Referee intimidation incident?

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Oct 2, 2003.

1. F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    In the USWNT v. Korea DPR match, did anyone notice in the 70th minute that the referee suddenly charged toward one of the US players (I couldn't tell which player it was)? It was after a stoppage in play, and the player appeared to be yelling something at the referee and holding her arms out to the side in a sort of "what?" gesture. The referee then started toward the player, taking at least ten quick steps toward her. She then appeared to throw her arms out the to the side in order to bump the player with her chest, as if to intimidate or provoke her.

I've never seen a referee do this. It was very weird...

2. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I'll have to look at that again. But I saw something in a group game. It might have been France-Norway. A player was fouling another player but no call was called and the ball went out for a throw-in. The ref was right there and the player who was getting fouled went over to the ref(no malicious threat of anything just demonstration) and showed the ref what the player did. Shirt tugging basically. But isn't there a rule of no touching the ref at all?

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i posted this incident in my post-game report here on bigsoccer. i was at the game and saw it happen, i was dumbfounded by the ref's actions and asked if it was shown on the television broadcast but nobody said anything about it so i assumed not.

i would like to know whether any action was taken on the ref by fifa. i mean it was the more odd, and downright disrepectful things i have even seen from an official at a world cup event.

oh yea, and the player who was confronted was julie foudy. the best part about the whole thing was while the ref was yelling and screaming at her, foudy had the funniest look on her face and started laughing once it was all over...although i don't think it was the reaction the ref was looking for.

4. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    That ref was an idiot. There was no reason to call off our first goal and call a phony PK. That took away a goal in the run of play for Wambach and an assist for Bivens. The yellow she gave the North Korean player in the last few minutes was insulting as well. That chick needs to be booted way down to rec league soccer. Let her call the U-8's.

:rolleyes:

5. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    The first goal was called off because the whistle blew before the shot went in the net. Can't count what happens after the whistle blows no matter who was at fault. Replays showed a NK player tugging hard on Milbrett's shirt in the box so whistle was for a PK.

Watched NK yellow card on slo-mo quite a few times. Still looked like a valid NK PK to me. Didn't like the yellow card or the way the ref stood over the NK player as she handed it out. Ref appeared to be on a power trip to me.

6. soccrgrlk13s8

soccrgrlk13s8 New Member

Jan 15, 2001
    FL
    I think what is being argued is that there shouldn't have been a whistle in the first place because absolutely nothing happened.

7. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The funny thing about this whole discussion is that the North Korean coach, in the post-match press conference, basically blamed their LOSS on the ref. Go figure - I guess no one liked the officiating.

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    A skunk makes it stink for everyone...

9. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's worried that his next coaching job is going to be with one of the other clubs in North Korea: Gulag Rangers or FC Laborkusen ...

10. Jeminem2000

Jeminem2000 New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Ohio
    the ref from the sweden v. nigeria game should have done the US v. Norway game. she was friggin awesome.

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Denoncourt from Canada; either Ger vs USA or Final (if Canada doesn't win)

Agree, I think she is my favorite ref so far, plus she has only reffed 2 games so far ?????

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Denoncourt the ref -

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/t/match/29/index.html

13. Jeminem2000

Jeminem2000 New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Ohio
    yeah, definately changed my mind after tonights game...