No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Pretty crappy result tho, v. Grenada. They cling to a top-6 spot, but Rayo could catch them with a win v Betis (although both teams are tight to Barca on points so it won't matter much either way.)

2. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Strategically, it made no sense to bring back 38 year old Dani Alves and bench Dest. With that logic, there available free and cheap mid-30 year old talent you could put all over the pitch. This ‘he’s a legend’ stuff doesn’t get very far in my book.

Part of me wants to see him stay and wait for the young guys to grow up around him (he’ll for sure get his place back sooner than later) but another part of me feels like ‘screw this terribly managed club and just move onto a more stable Bayern or even Chelsea’.

Given this- I have feeling the Torres move is going to work poorly and Man City sold high- cause I don’t trust Barcelona’s deal making at all at the moment.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    this has been thoroughly discussed in Spanish media. He is there primarily as a player-coach

russ, superdave, freisland and 1 other person repped this.
  4. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Yes, but if he plays for another 1 1/2 years and this reduces Dest's minutes by 50% or more.....what do you say to that?

Also, 'coach' can mean a lot of different things. Would they give such a position to any 38 year old former top player? Likely not. Me thinks that a lot of the 'coaching' has to do with veteran presence type stuff....which may or may not be valuable.....

And NBA analogy would be calling Rondo when he was with LA or Haslem with Miami assistant coaches (because they essentially were). The big difference being that they were not brought to suck up a lot of young starters minutes- whereas with Dani, you could see Dest's minutes drop dramatically this season and next.

If you want him to coach...make him a coach. But it is totally out of the concept of playing very young, somewhat green players at other positions...who will occasionally take their lumps...but then thing a 38 right back is the answer.

I guarantee you that Alves will be having some 'oops I'm pretty old' plays over the next 6-18 months...which will cost his team. Better to let those mistakes be made by younger players who can still get better.

ChicagoVT and schrutebuck repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It sure looks like Dani Alves is going to play, judging by his 180 minutes in the last four days.

russ and golazo68 repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And his assist today...

Gacm32 and golazo68 repped this.
  7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I'd hate to have to beat out my coach for playing time.

majspike, wsmaugham, ChicagoVT and 3 others repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he is 38. So I doubt he'd like 90 minutes of back and forth. ;)

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dest is just back, have some patience people.

Winoman and tomásbernal repped this.
  10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this works out, it could be a great situation from Dest. I think Alves is a great role model for him.

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    They are going to play him on offense and bring someone else in for the defensive assignments.

I don't think Xavi or Alves want Alves to be their 90 min per week guy for the rest of the season. Be interesting to see how far he can go. Usually only NHL defensemen play this long.

12. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I did a cursory look and I believe Dest went to Barcelona originally for 25 million. I don't see them taking a hit on him with supposedly Bayern and others with interest.

wsmaugham repped this.
  14. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Thread title change: Sergino Dest-ination unknown.

(BTW, still think he stays. But who knows. Barca got some issues.)

17. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
  18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Chelsea on loan makes some sense. But why would he want to permanently transfer to a club that could have two England international footballers healthy and playing his position(s) in the leadup to the next World Cup?

freisland repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, he's a good short-term fix but if both Chillwel and James come back full-strength, that's a tough row to hoe.

randomnoise, Winoman and FC Tallavana repped this.
  20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like it will take a lot to convince Dest to leave Barcelona.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If Chelsea really do purchase outright, I'd guess they have in mind that Dest could be bumped upstairs to winger since he has a decent SOG with both feet. He'd get a lot of minutes even if Azpi returns to Spain and Chillwell and Reece come back. The Chelsea fixture list is always crowded.

That's called the "glass half full" analysis.

p,s. And I should have added that Dest playing in finals of UCL in a few weeks with Chelsea is the "champagne glass bottoms up" analysis.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest or Pulisic at RWB controversy in 3 2 1...

Pegasus and Deeneaus repped this.
  23. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Thanks for using the right expression - I see people using "a tough road to hoe", which makes no sense, all the time...:confused:

russ, Deeneaus, aveslacker and 3 others repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Unless you're a physical intimacy worker plying their trade on a difficult corner...

25. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    QUOTE="freisland, post: 40189938, member: 12647"]Unless you're a physical intimacy worker plying their trade on a difficult corner...[/QUOTE]
    Uh, that's, "a tough road to ho"

russ repped this.