Reduction of Import players

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Briosa a frente, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Germany's Bundesliga in talks to reduce the number of Foreign players to four per team down from Five.
    Should the Superliga consider something like this.
    Liga pretende reduzir o número de estrangeiros
    A Liga alemã de futebol pensa reduzir de cinco para quatro o número de jogadores não comunitários que actuam na Bundesliga, a partir da época de 2006/2007.

A proposta que irá em breve à aprovação da assembleia geral de clubes, parece merecer o respaldo da maioria.

2. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    well, he can reduce the foreigner players playin' in our league, but not much, because they're helping the development of our players. why there are players like Ronaldo, Quaresma, Gama, Vieirinha? because the learned with brazilians and African players, but now that we have lots of young prospects the foreign players take their places in the teams' lineups..so there's something to do to change this..so we need to reduce but not too much.

3. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Does Anyone know the # of Foreign players allowed per team in the Superliga.
    and does Brazilians count.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Brazilians don't count, Nacional last season played with 9 brazilians at one time

5. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Since they are reducing the number of teams in the Superliga, they should also reduce the number of foreigners on each team.

6. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That is a good point and makes logical sense.

7. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I agree, if we reduce the number of teams we have to reduce the number of foreigners and when i talk foreingners i talk about the Brazilians, because our teams almost don´t have any other non EU players, or even EU players.
    But the problem is that this won´t happen because we signed a treaty of equal rights with the Brazilian government, so we can put any law to reduce the non EU players to 0 to 1 or 2, but we will have teams with 10 Brazilians because in 6 months they will have equal rights and count as Portuguese in our league.
    The only solution i see is to make the football case "special" and to put some rules when buying Brazilian players, rules like the player has to be A international or international in the youth teams, like u-17 or u-20, or another measure like the player has to come from the Brazilian First Division etc i am sure some of this measures will help to solve the problem.
    This is not against the Brazilian players, because we had in the past great Brazilian players and still have some very good one´s right now, the real problem is our yougsters not getting enough opportunities.

8. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is similar to what they are doing in England. A foreign player must be an international who has played majority of the NT's games in a 2 year span. This is one reason that a guy like Tomasz Radzinski is all of a sudden a Canadian NT player again after shunning the NT squad while in Belgium. This gives teams an incentive to buy quality players, not get guys to fill a squad because they are cheaper than a Portuguese player. Something has to be done, because our Portuguese prospects either aren't getting the development that they need in top flight football because spots are filled by cheap foreigners.

9. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Good Point.
    But How Many "International" Brazilian Players could Portuguese Teams afford.
    They would probably have to have a non import status system where by each team would be allowed to designate 1 or 2 Brazilians as non imports.
    If this was to happen then Nacional would be relagated. :D

10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    i don't want that rule, i like the way it is..

11. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Another point i forgot to mention is the economical implications of the rules i talked, the reduction on foreign players would pressure the teams to buy more domestic players, this means the smaller and medium teams would have a lot to gain from the sellings they would made, the same for the medium and big teams, they could get some money from the smaller teams by selling players, they won´t simply loaned them and pay them half salary or something like that until the contract ends.