Alert: Reduce Speed - AARs Ahead

Discussion in 'Referee' started by 2wheels, Oct 6, 2011.

1. 2wheels

2wheels Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Collina appears to be all for additional assistants on the goal lines to reduce pushing-shoving in lieu of goal-line technology. Seems like humans have better influence than the electronics, and that it behooves the referee if s/he takes advice from the crew so as not to make mistakes. This was from the Leaders in Football conference in London/UK, http://bit.ly/qz353G.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to learn this. So, in an assessment, the AARs are asked what they've seen and what advice they gave. They are forthright, as they should be. Then the referee is asked why he didn't follow the advice. Would love to hear the answers to such questions and would hate to be on a flight home after such an assessment.

It does, though, theoretically follow one of my original objections to this experiment. I figured junior referees might be reticent to insist on major decisions. It appears, however, that it's the senior referees that are occasionally reticent to take advice.

3. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not surprised to hear that top level referees have big egos. As I've said in previous posts I don't object the idea of having the AAR's but I do think they are not being used to their potential.
    In addition to goal line decisions they could and should be used to all decisions withing their line of sight, specially at set pieces near or in the PA.
    As a player, and spectator I find abhorrent the amount of holding, tugging and pushing at corners or free kicks around the PA. It's virtually impossible for the referee to see/manage all that by him/herself.
    The biggest problem with the AAR experiment is that they haven't decided how much authority the AAR has or should have. He doesn't have an whistle so he couldn't blow a play dead. He doesn't have a flag so there is no way for the players and spectators to see what he actually saw or called. The referee with the headset can easily ignore any advice without the world noticing. Maybe some hand signals... I don't know.
    I don't believe that technology is the answer either, nothing better than the human eye/brain but only if the AAR can be used the proper way.

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Elleray, the chair of the FA refs committee also said this at the conference.

"Last season in the Premier League 98 per cent of offside decisions were correct," he told the conference.

"I would defy any manager to claim 98 per cent of his selection decisions which he has time to think about were correct or that any player achieved 98 per cent success rate with his shots, tackles or passing the ball.

"Two per cent of so-called mistakes attracted huge publicity."

Collina also mentioned how referees cannot continue "to get killed" every week and that you can't get "referees at the supermarket".