No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  2. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

ChrisSSBB, Jazzy Altidore and mace repped this.
  4. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Interesting. I hope he responds well. I felt like the analysts calling the game were a bit harsh since Ter Stegen was beaten near post and Dest was the center of 100% of the conversation. It seems like the whole team has not paid attention to the how to score a goal on Rayo scouting report. Or the how to keep me from yawning scouting report.

5. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the type of discipline he needs.

6. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah better that he screw up now and not while guarding Taremi in a match with Iran.

7. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s fortunate to have a coach that is showing some tough love. This will help Dest long term.

Winoman repped this.
  8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. The discussion was all about Dest somehow daydreaming. The other guys get paid too and the player who scored is the 2nd fastest in la liga. I thought Dest got caught a bit but recovered to get into a decent position to cover a decent portion of goal. GK gets beat as well near post… deserves some blame too imo. But you got to also tip your cap to the opponent for a great play. Dest getting pulled was not tough love imo, it was just more scapegoating.

NietzscheIsDead and gjackson2207 repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He can learn to be a great player, after all he's only 21.

But he should do it elsewhere. Starting for Barça to learn the basics is like going to engineering grad school to learn calculus.

usnroach and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he would transfer as well. You get beaten once and you get benched? Silly. Like I said, it was a fantastic run/play by his opponent. Dest got back into position It wasn’t like he was dogging it. What a terrible working environment for a young player. I would like to see him play for a team that appreciates what he brings to the table. Barca is not a place to hone your defensive skills. They except mistakes only from their young offensive players or from their vets.

gjackson2207 repped this.
  11. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    If only he was as aware as Sergio Ramos was when Clint Dempsey picked the ball off of him unaware and put away an undefeated Spain team.

12. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Just saw he has a hamstring injury on Goal. If true then all I have to say from now on when it comes to S players and injures will be:

M‘er F‘er.

13. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    This made me laugh. My son is going to university next year. Computer Science & Electrical Engineering Major. He has already taken AP Calc II. He got a 4 on hs AP Calc I test to get credit for college last year. He is going to a top engineering school and since it‘s been a year they are offering Calc 1 for free to him over the summer online so he can become familiär with THEIR way of doing it.

Several other successful professionals in the field and current/recent students highly recommended he do it. He is because he is a great kid but damn.

zanderbz repped this.
  14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MostAP courses are a money grab teaching watered down crap.
    I'm sure the kiddo is smart but the uni course will be more rigorous.

NietzscheIsDead, Gorky and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean he wasn't being punished?My faith in humanity is destroyed!!!

17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I have no doubts about that. The money grubbing part. We luckily placed him in a rigorous academic school, his request BTW, his sophomore year. That spring COVID hit. His school was fully up and running and teaching a regular curriculum in 2 days. His Calc teacher taught it at RPI for 20 years, chem and physics teachers are from MIT and BU. Hs school is known for being legit, for lack of a better term.
    I guess that was the surprise. Still, even with all of that, most considered he retake it.
    We have no problem with it, as his school offered it for free ($7500) otherwise, but returning to the previous post I responded to, many want to make sure you learn the basics THEIR way. I get it, but damn.

russ repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Unfortunately, in this case, an injury spoils the narrative. I was about to suggest that Dest return to Jong Ajax, to work on his defensive chops, hone his craft, and begin a long, slow climb back to the top. Actually, a season or two in our USL might work wonders and shake him out of his evident funk.

Now, I simply have to wish him well. He is one of my favorite players, after all.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,35 years ago I became a physical intervention trainer because as a direct care grunt I thought the basics weren't being taught well by the manager doing the training.
    So yeah,what people think are the basics can vary widely.:)

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of your best posts

gjackson2207, Winoman and russ repped this.
  21. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    How did I miss this! Outstanding.

Especially knowing I am culpable.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gjackson2207 repped this.
  24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I would think a team of Barcelona’s caliber would prefer to get players in the top 20.

[emoji41]

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The "money grubbing" depends on where your kid ends up at college. D1, who went to an engineering Uni that gave pre-req but not credit for APs, re-did Calc because she wanted to make sure she had it down. D2, who is at a biz-design dual program that gives credit for APs probably saved us 10-15k and saved herself a 1/2 year of school. APs are cheap if you get private uni $ credit. If not, less so.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.