Loose Cannon!: Reggie at QPR

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by punintended_13, Nov 28, 2018.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FC Dallas are hoping to sign Cannon to an extension (no kidding): https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...-cannon-big-deal-says-team-president-dan-hunt

The article notes that 2020 is the first of two option years, so he's fully out of contract at the end of the 2021 season.

Cannon was automatically eligible for a UK work permit in the January window, but would need to appear in both Nations League matches this June, or have the US move into the FIFA top 20, to retain that eligibility for the summer 2020 window.

2. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this thread in YA Academy?

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    YA Coaches, Youth Players (and those not playing competitively for a first division second tier league (Holland, Scotland, Norway, etc.) or 2nd division first tier league (England, Spain, etc.)), Rumors (supported news/rumors about potential new YAs with link), History, and Alumni, and more!

gnk and Winoman repped this.
  4. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Didn't realize them's the rules. I figured Reggie isn't going to any academy even if he were signed by Barca. Not that I think he is the second coming of Roberto Carlos (which in that case I should've said Real Madrid's academy) but just that if he goes somewhere it will be to that team's first team, not academy.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if a player goes to the 1st team, we generally keep him in the academy until he makes a 1st team appearance (which can often be quite a bit later than his arrival, depending on the player).

gnk repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    But this is Reggie Cannon, who, you know, has made quite a bit of appearances for a first team in a first division, second tier league.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm familiar with that, but the Executive High Council has determined appearances in MLS doesn't count. Thailand and Malta do, but not the USA.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They count once you've already signed a Euro contract, independent if you appear there, or if you then go on loan to MLS.

Just doesn't apply to rumors. I actually agree with that ruling since what can constitute a rumor is broad and they usually don't come to fruition.

My issues are w/ coaches not gaining promotion or players when they appear in intra-continental comps that are often tougher than their leagues. That's arbitrary.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    New deal through 2023 with a club option for 2024.

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2020/03/05/reggie-cannon-signs-new-four-year-contract-fc-dallas

Time to put this thread on mothballs for a while.

10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UniversalAdvice repped this.
  11. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    autobus39 and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I talked to media people and everyone and I wanted them to know the reason for me signing this contract wasn't because I was planning to stay for five years. It was really setting up for a summer transfer. There were so many things in there that really incentivized Dallas to sell me. That was one of the biggest things, especially before [the pandemic] happened — this summer was really going to be a huge opportunity for me to go."

"Dallas and I had a mutual agreement. It wasn't that I think I'm better or bigger than Dallas, I just wanted to be the best I can be,"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...has-big-goals-i-want-be-best-right-back-world

UniversalAdvice and largegarlic repped this.
  14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a Belgian report on the 19th on interest in Cannon from Belgian Pro League clubs.

From Google translate:

"RSC Anderlecht was associated with Reggie Cannon last year, but the 21-year-old right wing defender stayed with FC Dallas. The American international may still go to the Jupiler Pro League.

According to our sources, three clubs from the top five have Cannon on the radar. AA Gent is already one of them.
    KRC Genk was already mentioned in the corridors, but that interest is still vague. At Anderlecht, Cannon is also on the shortlist, but with the arrival of Michael Murillo, a new right back is not a priority in Brussels."

FC Dallas technical director Andre Zanotta later said:

"There is a lot of speculation, I saw an article that there was interest in Belgium on him, but nothing came to me," Zanotta told reporters on a video call. "Just rumors, I don't know if they're real. But for us, we didn't get any call or any formal approach for Reggie."

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    will take anything in these uncertain times but isn’t he a very unreliable source?

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    UniversalAdvice and largegarlic repped this.
  17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm not sure when it would happen -- I think it's still a few years away -- but the Belgian / Eredivisie merger would be attractive to young players, I'd think.

19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help but think it would only be a marginal improvement on the current Eredivisie and that, unless they lower the non-EU salary in the Netherlands, the landing spots for prospects in the US would still be limited to the big Dutch boys and the prospects good enough to play there.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I mean, it'd be the top teams in each league, and since the bottom half of each league is the weak sister, I think the league is going to be pretty darn strong.

Plus, the resulting TV contract is going to increase revenues.

It's not going to be a Top 4 league, but it'll be 30 million people now, have several teams who have historically been able to compete in Europe and a great niche as a developmental league.

Lookingforleftbacks and eliwood repped this.
  21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Freiburg and newly promoted Stuttgart are in the mix

22. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3rd Degree has a solid beat on these things. This thread is worth reading.

I also think it’s interesting that Pomykal signed that extension and doesn’t seem to have any plans of going to Europe any time soon. I know he has had some real European interest and I’ve heard some teams are still tracking him

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Reggie, I am hearing one of the clubs that is most interested right now is not Freiburg or Stuttgart but another Bundesliga club that was lower-half this season. I've also been told no deal is close yet. It's still "wait and see." Dallas wants to sell (to show their academy that the pathway is there) and isn't being unreasonable. They won't be low-balled either. I think $3 million should get it done

Regarding Pomykal.. if he plays well, he'll get sold eventually but not in 2020. He's not ready yet. He needs to get to the point where he can show he can be an impact starter for at least two seasons and avoid injuries. He's had 3 surgeries over the past 3 years. The best MLS sales of young players to Europe typically show players having at least 2 really good seasons (Adams, Davies, Harrison, Yedlin, Ream, Dempsey, Altidore, Bradley, Cameron, Holden, Bocanegra, etc). All of those guys showed they weren't one-season flukes but had a steady upward trajectory. Pomykal was also up and down last year (some of it was playing through pain).

Paxton will probably eventually go but he's not ready. What I hope Pax can do is what Reggie did. His second season as a full-time starter showed growth, no regression.

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    schrutebuck and BostonRed repped this.