Referee assaults player!

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Pierre Head, Feb 12, 2020.

1. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, but it was bound to happen eventually.

2. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This technically isn't the first occurrence of referee violence / potential violence. A referee pulled out a gun a couple years ago during an amateur match and another referee pulled out a knife during a match before subsequently being decapitated, both in Brazil.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Man bites dog . . .

4. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    One year ban? I wonder how much the player would have gotten if it was the other way around...

Law5 repped this.
  5. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    I love this quote...
    "The Macerata police chief has said the ban was fully warranted, because Martiniello had failed to set a good example for youngsters."

Well then, if it's all about setting a good example for youngsters, how do we go about cracking down on players surrounding and yelling at the referee in professional matches. Our "youngsters" watch that and it filters down pretty quick.

(I know this has a only a very loose link to the thread...sorry...but every time I see it...which is always, I think about the example being set)

swoot, GearRef and Gary V repped this.
  6. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    So player who was kicked out of game goes to seek out referee after game and violence occurs. If this was a youth referee, the initial response would be to blame the player because you are supposed to leave the ref alone. For an adult, why is the situation any different? Sure the ref is a dumbass for headbutting, but he obviously did not initiate the confrontation. If the player is close enough that he could be headbutted, it was not a friendly conversation. Player should be punished as well for, say a 6 month ban.

appwrangler and Pat Chewning repped this.