Regis Revisited

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SgtSchultz, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Re: Great Onyewu article about his future.

She worked for Nike, not the US government.
    He was terrible in WCQs.

I'm married; I have no girlfriends.

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

David Regis became a Naturalized American Citizen through marrigage. His wife was born in Savannah, GA (they met when both were living in Strasburg)

In what WCQs was he terrible?
    I remember him as being one of the best technical players on the US team just prior to WC98. During the World Cup, he was one of only a few USA players that did play well.

Many fans immediately wrote him off because of "how" and "when" he came to the team. It was during the same time that Harkes was booted off... and the team was in disarray.

If you remember it differently... well that's fine... but it doesn't make either of us "right"

The only thing we know for sure... his American citizenship is just as valid as anyone elses... (he just can't be elected president - so don't write him in on Tuesday)

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm trying to understand how this thread got started? Did it get split off from something in N&A?

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was in YA,I believe.

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And before this thread goes away, I might as well strike the dead horse again. Regis sucked, in WC98 and anytime he put the US shirt on. I've never been impressed with his skills, not even the falling down diving part.

Ohh, and as for him being our best option in WC98, far from it. I would have taken Jeff Agoos. And seeing as how Agoos didn't go to France in 98 I would have preferred to have had an orange cone in place of David Regis.

He sucks (hoping that Steve Sampson brings him to the LA Galaxy to play a 3-6-1 formation).

6. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD

Thanks for the nugget regarding Regis' wife's citizenship and place of birth.

1. Are you freaking kidding me? He sucked in the US-HON game at RFK in
    9/01. He was F*ing dreadful. He played close to where I was sitting
    in the 2nd half and he got waxed time after time. Pavon and Tyson
    embarassed him continuosly. Had Pavon's finishing been better that
    day, we would have lost 5-2, not 3-2. That was the worst US Men's
    player performance that I have personally witnessed at RFK. Regis
    was F*ing horrible. I also blame Arena. He should have sat his @SS
    after it was apparent that he was being outclassed that day.
    Everyone has a bad day. Instead of ripping him in the press, Bruce
    needed to look in the f*ing mirror. He's was the coach. In one day
    he completely undermined the guy's already shaky standing with
    the supporters. I adore Arena but he might as well have signed that
    guys death cert that day because it was clear to everyone that Arena
    wrote him off that day.

2. I agree with you about people disliking him from jump street. Part of the
    problem was all of the pre-arrival HYPE. I blame Sampson and the
    Federation.

3. You on right on about that guy's citizenship. Well stated. His citizenship
    is as good as any other Yank's.

The guy was a class player who had one dreadful performance and never lived up to the Hype while with the Nats. I appreciate the fact that he took his time to serve the country, even if I thought that he was a disappointment... I respect him for that and wish him nothing but the best...

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999

Do you remember who was supposed to play in front of him (as left mid) in many (if not most) of the qualifying matches? Do you remember how much that player really played in front of Regis (both defensively and offensively)?

8. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999

Hype?? By whom? :confused:

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

which came first, post or screen name?

Oh yeah, if he was so bad, how did he get called up for two different WC campaigns under two different coaches, played in Germany and France, played in the hex... na, na, na-na-na.

Regis was getting long in the tooth by '02 and had a few bad games no doubt, but the idea that he was never any good is asinine.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Regis is retired. An option one might consider.

It does strike me as funny how venomous the posts become whenever Regis is brought up. The guy never bitched about sitting in the WC. Never burned his uniform. Played the game, flew over from France when asked. Got the stupid coaching decision of Hondo home dumped on him, but, you know, he's French and all - well, he's from Martinique, but you know what I mean - so he must suck.

11. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD

Pleeeease. That guy had so much HYPE tagged to him it wasn't funny. He was billed as the definitive piece to our defensive puzzle. All of the "guy is a standout in the French league", all of his undeniable Euro expereince was supposed to have been a lock. He's gonna be a difference maker because of his resume. He is exactly the sort of addition that our team needs to arrive to the "next level" blah, blah, blah...

You may not remember it but I do. I doubt that I am the only one.

Seemingly nice guy. A teamplayer. BUT HE NEVER LIVED UP TO THE PRE-ARRIVAL HYPE WITH THE NATS.

12. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD

Chowd. I'm from Baltimore, so I'm not sure that I even really know what "sanctimonius" actually means. ;)

But seriously. Please don't choke on your vomit just yet. We need you around for your unique point of view. What more do you want from the guy regarding his citizenship, Bro?

As far as "high-minded" goes. I don't really think it's high-minded to express a different opinion. I think that's a very American thing to do. More importantly, it's a very Baltimoron thing to do. But thanks for the props...

If you care, you can refer to my other posts on the thread...
    If not, it's all good too... I'm not trying to convert ya...

13. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't bitch about sitting the bench either........hell even a friendly against the Faroe Islands with no television or people in the stands. The reason he couldn't bitch is because he knew he sucked and Frankie showed him how to play. Even the orange cone in practice/training moved faster and had better crosses and passes. The cone didn't bitch either from what I heard.

Whether he's from France, Martinique, Brazil, Nigeria, Australia, England, or the USA I don't care. He sucked. The one thing I can recall is that after every US match I saw him play in, I was right here arguing how he stunk the pitch up
    and the same people returned saying how good he played even though it was obvious he didn't complete crosses, gave passes away, and got schooled by opponents.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, you're not Jeff Agoos then, are you?

The fact that you were here after "every game" saying how he stunk (were you here after the Hondo away game arguing for Frankie? Really? hmmmm.)

Let see, with Regis on the field we gave up 9 goals in 12 games in qualifying, shut out Mexico and Costa Rica home, Jamaica away, gave up a single goal in Azteca, qualified for the World Cup. Regis was never a "great" player, but he was consistently better than the options, has better on the ball skills then Frankie and in his prime was a better play than Frankie at his best. Regis did, however, lose too much with his injuries and age and ran out of gas at just the wrong time (or for the USMNT, just the right time - he and Agoos together would have been much too slow for the games in JK.)

It's amazing that guys like Stewart and Regis "suddenly" suck. For those of us old enough to know, it's called aging.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm stunned there's a debate about the quality of a player like Regis.

He was good, not great. But, he never said he'd be great. We might have hoped he'd be great, but he never said he'd be. I mean, if he was great, he'd have been playing for France. So, anyone who assumed he'd be great was living in fantasy land.

But, too say that a player who made two World Cup teams and played in a bunch of UEFA Cups lacked talent is just plain crazy.

You want to talk about a national teamer that sucked? How 'bout one Mike Burns? Why isn't there a thread talking about how much THIS guy sucked. This guy DID play badly in the World Cup, the same one that Regis played in and played well. It wasn't Regis, but Burns, who put the US in a HUGE hole in the WC because he was unable to adequately stand next to the post on a corner kick.

What about Eric Wynalda, who had shown well in his previous two WCs but who played LIKE CRAP in France 98 then had the temerity to bitch and moan about the coach, as if that was why he played badly.

How 'bout Tab Ramos, who insisted he was fit and healthy and able to compete in France but turns out didn't have the legs to compete... and still had the temerity to bitch about the coach.

How 'bout Chad Deering, who played like dog crap in defensive midfield in his only start and was quickly and appropiately benched.

How 'bout Tom Dooley, who was a warrior most of his time for the US but who was too old in France and who got burned by Klinnsmann for the second German goal.

How 'bout Claudio Reyna, who got bitch-slapped by Jens Jerimies in the opening minutes of the Germany game in France and then disappeared... for the rest of the damn tournament. (In fairness to Claudio, he had a very good WC in Korea and has played well in plenty of qualifiers since.)

I have the tapes of those WC games and from time to time I watch them just as a reminder of how far we've come. And, one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that the least of our problems in those games was David Regis.

Yeah, maybe inserting him so late into the side and benching Agoos in favor of him screwed up the chemistry. But, this team had chemistry issues before Regis and they would have had them if Regis had never met an American woman. The Harkes fiasco? Isolating them in the middle of Nowhere, France? Waldo and Ramos? Please, this team was doomed before it stepped on the field against Germany.

And, even if Regis starting may have pissed off some players, I will go do my deathbed contending that in 1998 he was a better left back than Jeff Agoos. And, I say that as someone who has had DC United season tickets for nine years and who has great respect and admiration for Jeff Agoos. But, he didn't have the wheels to compete at the international level in a flank position in 1998. And, let's not forget that it's not like Agoos hadn't had some, ahem, issues, in the qualifiers for France. Remember the back pass "assist" for Jamaica's goal against RFK? The stoopid red card at Azteca? Yeah, we tied those games, but that was despite Agoos, not because of him. He was a rock in qualifying for WC 02 but he was often shaky at LB leading up to France 98 and I don't blame Steve Sampson for trying to upgrade there. So please, let's not act like Regis started in place of someone like Roberto Carlos.

16. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002

He was in the Bundesliga. You might try and get your facts straight if you want anyone to take you seriously. I get the feeling some people on here didn't even follow soccer back in 98.

17. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road

Sandon, you may be the first DCU fan in BigSoccer history to ever criticize Agoos on the USA Mens boards. I must congradulate you on your uncanny ability to see reality where your fellow DCU fans cannot see the same as it pertains to Regis'/Agoos' national team careers.

18. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD

You might want to check the record if you want to be taken seriously.
    Did the dude not play well in France? RC Lens being his last club prior to moving to Karlsruher? Well enough to make a move to the Bundesliga?

I thought that it was a given that everyone knew that he was playing in thee Bundesliga prior to being recruited by Sampson. I figures that most supposedly hardcore fans knew that. The point being that his success in Germany wasn't supposed to ba a flash in the pan. He did it at home and in Germany.

Sorry that I had to clarify that. Thought the other stuff was pretty much common knowledge.

Your amusing attempts to take a piss reeks a bit of insecurity and/or the need to find some other forms of entertainment... Or at least the desire to try to wind people up.

As far as the " not even following soccer back in '98" bit, that was a cute little swipe. "little" being the key word.

Because I'm soooo worried that you may not take me seriously, I'm gonna start working on my "Serious-soccer-fan" resume, Bro. I'm gonna get REALLY defensive and send you a list of my impressive super-Nats'-fan credntials. And I'm gonna fax it to you ASAP. Coz my never ending need for football fan validation really hangs on whether or not you think that I'm as soccer savy as you. ;)

Keep waitin' by the fax... It's on it's way. I really put a huge premiuim on trying to be "taken seriously" on such crucial matters as the legacy of David Regis with the US MNT by people that I don't even know and will probably never have the pleasure of meeting (AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry for the ridicoulously long runon sentence. Pleaase forgive me on and all. My wounded ego can't take any more criticisms, so all of you with Master's Degrees in English need not quote this post, pointing out my glaring deficiencies in grammar and syntax. There is no need to make me feel even worse about my self than ALLOSM has). My therapist and I were anticipating an impending breakthrough but you have just set me back emotionally, using one, single, solitary post. Touche! The (cyber) pen IS mightier than the sword.

Bro, looks like you are the one worries a bit too much about being taken seriously. I'm from Baltimore. We don't EXPECT ANYONE to take us seriously. EVER. It's not part of our culture or our genetic makeup.

Lighten up. Turn that frown :mad: upside down :)

Life's way too short...

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Regis had his moments, which is why he was the lead left back for the U.S. team for 4 years.

He passed the ball well. Also, while he was not consistently a great defender, he took undeserved crap at times. For example, the goal conceded against Italy occured after he was grabbed with two hands around the waist from a guy who wasn't playing the ball. Maybe he went down easily, but as my Italian friend said, the main problem was "Sicilian refereeing" on what was an obvious foul.

But Bruce made the right decision at WC '02. Regis was in bad form just prior to the cup, and Frankie filled in very nicely for David, thank you very much.

20. jds

jds New Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    it is true that regis made some mistakes, but who doesn't - at times I also complained about his play....but this is my lasting impression of regis (taken from marc connolly's "cup full of memories")

"Noticing that David Regis, banished to the bench after starting eight of 10 qualifiers and most every friendly before, after or in between, was the first player to reach Donovan after his goal against Mexico to tackle him in celebration. That sort of scene would not have happened in 1998."

I noticed it while watching the game, and that is how I will always remember him now - classy.

21. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Great post.

22. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with the post or the fact that someone tagged "sand on my butt" posted it. its a tag that would not lead you to believe in the potential of the poster -- book, judge, cover thing and all that.

23. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    You know, after all these years on this website, I never realized that "Sandon Mibut" was "sand on my butt." I just thought it was some weird foreign name.