Reddick was exemplary, wasn't she??

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I think any questions about her worth were emphatically answered in these past 2 weeks and change. And since Germany proved that while size did matter on the Garefrekes goal, an all-around technically sufficient game plan trumps cross-into-box-and-hope.

Paul

2. David Allan

David Allan New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Southeastern PA
    Agreed. How hard is it to go from the WWC Semi-final and consolation match back to NCAA play?

3. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are you not that same genius ranting and raving a month or so ago that Reddick wasn't worthy of being drafted by the Charge (R.I.P.)?

4. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Re: Re: Reddick was exemplary, wasn't she??

:rolleyes:

Opinions can change in the space of two weeks.

During the cup, I came to the realization that Reddick may have indeed been the tonic that the defense needed. The signs prior to the WWC were abundant that a power game which excelled in finishing set pieces was the future of the women's game. Out of the Charge's 35 goals they yielded this year, probably a quarter of them were from set pieces.

Germany, however, taught a valuable lesson to us and to the sport that while size is necessary, there must be a balance between that and run of play creativity. I realize it now, and for fans of the WNT, it's a painful lesson to learn.

Whether or not whomever follows Heinrichs as coach of the WNT (since she has turned into the Andy Reid of women's soccer, as in stunningly unimaginative) embraces that will shape the future of our soccer program for a while to come.

Paul