redefining BOSS goals

Discussion in 'Terminus Legion' started by Eleven Bravo, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree...but who is we?

2. Killakakam

Killakakam Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having the word "hooligan" in a supporters group name is a bad idea. I know Columbus does it with theirs and maybe some others, but hooliganism is something to be condemned not celebrated.

I realize in the US hooligans are often seen as passionate supporters but the truth is hooligans are nothing more than thugs who fight other thugs and happen to be soccer supporters. Not something you want to have associated with a supporters group.

3. atlSPURSfan

atlSPURSfan Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Agree.

Our firm has over 30 people already under the name Terminus and we will be accepting anyone who wants to join.

Not bad for just one week, eh?

4. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having Hooligans in the name would be more tongue-in-cheek than anything else, so it's harmless. I don't see any pro sports fans getting in fights in this city, and I've been to plenty of Falcons-Aints games ;) Keep Street in the name too, for that matter. Assonance FTW.

Terminus Station could be the name of the fan section, and a train whistle could be incorporated somehow (match intros, goals). Atlanta doesn't have much of an identity besides trains and trees, but considering where the stadium would be built, trains would be an appropriate visual/aural connection.

5. offside33

offside33 Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both names sound pretty cool to me, but I think I'd like to be a part of something that is actually doing stuff.

So...how do we join Terminus?!

(P.S. I suggest The Marthas for another supporters group's name. You know, from Marthasville...:p)

6. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why on earth would you want to name your supporters group in homage to a fictitious gang in a crap movie?

ALso anyone using the term "firm" in this day and age. Clearly you never attended games in England during the 70's and 80's. Now where is the face palm emoticon?

7. atlSPURSfan

atlSPURSfan Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Terminus? That name is derived from the original name of Atlanta and plays homage to our history as a city. I think you may be getting confused with the name 'Peachtree Street Hooligans' being thrown around.

Also, firm, ultra, fan club, supporters' group, it's all just a name that represents the same thing.

Sorry to induce a facepalm on such small details. I am just trying to unite all the different groups (BOSS, WS 109, etc.) under one united attempt to bring MLS to Atlanta. Thanks for your support!

8. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was talking about "Green St Hooligans" and using the name Peachtree St Hooligans.
    Also the term "firm" which you used does not mean supporters group, or fan, far from it, you should look into your football history. but is used to describe a gang whose sole purpose is to fight opposing "firms" or "crews" or promote some political agenda associated with the club. I quoted you as you mentioned you were a member of a "firm" who are you planning on fighting? and thus the "facepalm" mention.

It's not as someone has mentioned on here, something to be glamorized or aspired too. I certainly am glad to see the back of those days, as a young lad never knowing when something major was about to kick off, and being stuck, back then in a cage.

Terminus, is a much better idea, as you said it has associations with the city and does not have any negative associations.

9. atlSPURSfan

atlSPURSfan Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Sounds good. I just found it comical that the facepalm was from a bad choice of wording and a misunderstanding. Gotta love anonymous message boards!

I personally like the word ultra, but that also has some negative connotation to it, and I am kinda bored with 'supporters group' or 'fan club' so when it comes to group names and the wording, to each their own, since that is an argument that everyone will have different views on.

That's why my main focus is ATL wants MLS, because holy crap, no matter what people's thoughts are on names, colors, etc., we all want an MLS team so we need to come together and support it. I want to be inclusive and supportive of all of the different firms, clubs, groups, and ultras. Once we have a team, we can figure all of that out.

-M

10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Wait; "Terminus" basically means "end of the road," and connotes a dead end. Doh! :eek:

11. Killakakam

Killakakam Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if you're saying this makes it a good or bad name. It could be spun to be a good name. As in "it's the end of the road (for the away team)" or "it all ends here."

12. danielofthedale

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can also mean the ultimate goal for which something is done, in which getting an MLS team would be the ultimate goal.

13. atlSPURSfan

atlSPURSfan Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it'll never be my first choice (in fact, i absolutely detest the name and i still say if you want a name that is specific to the city of Atlanta that is universally known...it should be Peachtree something), but if it brings MLS to Atlanta, i'm on board.

15. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See what I did there? :p

16. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    we argue alot. I like terminus for something although truth be told it is a bit of a mouthfull. Peachtree is also very ATL but has some drawbacks. people in ATL also hate birds now which I have noted.

You want something that is ATL specific, is no euro-clone but also tips its cap to the traditions of soccer. It would also be good if it could sound tough without sounding overbearing, racist or aggressive.

Thats a pickel gentelmen. But, if I was not able to come up with a solution then I would not deserve the extreem and sometimes embarassing admiration Eleven Bravo has for me. I mean the guy looks up to me and I feel like I should deliver.

How about....The King'smen FC? (MLK) New South FC? (obvious) Souls City? (atl's soul music and food are famous and it sounds cool)

offered for your careless dismissial.

17. atlSPURSfan

atlSPURSfan Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks

I love a lot. I don't really worry too much about the team name as whoever puts in the money to buy the team will have the right to call it whatever they want.

Personally, for the team name, the only 'copies' I would be a fan of are International Atlanta...or Inter Atlanta and Lokomotiv (or Locomotive) Atlanta, playing with our transit background (have to give Danielofthedale credit for that one...he told it to be and it has been growing). There is the Internacional in Brazil and in Italy, and it wouldn't necessarily be a copy, as Atlanta is known around the world as a city with international ties and background.

As far as fan groups, I basically support any and all that can get a following. A group could call themselves 'the coolest fan group ever' and if they bring 100s of passionate, loud, chanting fans every game...I would love it.

18. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    And they all suck.

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta Legion!

I could handle Atlanta Locomotives, but i will not support any Lokomotiv crap.

20. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    The group could be called "Los Locos" :D

21. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant! :p

22. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Yall, MLK was from the ATL. Why not the Kingsmen?

23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know...

while, MLK is definitely a key figure in Atlanta's history. i don't know if i really like the idea of bringing up any sort of civil rights issue...it could either be very positive...or very negative. Also, when i think of Kingsmen for some reason the first thought that popped in my head was King George. Finally, it's not very Atlanta-specific if that's the angle you want to go.

Peachtree Street Hooligans/Firm/Army/Empire/Brigade/Regiment/Cohort/ Legion/whatever to me is the most standout that it is Atlanta specific and only Atlanta specific. I like the idea of calling the fan group Peachtree Street Empire because it also plays off of Georgia being the empire state of the south. And your team name could be Atlanta Legion.

Another option istead of Terminus (Terminal sickness) is Atlanta Railroad or the Iron Horses??? if the club was to be called Atlanta Locomotive(s). maybe even Los Locos???

24. offside33

offside33 Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terminus is cool because we can be all like:
    Is it in us?
    It is Terminus.

Haha.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree to disagree. terminus makes me want to puke.