Refunds?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by anotherfan, Jun 7, 2020.

1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Had largely the same feeling as the wife and decided that this is what we do, so we're in.

And TBH, they've been better WRT to experiences, in spite of completely jacked up 2020. Our son had an amazing conversation with Birnbaum a few weeks ago that was prolly better than the couple of frames we've bowled with Sean Franklin and Chris Rolfe, mostly because it was him having the experience, not us.

2. anotherfan

anotherfan Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 21, 2018
    Actually, you can get a full refund. That is what I requested and they agreed to it. We have a medical situation vice a financial one; it appears either is sufficient. Talk with your rep.

FKCZ, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  3. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Wait a minute. You expected DCU to give us a better deal? You should be happy that we even have a chance to see our money back in the form of tickets for a season that will also be interrupted by covid19.

4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I’m done with my season tickets. I’ve had full season since 1997 and a half plan in 1996. The team is just awful to watch. I hate to see my primo seats go, but I cannot find friends or family willing to watch with me any more. I’ll spend my 2-4K on something else.

FKCZ, tallguy, TowsonDad and 3 others repped this.
  5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I spend much less for an AFL season package.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got my offer from Loudoun United, basically roll your 2020 tickets forward to 2021 with no price increase (so, for free) - or take out the $ ($300 in my case) for the 6 games still planning on being played in 2020 and apply the rest toward 2021 (and then pay the $300 for 2021 tix)

There was some weird Bonus offer of $50 in drink coupons (water, soda, or beer), donating 10 tickets to front-line workers, and/or a commemorative 2021 LoCoU merchandise item - not sure what that means or how you redeem or if any of it costs extra or is just a nice gesture that you have to go to the trouble of signing up for so will have to research that further - they say to roll over your tix to 2021 do nothing, but that negates the "bonus offer".

Winoman repped this.
  7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, DC United wants you to make a choice, too (by August 7!), or it rolls over to 2021 and you lose the bonus credits.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LoCo is July 31st! which I think is a bit fast, but I was already 99.99999985% on-board with rolling over to next year (when I fully expect, at least, the first half of the season to be unsafe and/or canceled). I am just glad they aren't trying to force us into losing $ for the planned 6 games.

NASCAR/RIR rolled my season tickets into next year and gave me a really decent discount/credit for the inconvenience.

Winoman repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile the Nats are giving ticket holders until early October to make a decision.

sitruc repped this.
  10. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as somebody mentioned earlier, a significant percentage of MLS revenues comes from ticket sales as opposed to tv contracts. Throw in the loss of concessions and sponsorship revenue, then add in the continued expenses of stadium, employee salaries, etc and I get why MLS is treating tickets differently then some other leagues.

It has been somewhat nebulous and frankly I think the team should be more transparent. My agent said I could get a refund but I don’t think they want to publicize it because the subsequent loss of revenue might mean a fire sale. On the plus side, I can walk over to Ben’s house and see if they will give a mid 40s former college player a shot :).

side note: go through your rep. Mine said I could get a refund as there is a strong likelihood I won’t be in DC next year.

second aide note: I don’t think they are earning “interest” in our cash. Frankly, I think they are hemorrhaging money right now. This is a tough choice for all. People are hurting and need the cash due to the impact of the virus. Teams are hurting because many of them aren’t profitable yet and if you take away ticket revenues and sponsorships, the situation becomes even more dire. Banks are tightening credit lines.

John L and fatbastard repped this.
  11. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I've never been great at soccer math, but trying to wrap my head around this, from my account rep:

Account Overview
    • Total 2020 Account Credit: $698.67
    • 2021 20-Match Package Price: $860.00
    • 2021 Amount Owed: $161.33
    They've charged me $161 for the two games played. The matches should be $43 each, but they charged $80.50.

Did I miss some rule where they get to charge you double if Ola Kamara actually started the game?

Winoman repped this.
  12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The math on mine initially didn't add up either, because I still had one last payment for 2020 to make. I emailed my ticket rep and this is what he told me:

"To make things easier on our fans, we decided to take that August payment and lump it into the 2021 cycle so it can be split up through February. So in theory, the 2020 cycle has ended.
    However, you're able to pay that August amount now if you do want to obtain more bonus credit going into 2021. Totally up to you. It will automatically get lumped into the 2021 cycle though."

So that 2021 amount that you owe might include the last payment you were supposed to make in August for 2020 tickets if you did a payment plan rather than a lump sum plan.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  13. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thanks. I thought my payments were August through July, but you may be right. I'll check my statements going back to the Audi opening.

14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, the Formula 1 race in Canada was officially canceled today. The primary option is your tickets are rolled over to 2021. If you can't make it then, they will discuss a refund. I told my son to roll the tickets over because maybe by June 2021 there will be a vaccine and Canada will let Americans across the border again.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  15. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I wonder how that will go. Google just told its employees yesterday to not plan on being in the office until next July.

My neighbor works in cyber at NiH and is in group A as necessary personnel told me yesterday that they scheduled the group C to come back in September, but just postponed that indefinitely, with critical and essential personnel only being in the building.

anotherfan and Winoman repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have Ryder Cup tickets that were pushed back a year and I rolled them over as well.

For work, this is my 4th week back in the office but since almost everyone is still at home it's empty everywhere. I think there's 1 other person on my floor and if there are 20 employees in the entire building I would be shocked.

Winoman repped this.
  17. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I am envious. I am trying to decide if going into an empty office would be preferable. Our place works ok with the wife and I WFH, but our 10 yo doing distance learning all year and then the 4 yo rampaging all over the place has made very adequate space feel cramped. I think I could live in 10,000 sqft and I'd still have kids in my space driving me crazy. One of the guys I golf with lives in big place out in Beacon Hill and says his wife and kids are driving him insane in spite of the house being enormous, having a pool and all manner of home entertainment stuff. He had to put a lock on his office door.

18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think sometimes that going somewhere empty would be ideal but then I realize that would be raising my needs/wants over my spouse’s and that leaving the kids and distance learning to your spouse while I make things better for me is selfish. My guess is your golf friend doesn’t really have his priorities sorted (or he does in the sense that anything that isn’t good for him isn’t a priority). I used to be surrounded by men and fathers like that and it drives me crazy. These guys work 60 hours a week, drinks after work, golf Saturday and Sunday mornings without even a passing thought to their spouse and children.

This isn’t the 50s - we need to share responsibilities more fairly.

shawn12011, MattR and griffin1108 repped this.
  19. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    They've been married 15 years and his wife has never worked. Before COVID, he used to travel 35+ weeks a year, to provide their lifestyle. So that's their deal. I get where he's coming from. I prolly travelled in the region of half that before my company shut down travel in late February. When you travel, you work a lot more than when you're home. Its easy to work a 12 hour day on the road with no external distractions, especially when you deal with projects across multiple timezones. You make your bedtime Facetime call and get back to work. Sometimes you're making that bedtime call at 10 in the morning. He does SAP integrations all over the world which are gigantic and run for years at a clip.

20. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being single, childless, and living alone in 2020 has actually made things not so bad.

shawn12011 repped this.
  21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that - but now that he is home it is easy to be resentful but it is harder to change the paradigm up a bit.

I've always tried my hardest to avoid work with travel after having kids. Once they are all in college (I'll be 47 at that point) I may look into it again.

anotherfan repped this.
  22. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I felt about it. I think its probable that MLS will not be able to play even an abbreviated season next year. I expect that about this time next year, United will be contacting me about two options - A) roll over my unused 2021 tickets over into the 2022 season or B) some kind of deal spreading out payments for the 2022 and 2023 seasons.

23. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    This. I suspect the same.

I will probably keep my plan because of how much I have already paid in for this year. That is in spite of the fact that I no longer feel any compelling reason to keep them: my kids pay more attention to their phones during the game, the quality of the league, quality of the team, no tailgate, most of our tailgate group (more than 30) no longer attend so no socializing during the game, no connection to any players, barely any connection to anyone in the front (or back) office, attitude of owners. And all of that is before considering COVID. I should probably just buy single games and save a ton of money. But just like coke and crazy women, some habits are hard to break....

At least with reduced capacity it shouldn't be too difficult selling tics...maybe even make a little beer money for when I do attend....

FKCZ, jjsocr, PSURoss and 5 others repped this.
  24. anotherfan

anotherfan Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 21, 2018
    I received my refund yesterday. Nearly the full amount; I didn't want to go through all the details. It was the right thing for the front office to do, since in our situation we can't chance any exposure; even 2021 may be too early to attend a crowded event. Besides, they need seats in hand to create some sort of social distancing when fans are allowed back in the stadium.

25. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    glad to hear they are not resisting giving refunds. I wonder what process/how they are planning to relocate folks to make the necessary separation? I am not optimistic their communication will make things easier....."yeah, we know how long you waited to finally get the aisle seats on the front row but uh, yeah, we are gonna need you to move up three rows and sit in the middle of the row now...."

fatbastard repped this.