RedStars @ Wash - 4/11/09 -- Game thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ciudadcentral, Apr 8, 2009.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very surprised they BOTH pronounced it wrong. They said Cristianeee and there is no long e at the end of it. It is pronounced Cris-ti-an.

It looks like Marta, Cristiane, and Tiffany Weimer have the flashiest moves in the league. I haven't seen enough of Kelly Smith but she may be up there as well.

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For about how long did you guys play down a man? I mean down a woman.

Wasn't it at least 30 minutes? So that's pretty good how you guys had only 10 vs. 11 for that long and didn't give up a goal.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are playing in the same venue as the Fire and have the 3rd largest metro area in the country.

Also your team is playing very well and is one of the best in the league to watch so don't you think it's possible you could get closer to 10K than 5K fans for the opener or maybe even 10K?

4. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Beulah" is the online nom de plume of a DC-based freelance sports writer who's been writing extremely cogent reviews of women's soccer matches since at least 2001. Http://www.BeulahSports.com is her website, and she has coverage of WPS matches, college matches, Olympic matches, and World Cup matches, at least. Well worth perusing.

5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, well, it's Ella Masar, not Emily Masar. (I also think it's pronounced May-zer rather than Massar, but I wouldn't swear to that.) It's Sarah Huffman, not Sarah Hoffman. It's the Maryland Soccerplex, not the Maryland Soccer Complex. And the WPS allows four subs rather than three. But they got most of the rest of it right. ;)

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm hoping 10,000 at least, depending on how nice the day is. This team has relentlessly promoted the Red Stars. I was driving on Interstate 294 toward O'Hare airport and I saw this huge, beautiful billboard with Lindsey Tarpley on it that said "follow the stars" or something like that. They have others around the city with other players as well.
    I'm a season ticket holder for both the Fire and Red Stars and I hope the Red Stars surpass the Fire's opening day attendance.

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. How bad was the Fire attendance for opening day?

That's great to hear about the Red Stars. Imagine what a great atmosphere with 10K plus AND being on FSC. Should be fantastic.

8. Michael Minnich

Jan 16, 2009
    Club:
    West Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is Nikki Krzysik. Wagenfuhr is listed as 16 on the original final roster announcemeent. Spilger is 13. I don't quite get why there were two #12's on this list.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid10556.aspx?team=chicago

10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    And you left off the biggest X-factor: Peter Wilt. (Now if they would just do the 'your scarf is your ticket' promotion that Seattle did for their home opener in MLS, instant atmosphere.)

I'm pretty sure they said "the WPS" instead of just WPS at least once (doesn't everyone) but "Other than that how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln." ;>)

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Peter Wilt??

12. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CEO, President of the Red Stars. Former GM of the Chicago Fire.

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Wilt is top-notch! I'd want him on my side - though he's always been the opponent...

14. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    A few clarifications....It's Cristiane not Christiane, and it IS pronounced CRIS-tee-AH-nee, it's MASS-ur, not MAY-zer, it's Lindsay not Lindsey, WPS switched back to three subs after US Soccer turned down the request for four and finally...all Red Stars season ticket holders get a city of Chicago flag to use as their opening day ticket instead of a scarf. Looking forward to Sunday!

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Peter, my bad on misspelling Lindsay's and Cristiane's name. I should know better. Trying to get my thought out and not paying attention to make sure I spell my team's players names correctly.

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure because during the entire World Cup and Olympics they pronounced her name Cris-ti-an without a long e at the end. You would think ESPN and NBC would have gotten it right especially ESPN being the "worldwide leader in sports".

17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    All good to know.

You 'da' man, can you clone yourself and get one of you to every MLS and WPS franchise? Well maybe you can skip Seattle they seem to be channeling you alright without the clone (and then you could send two to Denver). ;>) We could finally become a legitimate soccer Nation on the men's side too.

18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Ummm ... They pronounce almost EVERY foreign name wrong.

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nahhhh because they sometimes even ask the players for the correct pronounciation of their names.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You are right. During the WC they did pronounce her name as Cris-ti-an, no ee at the end. That's why I always thought it was pronounced like that by hearing the WWC announcers. Well now I know different.

21. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there has been no official declaration of the pronounciation of her name. The credibility of ESPN and NBC is a lot better than 2 announcers broadcasting WPS.

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Thanks. Believe it or not, I watched the WWC and Olympics, too...I've also spoken to her agent dozens of times and Cristiane as well. So, yes, I am certain. She prefers CRIS-tee-AH-nee...well, truth be told, she prefers to simply be called "Cris".

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bye the way, and Peter jump in if you know this please, why did Frida Ostberg get her first yellow card? I wasn't quite sure about that one. Was it for a foul or did she say something?
    She will be missed next Sunday. She is my Nemanja Vidic on the Red Stars by the way she plays. Tough as nails and doesn't back down.

24. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we can be blamed for that one, considering no one's mentioned that until now - the latest word was Mary Harvey's 3/26 blog entry where she emphatically states there are 4 subs.

(I just want to make the point that WPS does not always do a very good job of getting the word out, and even if it is out, it can be hard to find. For example, just try to find someplace obvious at www.womensprosoccer.com that tells you when the roster deadlines were.)

25. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you THE Peter Wilt, the GM of the Red Stars and former GM of the Fire? Or are do you just have that username?