Referee Assignment Announcements & Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by SouthRef, Jun 10, 2014.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting these. Will use this thread as the general assignment announcement and discussion thread. There is a separate stickied thread at the top of the forum that will use as a locked reference of all appointments (at @Spaceball 's suggestion).

It might be worth discussing that this is a pretty big appointment for Rizzoli. Massive, really. It was going to be a UEFA referee and wasn't going to be Webb. But there were several options and he's the guy who gets the nod. Not a bad assignment for Roldan, either. Doue's appointment, to me, confirms that he's held in lower regard--I don't think the expectation is that that will be a big game.

2. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Before the assignment, how would you have ranked the candidates for ESP-NED? Rizzoli, Proenca, Cakir, and Eriksson in some order?

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predicted Eriksson awhile ago.

I didn't think Proenca would touch it, just because of Spain/Portugal similarities/familiarities. Rizzoli was probably my second choice. I think those were the only real options. So I'd have said Eriksson then Rizzoli. Not sure if this plays any sort of role in how decisions get made, but Eriksson will be free to do almost any match all tournament--same can't be said necessarily for Rizzoli. So perhaps that's the kind of thing that's a "tiebreaker" in these sort of assignments.

4. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah I should have left out Proenca. So because Eriksson is "eligible" for more matches than Rizzoli (due to SWE not in the WC?) perhaps they decided to use Rizzoli here to keep Eriksson free as a kind of flex?

5. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Not only Sweden is missing from the World Cup; also missing are other Scandinavian countries whose opponents might have concerns about a Swedish referee: Norway and Denmark (and, as always, Finland).

6. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Is the Spain Netherlands game the biggest game in the group stage apart from the opening match? If a European referee gets the Final, then I think it's between Proenca and Rizzoli for that spot.

7. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Björn Kuipers has been appointed for England - Italy.

Source: KNVB

8. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not official:

Uruguay vs. Costa Rica - BYRCH
    Columbia vs. Greece - GEIGER
    England vs. Italy - KUIPERS
    Ivory Coast vs. Japan - OSSES

9. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
  10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that's a very good match for Geiger. UEFA/non-UEFA in a group that is one of the most wide open. Most importantly, he gets on the field early, which gives him a better chance of getting on the field soon again.

Interesting that only reserves have been used as fourths thus far. Also interesting that Cote d'Ivoire/Japan has a non-UEFA referee (the second time already a non-UEFA is on a game with no UEFA teams). Maintaining continental neutrality might be tough if FIFA keeps this up... or, the UEFA referees just won't be worked as much, which would seem odd.

11. footyref1

footyref1 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Interesting match for Geiger. FWIW, Angeles had Argentina vs. Greece in 1994. I suppose there may be a formula in use.
    A really great appointment would have been England vs. Italy. Maybe improbable, but Klein (Israel) was assigned to England vs. Brazil in 1970, mainly on the basis of his performance in the Olympics two years earlier! Everyone complained ("like sending a Boy Scout to Vietnam" was in one article) but he did very well, and was sent to two more WCs and another Olympics.

PH

13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What are you talking about? You really think the referee committee was thinking "let's give Geiger a Greece match because an American refereed Greece in the 94 World Cup?"

Why not give him Ecuador's first game as Brian Hall's first game at the '02 World Cup was between Ecuador and Italy?

Geiger was never gonna get Italy vs. England.

Then you are comparing Klein and Geiger because they did well in the Olympics.

It's a different time and sport.

14. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    I find it amazing that two non-UEFA games have gone to non-UEFA refs. I wonder if this means FIFA are looking ahead to the 2nd round already and are planning to hold back some of their big UEFA guys from having 2 games, as they won't be able to come the final round of games at this rate.

15. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    It's even more interesting, as that's actually the 3rd game (Mexico-Cameroon; Chile-Australia; Ivory Coast-Japan) that has featured no UEFA countries but has not been given to a UEFA official.

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting they paired Geiger with an Iranian 4th/RAR.

17. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Esse.

18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Generalizing here but it seems that they tend to appoint the lower rated referees from the weaker countries to early first round matches between two teams who most likely won't make it out of the group. They save the stronger referees for the critical last match in the group stage which could decide who gets through. Obviously the knockout stages depends on which teams survive.

PH

19. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A ref from NED for ITA, and a ref from ITA from NED is also interesting--although likely unintended.
    By my count now, if confed neutrality is followed, there will be 3 UEFA refs that only work one first round game, and only 3 or 4 2nd round games that can have a UEFA ref. Wonder if they only give the perceived top 3 UEFA refs one game to save them for those 3 second round games, or if they try to give everyone 1 game and then go on merit from there. I tried keeping that logic going into the quarter-finals, but my head exploded.

20. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    So you're saying they put the best refs on the most important matches and the lesser refs on the least important?
    Pretty sure that's not going to be a contentions opinion. :)

21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yup, easy isn't it?
    Not contentious either:D.

PH

22. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    The problem with that being that some of the top referees in the world from UEFA will be locked out as 13/16 of the last round of matches will be UEFA vs A N Other. The lesser experienced Asian and African officials will have to be involved.

23. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes, but some of them may not be critical at that stage, with the weaker team already out for example. You have also overlooked the CONMEBOL and CONCACAF referees in this analysis, many of which are not inexperienced.

PH

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can scratch out a candidate for a UEFA/CONMEBOL final...

billf and MassachusettsRef repped this.