Reggina Climbing Again?

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by RegginaFan1, Mar 8, 2003.

1. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Serie A Friends and Fellow Reggina Fans,

Tomarrow, we my see Reggina climbing up another notch if they can Beat Torino in Torino and if Modena losses or ties to Perugia.

If those situations happen on the field, then Reggina would climb to number 12 on the standings.

As a pure soccer fan, I don't like to think about teams advancing up the standings due to the results of other teams. I like to focus on my team's performance and improvements than see what team lost or tied. However, that is the nature of relegation system soccer.

Thanks...

FORZA REGGINA!!

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    The Torino game is actually being played in Reggio Emilia where Reggiana plays. Torino was banned from playing at home the rest of the season, which is actually too bad for Reggina since there are many MANY Calabresi living in Turin.

BTW, my husband grew up in a small town in Calabria. That's why I follow Reggina. I think you said your family is from there - which town? Have you been back there?

FORZA REGGINA! :D

3. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Hi Sue!

Ooops! You're right. I forgot about the ban. I saw that game in which there was all of that trouble. My goodness, people can be so animalistic sometimes.

My parents were from the ancient city of Caulonia. Caulonia was founded up in the Calabrian mountains back in 722 B.C. and overlooks the Ionian sea. It's a beautiful cobblestone paved city that was not really designed for modern automobile traffic. I've been up there many times passing through "streets" just wide enough to get a FIAT through without losing both mirrors!

I've been back many times because nearly all of my relatives are there. It's funny you mentioned Torino. I have cousins who moved up there for work and I have cousins who lived there and Val D'Aosta (nearby), learned a trade, and moved back to Calabria.

My father, who used to play for Catanzaro (another large Calabrian city), my relatives, and I have followed Reggina closely these past decades. Reggina was always "the bridesmaid" by just missing promotion many times before finally getting promoted.

I was there in Calabria when Reggina played their first serie A game against Juventus. I was in my cousin's restaurant when Kallon scored the first goal for Reggina in A. The place exploded in cheers. It was almost scary! From there, Reggina Calcio's home, Il Granillo, is about a hour or so away by car.

Let's hope we get another victory tomarrow.

What town is your husband and his family from?

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Catanzaro used to be in Serie A, right?

My husband's family is from the tiny town of Solano which is some ways north of Reggio. The closest towns of any size which you might recognize are Bagnara and Scilla. I've been there just once - on our honeymoon. And of course, we also visited his cousins up in Torino. As seems to be common in the south, he grew up following one of the bigger northern clubs -Juventus in his case - so we follow both. Reggina actually had a North American tour after their first Serie A season a few years ago, and we saw them play in Montreal. That was fun - Baronio had just left the team, and Cozza was the big hope to take over in the midfield. Well, it's taken a couple of years, but it looks like he's finally coming into his own. And where is Baronio these days. Huh.

Anyway, I've tried to get my husband to post on here before - he is "RegginaFan" - but he isn't really into message boards and only posted a few times a long time ago.