referee..

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Barish

Barish New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Thank you. I'm glad that the game was over in peace this time, rather than "in pieces". I hope we carry on like that on both sides from now on, because that craze was really getting insane in the past a few weeks, like a positive feedback from speakers being fed into microphone leading to burst the whole system, and I'm fed up with that Antiturco/antianglo bullsh.t building up for sometime. I thought we'd left the fighting back in 1922 or 23 or something.

Collina showed once again that he is just second to none in soccer refereeing. He was just class and couldn't be fairer. We need more like him to make this game more enjoyable. That blond Swiss guy (Mayer I think) is a great ref too.

My brother and I were watching the game in a pub here in Glasgow and when Hakan Sükür threw himself on the ground in the box we just couldn't help laughing, even in the first sight, not the replay. "Fekkin' chancer" said my brother, "I hope he gets sent off so we get rid of that dinosour forever. He doesn't seem to be getting it that his time is over and the whole nation wants to thank him for his services in the past decade." He's made shedloads of money out of this, he needs to swallow his pride and go buy a greengrocer or cornershop or something. May be he opens up a kebab shop, I don't know. That's what everyone seems to be doing these days.

And seriously, England did a top job, experience talks and it surely did in this occasion. Some fellow Turks might argue with me for pride reasons but I don't deny that we lack historical experience build-up for such high tension moments, although we have the skill to beat strong teams. I don't subscribe to those patriotical claims that the English players are superior to Turkish players in terms of individual skills and talents, but their perception of the game and the advantages at the start-up were undoubtedly far ahead of Turkish players and this comes from a strong footballing tradition they are breathing in their domestic league. It was obvious in the way that they spread on the pitch and held their positions, which is something Turkish players couldn't manage in Sunderland, although they are capable of doing it. It's going to take time to digest that.

Good game overall, not the most spectacular one may be, but a memorable one.

Good luck to England in Euro2004, I hope we see you guys there again, it's definitely worth the experience. You can't go far from the truth, we'll beat you guys one day ;)

All the best.