comes off the bench as a developmental player and never looks back.

Disappointment of the season (player or other): Tim Hankinson. This team desparately needs a new coach.

4th of July game against KC. Rapids score first in the first half, shortly followed by KC. 1-1 at HT. 2nd half: Chung scores late in the half...Rapids up 2-1. Seems like we're taking this one but then in the 90th minute KC evens it at 2-2. Now we're headed to overtime. Or are we? Less than two minutes later, at the end of stoppage, Chung nails the game winner. Rapids win 3-2. Even the people who showed up only for the fireworks with 15 minutes left in the game were on their feet screaming!

Spenny's flick over his shoulder and pas the defender against LA on July 9th. GWG after 2 others were called back on bogus offsides calls.

Young player to watch:
    Borchers, Borchers, and Borchers. I can't say enough good things about this guy.

Tim Hankinson yanking the starting goalie the night before the first playoff game. Yeah, I know that's not the regular season but it IS what the year will be remembered for now. Way to go Hank! Did I mention this team desprately needs a new coach?

6. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    MVP: Spennie ... could have been league MVP

Disappointment: Grimandi ... left this team without it's major improvement from the season past.

Game of the season: July 4th ... start of the turnaround

Goal of the season: CC's volley vs. NE ... I agree that it's one of the best goals scored this year in MLS

Young Player to watch: Beckerman ... he gets better every game.

2003 will be remembered for it's downs ups and downs.

7. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

8. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Re: Re: Regular-Season Review

Oh that's good ... can I change my vote.

I think it's overlooked because it's an abstract concept to us still.