Refereeing and other occupations

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kebbie Gazauzkas, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    To what extent do refereeing and your other occupation/occupations complement each other?

Tom Henning Øvrebø's other occupation is psychologist, he always seems quite relaxed and I would guess that it's easy for him to establish good communication with most players.

Howard Webb works as a policeman, which probably influences his style of refereeing.

Or perhaps in certain situations there was the opposite scenario - your refereeing skills came in handy and helped you to make a better decision, aided you in your judgment etc.?

2. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    When I'm not in school I work in high-speed photography and timing & scoring for athletic events. You have to be extremely precise and exact. It often takes 4-5 hours to align our cameras and adjust them to conditions. The tolerance for snapping photos at 3-4000 fps is about 1mm.

It causes you to focus on little details and to be very meticulous about how you go about things, and I think that helps in a job like refereeing where the smallest details can make huge differences.

"In war important events result from trivial causes."
    -Julius Caesar

3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Having been a Field Engineer giving 10 yds was a piece of cake. Also knowing exactly how far away my car was and how long it would take me to get there and lock the doors came in handy. :p

Play on........

4. Wahoos1

Wahoos1 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Food and beverage owner. On feet all day and have to be careful before tournies to get legs rested. Better last few years now that money is solid and I can take off a day or so before heavy days.

"I have to go home and prepare for a tournment."

Cooks put together something to take home and I put on a DVD and kick it in the la-z-boy.

5. refereejoe

refereejoe New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Bay Area - Cal North
    Software engineer consultant. Managing the expectations of the client or the players, spectators, coaches is no different to me. Clear and precise communication, a little humor every now and then, and being sure to stay on top of the trade works both on the field and in the conference room.

Being a consultant instead of a full-timer allows me to be flexible with my schedule as well.

6. DerbyRam54

DerbyRam54 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Computer systems analyst, currently supporting time and attendance systems. I thought I could work something in about time-keeping but maybe not.
    I sit at a desk all day which screws up my hips and hamstrings, nice to get out and run around a bit. I use vacation time to do high school, my boss is pretty tolerant of my part-day absences.
    And speaking of....time to go

7. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
    i work in the immigration law field. i spent years taking a set of facts and matching them up to the legal requirements. also spent years as a supervisor and large office director. people skills always translate.

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insurance claim adjuster. Always on the lookout for fault, liability, and dishonesty.

:p

9. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My real job is a systems programmer, but my other obsession is Bridge. I'm a duplicate Bridge director which has basically the same requirements as a referee.

I resolve issues, call fouls (players have to call the director, because you can't watch a whole room full of people :eek:), interpret and apply the rules, and keep score (a little more complicated and incorporates my math/analytical skills).

10. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    Sales Manager

No surprise, I talk alot during the match.

Also, find myself negotiating with players. It's kept the yellow card in the pocket quite a few times.

11. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part-time elementary school teacher. No matter what the level of the game, there are 22 children to manage on the field. :D

Oh, and my primary job is as a soccer coach and trainer. At least no one's every accused me of not understanding the game.

12. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Do you pick up a lot of clients working local adult latino leagues?

13. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
    no. i work for the other side (USCIS).

14. intechpc

intechpc Member

Sep 22, 2005
    West Bend, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well by day I'm an penetration tester (aka ethical hacker, i.e. I get paid to hack into my company's computer systems) and I'm not sure that there's much that an 8 hour a day desk job like that lends to the field. Working in the corporate environment overall has equipped me well to deal with the political dealings of the referee program organization though.

15. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Software engineer, currently running a team of web application developers to build a suite of IT applications.

former life, wrote software to try and catch people like intechpc, security software!

16. OldAndNew

OldAndNew New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    USA
    Can't wait to see the first response from a proctologist! [ROFLMAO]

17. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Policeman and tend to hate trading one badge for the other on match days!
    Being a fullback growing up, and in my veteran's league, I'm lenient!

18. rippingood

rippingood Member

Feb 13, 2004
    LosAngeles
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Engineering Professor and consultant. The logic of the LOTG appeals to me but refereeing is a joy and a stress relief mechanism. I really appreciate being able to be out on the field at the start of the day when the grass is still wet. By the end of a Saturday when I've run a couple of matches (U14 or U16 usually, but had a good time last week with a couple of U10 matches) and 2-3 ARs, I am marginally dehydrated - no matter how much I try to keep my fluids up - and pleasantly exhausted. Then, I get to do it again on Sunday which is usually some higher level (U16 - U19) stuff. For whatever reason, this season (started in August) has been especially gratifying [it's probably the shoes, as I've noted on another thread :) ].

19. Tarheel Ref

Tarheel Ref New Member

May 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Sales Professional/Customer Service Manager.................

Lots of experience dealing with folks who need information about the situation about which we're faced.....................

I have to say that my other occupations have given me a great deal of experience in learning how to communicate with players, coaches and spectators the reasons for my on-field decisions...or withholding them when necessary!!!!!!!!!!!

I choose to try to talk with the coaches/bench personnel/spectators more than is probably recommended by USSF/NFHS.........BUT........most of the time it works out well for me. When it doesn't I just bite my tongue and deal with the consequences of my actions.....

Best of luck to all my compadres in dealing with this issue.............it never works out the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    First career as a software engineer and engineering manager. The management part is probably applicable but writing operating system code probably didn't contribute to my referee toolkit. Current career as a corporate pilot definitely doesn't contribute anything useful other than making me glad to be out running around after too many hours in the seat.

21. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Thanks for your input!
    Fascinating to see that people with a wide array of occupations post here.
    Refereeing should always be a fun job that helps one get in shape and develop good interpersonal skills.

22. Dermeister

Dermeister New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    well i worked on the NJ board walk (good people experience), ive worked as a lifeguard (follow rules experience) and i want to get a job at a financial firm after college (managerial experience)

so its working out pretty well for me

23. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    I bet you can handle pressure a bit easier than the rest of us land drivers.

Lets see, U17 punk yelling at you vs landing in a snow storm.

24. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Wow, I'm surprised to see that I'm the first attorney to post in this thread (or maybe the first to own up to it here). I actually know a lot of refs that are attorneys in their "real" jobs because the interpretation of laws and rules tends to come naturally.

Taking it even further, I'm actually a First Amendment attorney, so you can guess my stance on dissent!

25. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    You're not the ONLY attorney/ref on these boards.

For me, stress relief is the biggets plus.

Nothing like chugging my tired 43 year old body around a field chasing teenagers, and desperately trying to keep up.:D

In all seriousness, I find the logical and deductive reasoning skills required in the legal profession to be invaluable on the pitch.