No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet I pay for (or have access to) 5 different streaming services and none of them shows La Liga, home of two of the biggest teams in the world. But I think of that often as well, waiting months for a USMNT game or some friendly or something to be played on regular broadcast. Now I can watch more games in a day than I could in YEARS when I was a kid

ChicagoVT, justinpaul10 and LouisZ repped this.
  2. Pixiejoe7

Pixiejoe7 Member

Universidad Católica
    United States
    Jun 5, 2020
    If we're going purely off NT performance, then I give the edge to Robinson. He was one of the team's key contributers in 2018 with 3 assists. The only game I think he played poorly in was the pre gold cup tune up friendly against Jamaica where he was played out of position at lwb.

Cannon meanwhile has looked great against weaker CONCACAF sides like during the gold cup, Cuba in nation's league and the Costa Rican version of camp cupcake this past January. But against better teams he's struggled to hang. He was bad against Peru and Italy in 2018. Mexico at the gold cup he was good during the first half but struggled during the 2nd half when Tata flipped Pizarro and Antuna. And Mexico round 2 was bad too.

Time will tell though. Cannon might tear it up in Boavista and get a transferred to Lille and Robinson might flop in Fulham. Who knows?

This is a Dest thread though so I'll just leave it there.

3. Pixiejoe7

Pixiejoe7 Member

Universidad Católica
    United States
    Jun 5, 2020
    If we're going purely off NT performance, then I give the edge to Robinson. He was one of the team's key contributers in 2018 with 3 assists. The only game I think he played poorly in was the pre gold cup tune up friendly against Jamaica where he was played out of position at lwb.

Cannon meanwhile has looked great against weaker CONCACAF sides like during the gold cup, Cuba in nation's league and the Costa Rican version of camp cupcake this past January. But against better teams he's struggled to hang. He was bad against Peru and Italy in 2018. Mexico at the gold cup he was good during the first half but struggled during the 2nd half when Tata flipped Pizarro and Antuna. And Mexico round 2 was bad too.

Time will tell though. Cannon might tear it up in Boavista and get a transferred to Lille and Robinson might flop in Fulham. Who knows?

This is a Dest thread though so I'll just leave it there.

sXeWesley and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think judging anyone for the national team based on their national team performances is relevant since there hasn't been a game that mattered in almost a year.

To put that in really stark, holy-shit-this-is-the-longest-year perspective, Gio Reyna was still two months away from making his Dortmund debut when the US last played a competitive match.

So your argument totally holds water, but given the length of this Covid-induced USMNT break, I'm willing to basically wipe the slate clean for everyone.

Winoman and russ repped this.
  5. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was interesting seeing him at LB. To some degree I feel like that could be a position he could excel at. I think he's better as an offensive back at link up play than necessarily bursting past his defender and going to the line. In that sense having him on the left and allowing him to come inward to link up with other players more might bring out the best of his abilities, a bit more like Marcelo.

superdave, KenC, ChicagoVT and 1 other person repped this.
  6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you!

Everyone: please use the national team forums to discuss the national team.

mace, Winoman, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  7. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thread title time?

8. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The poll closes at 5:06 PM.

9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    It is glorious

10. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Remember I had to defend myself for being sad that Dest did not pick the Netherlands over the USA. Times change.

Dest will do fine.

11. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Looked like he passed up a shot in the touch video

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more convinced Dest is legit Barca quality than I am McKennie is legit Juve quality.

13. Insecticide

Insecticide Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my suggestion for the new thread title:

Put to the Dest: Sergiño at Barça

Mt Stone@ and Marius Tresor repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you actually want people to use the national team forums to discuss the national team, the moderators need to do a much better job of policing them. They're a cesspool.

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If they would just let us have a single YA USMNT discussion thread it would solve so many problems. But it has been suggested and rejected on multiple occasions.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The league comparison thread has been a wonderful quarantined area. That idea should probably be expanded to what you suggested.

superdave and FC Tallavana repped this.
  17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    A single YA USMNT thread and a running gameday thread would solve a lot of problems here, but the mods just haven't been receptive to change. I guess they like cleaning up the forum day after day after day.

The reason nobody posts in the gameday threads -- if one is even created -- is because they last for a couple hours and then they die. Posting there is like hanging out in a graveyard. So I would propose every player's gameday thread is open for an entire season. Just label it like "Sergino Dest 2020-21 Match Thread." The gameday sub-forum would look less like a failed thread graveyard, which I think would lead many more people over there on gamedays than we currently get.

18. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    x1000

Tom Collingsworth and sXeWesley repped this.
  19. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Messi sucks!

dspence2311 and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Rossi?
    Ramos?

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  21. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's Tab Ramos to whom your are referring, from what I can tell, he never played first division Spanish football. He played for Real Betis in the second division and the team was promoted to the first, with Ramos on that team. However, he was recovering from the major head injury (skull fracture) acquired against Brazil in the 1994 WC and never played a game for Real Betis.

22. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    haha.

it puts a player into perspective when they’re dishing to Messi rather than Steve America.

23. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went with:
    Red, White, & Blaugrana: Sergiño Dest at FC Barcelona

(I'm the one who decided it needed the Oxford comma. You're welcome.)

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Only repping for the Oxford comma.

tomásbernal, russ, Gacm32 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not attend Oxford and must protest the unnecessary and ostentatious comma. No offense, but it ruins and demeans the entire thread title. Ugh.