Referee/Player contact

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Claymore, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    this is definitely not the way it is taught in the courses, but seemed from the article to have been the "right" thing to do in retrospect. it doesn't hurt that he is an imposing figure, but this definitely should be the exception, not the rule.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta admit, the look on Keane's face is priceless.

4. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    NHL refs do this all the time, although are often instructed to first let them go at it to blow off steam (more like give the league ratings). i think it should be discouraged but its good preventative action especally with a known troublemaker like Keane. Refs in pointyball also try to restrain fighting parties but useally with less success...i dont see the problem with this in futbol as long as there is no execessive force used.

5. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't think a ref should ever touch a player, especially from behind, or when he is 'fired up'. If the plater turns and gives the ref a smack (not knowing it is a ref) - he will be in even worse trouble than before.

Interestingly in Aussie Rules (of course a lot more rough & tumble than soccer), the umpires now try to restart play and keep things going while the fight is continuing. it's amazing how quickly the players stop fighting when the ball is in play and heading towards a goal.

6. pkCrouse

pkCrouse New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    At 5' 8", I guess I'll still need to rely upon a full-volume blast of my Fox 40 to break up fights. That usually brings them to their knees if you can get within a yard of their eardrum! ;)

7. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pointyball?