No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Gorky repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Nico saves the day after a shocking couple of minutes where Barca tried to give the game away... I know he's legend and all that, but Xavi is not inspiring a lot of confidence just yet. Only good news for Barca is Athletico falling apart atm, which at least keeps 4-7 pretty tight. It wouldn't take much of a run of wins for Barca to be back in the money... or much of a run of losses/ties to be well out. Points against Sevilla on Tues would go a loooong way to getting them back to respectable. They'd jump Rayo and Real Soc with a 2 goal win and would force Athletico to stop the slide to get back to to 4th.

dspence2311 repped this.
  3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have so many injuries to our forwards/attacking players, plus, Aguero had to retire.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dervos, Gacm32, usnroach and 2 others repped this.
  5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're trolling?

taylor and chad repped this.
  6. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was curious so I spent a couple minutes looking into it. It seems to be some kind of purely stats-based ranking.

According to the website of the center that did the rankings:
    Players were selected according to the CIES Performance Index powered by Opta data.

So it's based on some algorithmic crunching of statistics. Not completely worthless by any means, but for sure not the entire picture.

Gacm32, taylor, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xavi compliments the Sevilla coach as one of the best. RECALL SEVILLA COACH WANTED THE USMNT JOB BUT USSF DID NOT EVEN INTERVIEW HIM.

"You can look at Bayern (Munich), they are playing great, but I what I like about Sevilla is how they work, their coach (Julen Lopetegui) is one of the best, they also have Monchi (sports director). Sevilla should be an example for us."

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wasn't the rumor of Lopetegui wanting to coach the USMNT disproved already?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...by-ex-real-madrid-coach-julen-lopetegui-agent

papermache16 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    if barca really were offered 45 million for dest last time around and turned it down i can guarantee you that now they are near financial ruin bayerns offer wont be no 45 million. bayern didnt become bayern by being idiots. i am sure they would take dest, but they are going to require a discount on the discount too

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big match with Sevilla today, hoping Sergino is back.

13. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's out, club already confirmed it yesterday when they announced their preliminary squad list and Xavi was addressing it in his press conference earlier in the day.

usnroach repped this.
  14. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    appreciate the heads up, I wonder if he played his last match for Barca?

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. BVB would be a great spot for him IMO.

Excellency and usnroach repped this.
  16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    There will be a market. They'll have to pay close to what someone else will pay to win. However, there aren't that many clubs with +/- 45 million to spend on a right back that don't already have a great one. Personally, I care absolutely none what the transfer fee is, I just want to see him on the best club that will play him.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dest is still injured, so he may play again once he's back.

Spain is becoming a black hole for our guys: Miazga, Hoppe, Dest not playing and Musah nearly there.

18. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I doubt it. Xavi was pretty clear in his press conference comments that the only reason Dest hasn't played much is due to the injuries. All of the unsourced articles that are popping up about Barca wanting to offload him, that Xavi think he's a bad player, that he publicly humiliated him at some point, etc. etc. remind me of the similar stories that were coming out about McKennie a few months ago. I tend to take the coach's statements at face value more than unsourced rumors.

Also practically speaking, Barca's first game of 2022 is already on Jan. 2, then they have an utterly ridiculous schedule of 6-7 games (depending on whether they win their Supercoppa de España semi over in Saudi Arabia) over 21 days, plus a likely makeup Copa del Rey game in the same timeframe. Transfers like this rarely happen as soon as the window opens so even if Bayern made a play (I'm not convinced), I would expect it to take a few days/weeks to happen, during which point he still belongs to Barca as they are going through a murderers' row of games.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is Krel like Krell in Forbidden Planet? (Just curious)

Winoman repped this.
  20. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Stupid reports that Barcelona wants to sell Dest in January to pay for other acquisitions. That would be a bad move for Barca IMO

They are a super young all along the line, but super talented...they should stay that way and develop a super club for next season (and forget this year's) vs. trying to create something now. It is too early for their young talent to hit their marks in next 7 months...but after that woa....

It is a stupid report if true, because they will be selling him at a massive discount.

Bayern is the reported interested suitor and would represent another great arbitrage play by BM, if true.

BM, I think, is best run club in the world.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bayern is run like Microsoft in the 00s: embrace, extend, and extinguish. They buy key players from any team getting too close right before the league gets interesting.

They're so well run they're going to break the system. As is, the Bundesliga is having trouble finding broadcasters in Asia (one of the biggest markets) because of Bayern's dominance.

Asians like to watch leagues where the winner is not known on the first day. The numbers in India (for example) dropped to the point where Star Sports had to drop them last year.

mace repped this.
  22. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice guess....but no. :D It originated from a very old (originally published in syndication in 1996) Life in Hell comic from Matt Groening - one of the "Akbar & Jeff" ones where an inane argument ends with them touching fingers and saying "Krelm" & "Wuzzle". How that became "krelmatrix" is too long & meandering of a story for the Dest thread.

russ and aveslacker repped this.
  23. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, the BL is less interesting every year because there is no real competition at the top. I hope Dest stays at Barca and is part of the rebuild. No reason to think he won’t survive there as he has the skills and desire. He can improve in the finer points of tactics and defending over the coming months, years. He is really an exciting player and Barca is better off with him.

Winoman, freisland and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The most important thing for Dest at the moment is to be someplace where he learns some tactical discipline. He has all the raw tools, the better he learns to play in sophisticated, consistent set-ups the better for him long term. In a perfect world he goes to a tactically sophisticated and somewhat stable coach/team - but those gigs are relatively few and far between in footie.

usnroach repped this.
  25. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Also, two rich places in Asia are Hong Kong and Singapore, they tends to watch EPL more than other league.