Rediculous

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by IBleedTeal, Jul 16, 2004.

1. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How can we be considered a serious professional team and try to raise attendance, when radio stations like Channel 104.9 announce your team as the San Jose Spartans.

During their sports preview yesterday, they talked about the SJ Giants, and then said for some professional soccer action the San Jose Spartans take on the Colorado Rapids at Spartan Stadium.

Very nice.

2. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, boy. That's very bad for both parties. Don't worry, if the Earthquakes hang around long enough, they'll see the full transition to big-market (i.e. accurate) media. All the media outlets still have people who were qualified when it was a smaller place. They are slowly either making the cut or leaving to a smaller market to come back when they have more experience.

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Isn't the question really "How can 104.9 be considered a serious radio station?"

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Damn...you beat me to it!

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Because thousands of people around the Bay Area listen to it?

How many fans can we turnoff/mislead?!

What if someone decides to give pro soccer a try, and calls ticketmaster requesting some "San Jose Spartan Soccer Tickets".

6. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Might want to spell ridiculous correctly first before you start harping on other people's mistakes. Then again by your logic I don't take you very seriously now.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if this was the first time a radio announcer made a mistake, i'd be more worried.

let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Thousands of people who pay as much attention to soccer as that announcer does?
    I'm sure this is part of the league-wide conspiracy.
    About as likely on a first impression as an announcer at 104.9 getting the facts straight before making themselves sound foolish on the air.

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Damn, and I thought Spartan Shops had purchased the Quakes and renamed them the "Spartans". If that happened, at least there'd no talk of relocation.

10. IrishQuake

IrishQuake New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Alameda, CA, USA
    Such as KCBS announcing less than an hour after the final whistle last Saturday... "Earthquakes 0 Metrostars 3"

::Gulp::

I had to restrain from calling them to inform them of their mistake.

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Now where KCBS is concerned, I'd just be glad that they noticed we played and announced a score. KCBS is just a wee bit more credible than 104.9.

12. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    Just in case anyone is still confused.

San Jose State Spartans Men’s Soccer Home Schedule

9/1 Wed. Notre Dame De Namur, Spartan Soccer Field, 3:00 pm

9/5 Sun. CS Monterey Bay, Spartan Soccer Field, 1:00 pm

10/15 Fri. UNLV, Spartan Stadium, 7:00 pm

10/22 Fri. Air Force, Spartan Stadium, 7:00 pm

10/24 Sun. Denver, Spartan Soccer Field, 1:00 pm

11/4 Thu. New Mexico, Spartan Stadium, 7:00 pm

11/1 Thu. Sacramento State, Spartan Stadium, 7:00 pm

Can't claim they are professional but they are usually entertaining.

13. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    For what it's worth, Irish, I work as a traffic reporter for KCBS and I was working that night. When I heard them report that I rang up the producer and told him that they had the score wrong, then gave him the correct score. I, then, listened closely every half hour to see when they would correct the mistake. The news anchor that was on the air until 9:00 pm never got it right but the fellow who came in at 9 (Dave MacQueen) did have it right, so the correction was eventually made.

BTW, I am in agreement with all those who are happy KCBS is even reporting the games. That is a step in the right direction--acknowledgment. Heck, they even preview that the game will be played before it starts. That, to me, is gravy from CBS. In all my years of working with them, I have seldom known them to pay much attention to soccer in general. So, take heart with that development. It is definitely a positive to get the mention!

14. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when the Quakes won their first cup in Columbus. I was sent off that day for over celebrating :D The next morning I read in Newsweek or USA Today that the Galaxy won. Now that was rEdiculous !