Referee vs. Costa Rica (R possible)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Zathras, Jul 12, 2005.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He knew the card was a good call ... you see that rueful little smile.

2. kurgen99

kurgen99 New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    This was a physical game. I thought the ref called it loosely, letting the guys play, but I was tired of watching guys jumping over our guy's backs. One guy basically got on Dolo's shoulders and rode him around like a pony.

Too many non calls. Tackling from behind, elbows to the face, 2 feet sliding into Hedjuk. I thought someone was going to get seriously hurt.

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though I was pissed (again) at Frankie for pulling that crap, that smile cracked me up. It was freakin hilarious -- he was so busted.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if this is referencing Frankie's attempt to head the cross from the right wing I completely disagree. That was a very dangerous and promising cross and Dude had every right to go for that ball.

I was very glad the defender wasn't hurt, but damn! Hejduk shot in the air like a jackrabbit from a slingshot.

Also, props to the thread starter. We should by all means call out good performances by officials. Nobody's perfect, but I thought he did very, very good job.

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With his elbow leading the way!
    He had every right to go for the ball but no right to lead with his elbow. That's how people can get hurt.

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw the play once, but I thought the replay showed it was his shoulder which made contact with the defender which -- to my mind -- is much less malicious way to attack a ball.

But again -- I could easily be wrong here. I've criticized Frankie frequently and heavily in the past for his reckless play but I thought this one was a fair challenge for what would be an obvious goal scoring chance.

I'd love to hear how others remember the play.

(hmmm, Costa Rica..... Frankie Hejduk.... rash challenges.... why is this ringing a bell...... ? )

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it was an obvious goal-scoring chance, but that doesn't make reckless play okay.

The replay looks like he led with his elbow the whole way, maybe dropping it at the very last second and only elbowing the guy in his shoulder and hitting him in the face with his head and shoulder. Whatever actually happened, it was a very dangerous challenge warranting at least a yellow while his "dive" later in the game which got him a yellow was a bit bogus. He did look like he might have been trying to draw a foul, but he did definitely get clipped on the play.

In the end though, I don't mind too much that he has two yellows. We know what he can do for the nats. He'll probably make the WC team but hopefully won't start too much.

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, I thought the referee did a poor job of managing the game. He let far too many fouls go, on both sides. Way too much fouling after the ball was away. Do you let play continue of stop it? Well, that decision has to take into account whether there has been a game-long pattern of fouls after the pass.

If both teams weren't already through before playing things could have gotten really out of hand.

8. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I thought that Hejduk foul was the textbook definition of a reckless challenge. There's no way he gets to that ball without wiping out the defender.

Another play that deserves revisiting is a first-half shot by Dempsey from the edge of the box. As he prepared to strike the ball, a Costa Rican defender reached out to grab his jersey from behind and pull him back, causing the ball to sail skyward. No whistle.

As the replay showed, this wasn't subtle at all. It was a fully outstretched arm, and Dempsey's jersey was stretched behind him. A dangerous scoring chance was ruined by an obvious, cynical foul, and Archundia missed it.

9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't argue with that.

But on his dive, he began falling before contact was ever made and threw out his leg to catch the defender.

He probably could have drawn a legit foul if he slowed down and had better control of the ball. I also think it was pretty obvious he was vying for a free kick in a very dangerous position while trying to not press his luck by diving in the box. But he couldn't pull it off.

10. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    good dive by hejduk :D

there was a contact but hejduk was faking it before....they gave him a good pass and had a good oportunity but no he had to dive and try to get the foul..

11. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I thought the hejduk simulation was gonna get called, given the costa ricans had a simulatuion a few minutes previously...

on the rojas play, even a few ticos came up to him to say something, like clam it down, you were lucky to get away with only a yellow.