Refs and Smartphones

Discussion in 'Referee' started by monster, Oct 1, 2009.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came across this story on my Google news feed with an interesting tidbit.

Maybe old news to you all, but I found it fascinating as a fan.

2. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Don't know if its true or not, but seems weird. I doubt they did it on paper (could be wrong). All the forms are on line, email em in.

Entering any meaningful amount of data on an iPhone or Blackberry is annoying at best with the tiny little keys and screens.

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure they had to fill out all the paperwork onsite before leaving the match. I think these apps would be excellent and I actually wrote one for myself a few years ago to keep track of game counts. Most of the data you enter on reports is repetitive and can be set up to keep typing at a minimum. I also have an iPhone and its remarkably easy to enter data.

Its impractical to use a smartphone to record events during a match unless you want to ruin it but for submitting reports, its a no brainer if the competitin facilitates it.

4. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you use one?

I've been using a BB for 7-8 years and it's not a prob for me. Now i don't think I'd want to write a doctoral thesis on it but it's handy.

5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Yup I have one, I write SW Web applications for a living and we include BB apps, branching to iPhone now. Personally I just can't get use to it.

6. AussieDynamo

AussieDynamo New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There's an "in game" program available for PDAs, not that I've used it, but that sort of thing is out there.