Reggina [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by BrianCappellieri, Jul 23, 2002.

1. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
  2. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Reggina chase yen with Nakamura

MILAN, July 23 (Reuters) - Serie A club Reggina are hoping Japanese midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura will boost their profile and revenue as well as spark a successful season on their return to Italy's top flight.
    Reggina, who won promotion back to the Serie A last season just a year after relegation, signed Nakamura on a three-year contract from Yokohama F-Marinos earlier this month.

Lilli Foti, president of Reggina, the only club in the south of Italy, said on Tuesday he hopes Nakamura's presence would trigger interest in the Calabria region -- one of Italy's poorest areas...

SoccerNet

3. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    2002-2003 Fixtures

01/09 - 01.a LAZIO (rit. 26/01)
    15/09 - 02.a Perugia (rit. 02/02)
    22/09 - 03.a INTER (rit. 09/02)
    29/09 - 04.a Como (rit. 16/02)
    06/10 - 05.a BRESCIA (rit. 23/02)
    20/10 - 06.a Udinese (rit. 02/03)
    27/10 - 07.a TORINO (rit. 09/03)
    03/11 - 08.a Milan (rit. 16/03)
    10/11 - 09.a MODENA (rit. 23/03)
    17/11 - 10.a Empoli (rit. 06/04)
    24/11 - 11.a ATALANTA (rit. 13/04)
    01/12 - 12.a CHIEVO (rit. 19/04)
    08/12 - 13.a Parma (rit. 27/04)
    15/12 - 14.a Roma (rit. 04/05)
    22/12 - 15.a PIACENZA (rit. 11/05)
    12/01 - 16.a Juventus (rit. 18/05)
    19/01 - 17.a BOLOGNA (rit. 25/03)

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Heard on RAI that Reggina might be picking up Pierini from the Fiorentina castaways. That would be a good pickup, just about their first of the year, from what I can tell.

5. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Pretty hard schedule, playing lazio and inter at the beginning and juve and roma at the end.....

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Such is the lot of newly-promoted and perennial struggling teams in Serie A. The big teams never play each other within about the first five games of the start and end of the season.

7. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Nakamura Scores On Home Debut For Reggina

Shunsuke Nakamura scored on his home debut for Reggina last night as the Serie A side drew 2-2 with Dinamo Zagreb...

SoccerAge

8. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerAge

9. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, I didn't know Reggina had been promoted to Serie A. My grandmother's family is from Reggio di Calabria where the team is based. I didn't know they were any good. Here's hoping they stay up for a while!! Guess I have a Serie A team to really pull for now...

It seems like if they were the only club in the South of Italy that they could really build a good fanbase, even with a smaller than average stadium for Italy. Of course, playing in one of the countries poorest regions is not going to help.

Anyone know where I can get a look at their kits?? Their homesite is messed up or something at the moment.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    This is their second stint in Serie A. They were up for two seasons, down last year, and up again now. I believe Reggina has one of the highest attendance ratings in terms of % of stadium full in Serie A and B. Their fan-base is loyal, but forget trying to build a consortium of fans from all around the south. The rivalries with other southern teams such as Cosenza and Messina are simply too bitter.

Of course, the story of why there aren't ever more southern teams in the top-flight is a whole other topic. Poor, as you say, but there is a lot of corruption and, shall we say, "other influences".

My husband is from Calabria. We went to see them play a friendly against the Montreal Impact of the A-League a few summers ago. Don't know of an on-line photo, but they where a deep maroon shirt ("amaranto") with white shorts. Pretty much the same color scheme as Torino and Salernitana, if you've seen those. Last time they were in Serie A, I their kit sponsor was Mauro (a brand of coffee, I think). Don't know who it is this year.

They haven't made too many summer acquisitions - Nakamura and Di Michele from Udinese, so I'm not terribly optimistic about them sticking around in Serie A this year. But at least they have a TV contract! :)

11. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just glad to hear they are doing well, considering the lack of money in that region. I had heard of them, but I thought they were like a Serie C or mid-table Serie B side. Having them in Serie A will give me a reason to pay attention.

My grandmother's line from Reggio is really the only ancestry I have where I know specifically what city they are from. I don't have that with my German, Dutch, Irish and Welsh blood. Of course, my grandmother's family came here in 1918, so it is the most recent.

12. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, their website is back up and running, but I can't seem to find the club store. Can someone with a better grasp of Italian let me know if there is even a store on the site??

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Can't see any store on there either. Pretty silly. I see where they picked up Gianluca Falsini from Parma. Not a bad pick-up.

Big game at Perugia to start the season. Probably won't win but a tie would be nice against another perennial struggler. I think Reggina beat Inter at home two years ago, but I'm not confident about that result again in week 2.

14. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerAge
    SoccerAge

15. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Sporting Life

16. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    FT Perugia 2-0 Reggina
    Sporting Life

17. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    SueB: what italian teams do you support. Obviously Reggina, but who else? Reggina look to be the next team for the team forum section

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I also support Juventus. My husband grew up near Reggio, but - as is common in southern Italy - grew up supporting one of the big northern clubs, in his case, Juventus. We got married in Sept 1995, and our honeymoon in Italy corresponded with the start of Juve's Champions League-winning campaign. We didn't go to any games, but we got to watch two of them on TV while we were there. Del Piero at the height of his powers.

Of course, Reggina was never in Serie A until a few years ago, so there was never a contradiction in supporting two teams in the same league. And even now, since they fight for such different targets - Juve aims to win the Scudetto each season, while Reggina just tries to survive - there is really only a conflict when they play each other.

19. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    not good start for reggina so far. let's hope things will turn out to be different from now on btw, does anyone know any bars where i can watch serie a around chicago???
    thanks

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  21. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    FT Brescia-Reggina 2-2

Nakamura tied ti up 9 minutes to go. He's been on fire for Reggina. By the way, SueB or a different moderator, how many posts do these need before they get their own forum? Parma has 23, Chievo has something around there, this has 20, and Udinese's has 21.

22. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    you may need at least 150 posts and must maintain average post per day of at least 3. 20 is by no means good enough. even my stupid threads at ffa sometimes have more than 30 posts. bring all italians here someone.

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    thanks for that helpful advice.

24. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    AC Milan 2-0 Reggina. Reggina lost again.

25. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They were playing AC Milan, can you blame them?