Reggina [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by BrianCappellieri, Jul 23, 2002.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    blah blah blah blah. think you're pretty invincible, don't you. we'll see.....

2. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    my prediction was reggina 2-1 AC milan.
    thanks

3. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    Lazio 3-0 Reggina

did anyone watch the game?

Bogdani got injured. now leon and bogdani are both out.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I had it on but wasn't watching because I had work to do in another room. I walked by a couple of times and glanced at the game for a few seconds, and Lazio scored both times. It was horrible. I was recording the game for my husband who is on a business trip, and I just erased it. He wouldn't have wanted to see.

5. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I see Reggina fired Mutti after the loss to Lazio...

I don't recall seeing a coach saying a "draw would have been fair" after losing by 3 goals before....

6. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    "Napoli's boss" would be Colomba, who was Reggina's manager for the past several seasons before being lured by $$$$ from Napoli last summer. But that's not who they are talking about - they're talking about Luigi Di Canio who coached Napoli prior to Colomba's move. Before that, he had several successful years at Udinese. Napoli - coach's graveyard. The move is official, apparently.

8. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    don't like taking anyone from napoli in this era...I hope Reggina can stay up but I'm doubtful...

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    There is life yet. Picked up Bonazzoli from Parma, and he scored in the first game with the team, a 1-0 win over Lazio at the Olimpico. Sweet revenge for the mid-week thrashing they got at home which led to Mutti's getting fired.

Also, Nakamura has been signed (was on loan) and Reggina is denying he's for sale (although whether they survive or not will certainly determine that).

Atalanta has suddenly picked up the pace, however, so Reggina is still in the relegation zone. But with Modena dropping through the table like a rock, things aren't looking quite so grim.

10. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Yea. Things are slowly getting better for Reggina. They are one pint out of the drop zone. But, in their next game they'll have to play highflying Perugia at home. After, they face Inter away, which Inter will win! Then they face Como at home, a game they'll NEED to win. Then away at Brescia which they'll need to do well in. All the game sfrom here on are really important for Reggina.

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Reggina 3 Perugia 1. That's two wins in a row and now above the relegation zone. Woohoo!!!

12. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    I think reggina can stay in. Especially if they carry on with this run for a while!

13. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Well done. I seriously thought they'd just roll over and die after getting demolished by Juve in December, but they've responded with 3 straight wins!

Hey, and Inter isn't outta reach. Remember the last game? They had it tied until Crespo scored in the 90'.

14. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    The Inter-Reggina game is on TV Sunday and I'll be pulling for Reggina. A rinky-dink No. Virginia public TV stations shows a game from RAI tape-delayed on Sunday afternoons.

I guess Reggina may be peaking right now. The standings indicate they've won 4 of their last 5. Meaning they've picked up 12 points in their last 5 games after picking up only 7 points in their first 14. So in spite of a thrashing from Juve, fans may look back on these as the "glory days in Serie A" if the team doesn't manage to stay up.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I like your handle :)

Reggina has really picked up steam since the arrival of Bonazzoli from Parma. They needed a quality striker and - though I haven't seen them in a full game - the highlights I've seen indicate he is the real deal. Before the break, it seems like Reggina was giving up the first goal each week. Last Sunday, finally, they SCORED the first goal! Of course, they then gave one right back, but settled down to win anyway. I hadn't even realized it was 4 wins out of 5.

It'll be interesting to see how they do against Inter. Their home loss back in September was as agonizing as they go.

16. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Well, this one wasn't so agonizing. Reggina came out with lots of fire and confidence and could have easily gone ahead on 2 early opportunities before Vieri put away Cordoba's cross to put Inter up 1-0. It remained a close game until things fell apart with two quick Inter goals between about 39' and 43'. The first was Kallon putting away a rebound after Belardi was only able to parry a shot from Okan. Then a few minutes later Kallon converted a PK after Diana was called for taking down Emre.

That pretty much burst Reggina's bubble. I thought the game was quite good until Vieri went out after about 30 minutes with what looked like some kind of muscle injury. Then Inter spent several minutes committing retaliatory fouls.

It's interesting that the second half was much more one-sided but scoreless. Reggina couldn't even get help on goal differential - a PK against Cannavaro was waived off after he tried to volleyball spike a ball away from a Reggina attacker, but (according to the AR) missed making contact.

Are we allowed to mention results from other games here?

Anyway it was a good day for Inter and a bad one for Reggina. But Reggina showed they can compete with the big teams on their turf for at
    least 30 minutes.

SueB, my handle refers to my (lack of) skill as a player rather than any Italian-ness.

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Seems like when Reggina loses now, they go down in flames. 5-0 vs Juve, 3-0 today. But I'd rather they flame out in an attempt to attack - today they had several early chances which Toldo managed to keep out; if one had gone in, it might've been a very different day - than to play conservatively for the one point and end up with a 1-0 loss anyway. The result of this mentality change is that they've been beating the likes of Piacenza and Perugia - which is what they must do - and even got a bonus win at Lazio. Even after today, I'm feeling optimistic. Next week (home vs a recently-sort-of-revived-in-a-relative-sense Como) is a must-win.

18. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    nothing wrong to lose inter but 0-3 was bad. i hope the goal difference won't kick them out of serie a at the very end. again they are back on the relegaiton list

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Goal difference doesn't mean a thing because playoffs are used to break ties in Serie A. If they end up tied with somebody, there is a home-and-home playoff. This happened a couple of seasons ago when they lost to Verona in a playoff to get relegated. Extremely difficult because they were winning until something like 7 minutes left and gave up a goal at home to go out on away goals. I grew to really respect Massimo Taibi that day because of his devastation at the loss, which meant he would have to leave.

Anyway, if there is a 3 (or more) -way tie, they look at the games between the teams involved and establish mini-standings based on those results to determine which two teams play off. Maybe somewhere WAY down the line, goal difference comes into play, but it's very unlikely.

20. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  21. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Reggina wins again!

3-2 against Udinese on 3/1

BTW, has anyone watched these games recently. It seems like this is the 2nd time Nakamura has kicked a long pass right from the start, leading to a score. How does he do that?

22. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    The only Italian game available to me this weekend was the Milan-Atalanta thriller. No complaints on that selection!

After last weeks results it looks like all but one relegation spot can be determined. It looks like Como, Torino and Piacenza will be unable to escape the relegation zone - leaving Atalanta, Empoli, Reggina, Modena (and maybe Brescia) in an exciting contest to avoid the dreaded 15th place.

Reggina and Atalanta have been doing quite well over the last 10 games or so. If they can maintain something close to their current form they should avoid the drop. Compared to their earlier season form, Empoli and Modena have struggled lately and look like the teams most likely to be fighting for survival until the end.

23. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Hi Guys!

Friends,

This is my first post.

It's nice to see other with an interest in Reggina Calcio. My parents are from the province of Reggio Calabria so naturally I'm a big Reggina fan. My cousin in Italy has season tickets for Reggina. We're from a town about an hour away from Reggio (or 1/2 hour if you drive like some do at nearly 200 kph!!!). There are Reggina Clubs locally so members can see the games. It's real fun.

Like some have mentioned, after the latest purchases, Reggina has been hot! The last win and Empoli and Atalanta's results have bumped us up!

Let's keep it going!!
    FORZA REGGINA!!!

24. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    WELCOME!!!!!!!

25. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    It's great to be here

SoccerFan220,

Thank you. It's great to be here. It's nice to see so many interested in Reggina and their latest improvements.

In case you were wondering, my profile got cut for some reason. I'm also a MetroStars, and USA Soccer fan as well as Rangers, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Serie B and C fan.