No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    The coach certainly F'ed that up

Deeneaus repped this.
  2. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    You still don't *say* that because you're trying to maximize the sale value. I'm flabbergasted.

Winoman and Deeneaus repped this.
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hernandez doesn't impress me at all. In fact, to me it looks like Bayern starts to give up goals when he comes on the pitch.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That was my feeling as well, he would benefit from another season at Ajax, but life is short. There's likely to be some cognitive distortion, because Dest's ego is as big as all outdoors, but more reasonably I think he may believe (rightly or wrongly) that he has absorbed as much as he can from ten Hag and the Ajax development program. So it's time to move on to graduate school.

Also of interest (to me) was the commonality among the rumored Destinations: Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus, PSG - dominant teams that have a lot of the ball, are generally on the front foot, attacking against teams that are on the defensive, if not fully packed in.

dspence2311, Deeneaus and sXeWesley repped this.
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One could certainly say the same thing about Arsenal. In the past four years, Ajax have made it to a Europa League final and come within five seconds of a CL final. what have Arsenal done?

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Which coach? Why?

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love when people try to do this sort of thing as though it's a valid argument.

Yeah, Arsenal has sucked shit for years. They finished 8th in the Premier League last season. They're obviously not a top 10 club either.

Don't be so defensive.

CZM4, Ironbound, hoys and 4 others repped this.
  8. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true, not true at all. Dest has 4 goals and 5 assists in all competitions in what is limited minutes where he is not even a starter, Champions league goals and assists. More end product than Maz in his entire Ajax career. I mean come on man this is objective truth not opinions here.

He has the specific tool that Bayern wants right now today. I don't disagree with you at all on how he would benefit from staying and I am not saying he should go. I am on both sides of the fence here. I love Ajax and watch every game before Dest and I obviously love the USMNT, I have wanted a real US player at Ajax since JOB and was very excited to see Dest for 2 more years or so. I was just answering the other person's question on why Bayern want him this badly.

I don't think this is Kluivert and I don't think the club handled this right, but now we are just getting into speculation and we are not going to agree. I will just say again that Bayern Munich is the cause of this in my opinion and they have done this many times in many similar situations and I really do not like them doing it to Ajax and I want Ajax to kick their ass in the CL.

Yes and no. For him personally a very fat 5 year contract at the greatest team in the world right now where even if you "fail" you easily drop down to the level of team Kluivert left for is not risky at all.

Also I earlier said that Ajax fans not rating him and being upset he did not choose Oranje was stupid BS and it is. So is all these dumb Ajax fans saying Bayern is buying him for US marketing.

9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    now this thread is going places

Winoman repped this.
  10. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Uhhhh Maz scored THE 2 most important CL goals last year (at Bayern/Benfica, winning 3 points and getting Ajax to the KO stages). Dest scored 2 goals in a meaningless Cup game... I have no clue where you got your numbers from on Dest but they are wrong. Dest didn't have any G/A in CL.

You can argue about who is a better player. I think they're just different. But in terms of goal importance, there is no comparison.

sXeWesley repped this.
  11. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone was fine with him staying at Ajax and would be fine if he stayed now and we are unanimous on agreeing that Ajax is a fantastic club and the hands down best Academy and finishing school in the world, far better than anyone else like Bayern or Feyenoord and that he would benefit from continued tutelage.

I was answering the question of why Bayern want Dest so bad and we agree. From the Dest side of things obviously he likes lots of money like every other human being and feels he can still become a complete player at Bayern even though they are an evil, predatory club and I don't like them, they are plenty competent at developing players themselves.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, I better stop posting here and slink back to the forum that I MOD!! What ever the decision, I wish Best the best of luck. He can become a very good player.

Grumpy in LA and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. Those are all defenders from before the new trend of adding power (=length) to players on top of what is required already. All are if I saw it correctly way over 35. They're from a bygone era.

14. This has always been the way the Dutch 4-3-3 or Total Football was applied since the 1970ies.

15. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's ok to be a short fullback, but it can be an issue for a team to have 2 of them, particularly on set pieces. That said, it helps if you dominate possession like Barca or Bayern...

16. That was in times that attackers etc. werenot the beasts they are nowadays.

17. By putting him in the line up instead of Dest. What was he supposed to say? Dest is better, so I put Mazra on the pitch?

18. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit of ambivalence here. When I watch either team, I tend to root for the opposing team. Hard to do if Dest is playing for either one.

ttrevett repped this.
  19. James Rodríguez. They payed over 13 million a year for his loan.

ttrevett repped this.
  20. As I posted before the matches that matter for these teams are those against the top tier clubs and those clubs donot get packed in. So if you have a weakness concealed by less strong clubs, you get exposed in the matches that matter for those top tier clubs.

21. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did you watch the press conference? Were the translations correct?

22. Nope and I can't find a working video of his conference. The Ajax sites I saw however do report about the same as in the quotes.

23. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you do say that if you are trying to expedite departure.

russ repped this.
  24. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    You think sales value is connected to a press conference? Like the clubs dealing with Ajax are using that as leverage?

Dest's value was screwed the second he decided not to sign an extension. From that point forward, Ajax is in a bad position. The only thing that can drive it up is Barca selling someone and getting involved. This is part of why Ajax fans (myself included) are a bit miffed: Dest/his agent gave the middle finger to the club he's been a part of since he was 11.

russ and DutchFanatic repped this.
  25. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he has a manager who doesn't rate him as highly as Maz....he's young and clubs are interested. If following your path even if it means leaving your current comfort zone is somehow flipping Ajax off, so be it.

USSoccerNova repped this.