referee charity

Discussion in 'Referee' started by keeper1031, May 16, 2009.

1. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where i referee, we get paid a lot of random amounts ($32, $17, etc) and i usually have 2-3 $ in ones after each game (we get paid in cash). I was wondering if everyone pledged to donate a couple dollars from each game to a charity we could make a real difference.
    I dont know if there are any specific charities for referee's in poor countries, or general soccer funds but 1-2 $ wont be a lot for each person and would add up to a lot if maybe we all did this.

2. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I keep my old stuff and give it to a guy who goes to Haiti every year. The kids who referee the local games cannot afford gear. I have been trying to start a collection of stuff, but so far it has not had much success.

3. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    There are plenty of soccer-related charities everywhere -- even in the US. When I finish a season, I generally try to approximate my expenses (gas, food, drink, uniforms), then take 50% of my profit for the season and give it to a soccer-related charity. United for DC has been my main recipient in years past, but there's also DC Scores (there are affiliates of that in many cities) and even local boys and girls clubs that try to get players simply interested in the game.

This year, I've chosen Little Kicks Coffee out of Honduras. I think I learned about it through Big Soccer, though I'm not sure.

4. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    We have a Kicks for the Cure tournament that started a a couple of years ago. The referees are paid, but it is all donated back to the tournament.