Referee Alex Proust is a Pinhead Twit! (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MrSangster, Sep 18, 2003.

1. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for Kamler's bogus red, the cards were pretty much warranted (Kamler deserved a foul and maybe a yellow, but no way in heck a red).

But where the ref ruined the game was by his inconsistency. He let the players kill each other for most of the game then went on a card binge for a few minutes, then went back to letting them kill each other.

I should've taped the game and shown it to my U-14s as an example of how the game should NOT be played or officiated. Basically, just about everything I teach my kids not to do, Colorado and NE did.

2. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    You're joking right?
    Most of us have seen games at all of these level. This is simply false. Maybe a yellow. That's all.

Again, it's like you're describing another sport. Players raise their feet all the time in the course of a game. And contact is made with these feet all the time. The was simply not an example (like Kovalenko) of someone showing an egregious disregard for someone's safety.

If that's the case, I'm assuming his official title is "groundskeeper" right?

Uh in case you didn't notice, the game nearly got out of hand near the end because Prus was not verbally warning (never mind carding or calling fouls) players for a) elbows, b)
    tripping, c) late tackles. Hence Carrieri's antics and Mastro's Red.

Sorry, nothing bothers me more than blind apologism for shoddy officiating. Acknowledge the problem: then maybe you can start to remedy it.

3. Chip

Chip New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Connecticut

And your point is what? It is the advice to referees, aka the governing body's advice on how to interpret and apply the rules. It is a terrific aid to understanding how your "bosses" think the rules should be read.

You must be getting different training than I. I will specifically ask that question this Oct/Nov when I attend the annual refresher. I am certain that the appearance of studs is not an automatic red.

It is true that the word "intent" is not in the rules. However, violent conduct and reckless are. Those require some interpretation which are or border on consideration for intent.

Based on your interpretation I would have to have red carded the other player as well. Both charged into that collission with reckless abandon. Kamler was no more at fault then the other player. Kamler's only mistake was to raise his leg. In my view I didn't see studs, only a knee. He should have seen yellow, no more!

I find your interpretation amazing. Prus has always been a poor referee. He is inconsistent. Go back and watch the tape (a luxury I don't have at this time). You will see him totally a foul on a player and then call an identical foul moments later (no "play on" signalled on the first). Prus will let many hard tackles go early, and then suddenly start calling and carding for them late. I've hated every game I've ever seen him referee.

4. onemorerevolution

onemorerevolution New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    MA
    I don't know about the directive, but extra time in OT is extremely rare. In OT, whistles are blown right before a corner kick.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The player quotes after the game indicate they felt it wasn't a particularly rough or nasty game and they were shocked at the proliferation of cards.

6. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    The players I spoke with after the match certainly didn't feel that way. There seemed to be a fair amount of bad blood lingering. Of course, none of them wanted to say anything on the record for fear of being fined. But suffice it to say, that even the normally calm and reserved players felt the referee had had a poor match, on both sides of the ball.