Regular season Euro games in the US ?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by nyrmetros, Nov 12, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd have to say the odds of that happening are virtually zero, for a number of reasons.

For a start, unlike some american sports teams which I believe (I could be wrong) play the odd home game elsewhere, there is absolutely no history of anybody else doing this in Europe. Man Utd don't play the odd home game in Plymouth for example.
    It would immensely piss off the team's fans for a start and would be seen purely as a marketing gimmick (as that's exactly what it would be). I think also you may get one or two objections from the away team, who rather than having to hire a bus for a day would have to be booking transatlantic flights and generally knackering up their schedule by having to take an extra several days out to get over jet-lag etc.

Would it even be worth it anyway? If they can get 60,000 in Seattle for a friendly, then why would they need to offer a better game? Also, the odds are you're more likely to get a full house for a friendly against two big teams than you would for Man Utd v Portsmouth.
    Financially would it be worth it? They may have played to full houses, but was there any kind of TV deal for the games? Bearing in mind the high ticket prices in the premiership, where anything below $45 would be cheap, Man Utd would almost certainly lose money by playing a game there.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    plus it is illegal according to CONCACAF at the moment........

It is not uncommon for American teams to play "home games" at a stadium other than their real home.

4. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like who?

5. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not "common," but there is a building trend of opening the seasons in Japan or Europe.( The Mets played the Cubs in 2000 in Tokyo.) I think it's not out of the realm to expect in 3-5 years, MLB, NBA, and NFL having teams play their first games of the season in Europe, Asia, or Mexico.

On Richard's points, I'm not so sure. With the economics being what they are in European football, it would not surprise me to see teams try this. It may very well be doomed to fail, but greed is a funny thing... If I had to bet, I would bet an an Italian team(s) would try it first.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Buffalo Sabers play a few games in Rochester to promote the team as Rochester is home to Buffalo's AHL team....

The NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL have all played regular season games outside of the country...

The Packers used to play a game at the old Milwaukee County Stadium each year...

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The top teams, the ones likely to be invited over, are rich. For them the economics couldn't be better.

The pre-season tours might well be lucrative, compared to playing pre-season matches at lower division clubs like Bury or Stockport or somewhere like that, but a home Premiership match for Man Utd brings in ticket revenue alone of somewhere around the $3.5 million mark. Even ignoring the appalling negative publicity such a stunt would generate, making such a match financially worthwhile would be very difficult. Even from a merchandising point of view, even if they establish themselves as the most popular club in the country, it's still very much a niche market. It's not like in Asia where there really is very little domestic competition for sporting loyalties and shirt sales will be in the millions.

I think the same would go for Serie A clubs as well. On the other hand Italian cup games could be a possibilty as support for that competition is traditionally dreadful. I think Juventus pulled in under 1000 for a home game a year or two ago.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    University of Alabama plays one or two football games (and sometimes basketball) a year in Birmingham, eventhough home stadium is in Tuscaloosa, 60 miles away. Auburn, which is over 100 miles from Birmingham has played the occasional baskeball game in B'ham too.

9. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're assuming that these teams would be invited. IMO, all it would take is an American version of Roman Abramovich to assert his influence with a scheme that presents a financial win-win to his league's team to participate in the match.

I agree with you, this is not likely, but I think there is enough economic problems within European football, that it's not an impossibilty. And with someone like Silvio Berlusconi owning a club and media outlets...who's to say in the future someone like him wouldn't try a stunt like this?

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    And as was stated before, thankfully CONCACAF does not allow it at the moment. I hope those rules don't change anytime soon. I have no problem with tours or exhibition games. But regular season Euro games I would object too....