Red Stars Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Apr 2, 2013.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe you guys can help me out. I was going to propose to Arnim Whisler and Alyse LaHue next time I see them that maybe the Chicago Red Stars have been around now long enough to start a Hall of Fame.

The Chicago Fire have a HOF which they call Ring of Fire, with Peter Wilt, Frank Klopas, Peter Nowak in it.

First of all what could we call the Chicago Red Stars Hall of Fame? Ring of Stars? What?

Second, who would be the first inductee(s)? Megan Rapinoe? (But she hasn't retired yet and is playing for another team), Brittany Klein? Marcia McDermott? Cristiane? Karen Carney?

Help me out here, Folks??!!

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think "gallery or stars" or "hall of stars" sounds better than "ring of stars", but that might just be me.

You need to establish the rules for eligibility and inclusion before asking who should be inducted.
    Does it have to be a player, or are staff (or maybe even fans) eligible? Does the person have to be no longer with the club, or do they have to be completely retired (at least in terms of their previous role)?
    Who chooses who gets inducted - fans, players and staff, past inductees, or a mix? How many people can get inducted per year?

Considering the Red Stars were basically at the bottom of the table their first two seasons, I find it hard to justify honoring any of the players who were with the club only those years. I could see Wilt getting a nod, though, for starting the club and setting the structure for an organization that's lasted this long.
    From their WPSL years, I could definitely see Cinalli getting a nod - top scorer in '11, and though not overall top scorer in '12 (that went to Fowlkes) she was the top scorer in their Open Cup campaign, IIRC - definitely in their final two games.
    If you allow for current players/staff to be considered, then I think players Masar, Fowlkes, and Chalupny, and staff McDermott, Whisler, and Dames are all very deserving.

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Cristiane was their very first leading goal scorer in franchise history (with seven goals in 2009).
    Tarpley was their first ever captain (inaugural year). She was the team's George Washington.
    Krzysik and Dalmy are their best defenders ever.
    Rapinoe was their best mid.

If you had to carve a Red Stars "Mount Rushmore", those listed above could be the faces on it.
    You could call it "Mount of Red Stars", as one of the sections in the new Hall of Fame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ceezmad repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ....Although, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Tarp; she did score the first two goals for the franchise. That's probably worthy of a hall of fame nod as well, even if she wasn't incredibly effective on the field overall.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPS_Movement how do you come up with all this shit lol :thumbsup:

MRAD12

I think is too early for any honor/hall of stars, I would wait until the player retires.

If they want to honor the original stars then go with Cristiane and/or Rapinoe.

Eventually Masar will make it, she has been a star at least part time every year exept 2011.

BTW Wenino was a star 2009, 2012 and 2013 (unless she does not make the final cut).

Tarpley maybe if she stays with the team another 2 or 3 years.

But really IMO only Masar, Cristiane and Rapinoe should be considered as of right now.

Edit: Whisler should be the first person in the Hall of Stars for keeping the franchise going all this time. :)

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm actually more excited about a MagicJack hall-of-fame.

USB Hall of Fame Player of the Decade: Megan Rapinoe

Rapinoe could be in the Hall of Fame for five teams:
    Chicago, Philadelphia, MagicJack, Seattle Sounders, and Seattle Reign

Cost-cutting phone service Defensive player of the decade: Marian Dalmy (MagicJack)

Ethernet Coach of the Decade: Dan Borislow (MagicJack)

High speed device Fans of the Decade (all 328 fans who came out to watch MagicJack)

MagicJack team of the Decade: 2011 (playoffs 3rd place, and super semifinal appearance)

"It's not just a standard jack. It's a MagicJack" (written on commemorate plaque in Hall-of-Fame)

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    was any player on the redstar's roster for all 3 WPS seasons? when i think of a club hall of fame, i think of Erika with Santos from 15 - 22 yrs old or something like that. I mean she is the 1st Mermaid. People would say, Marta, but she was only around for two seasons or so.

[​IMG]

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The Red Stars were only in WPS for two seasons (2009 and 2010).
    In 2011, they were no longer around.
    Only six teams were in WPS in 2011 (WNY, MagicJill, Philly, Boston, Sky Blue, Atlanta).

Basically only five teams in 2011, because Atlanta was virtually a minor-league (semi pro) team in talent that year. They couldn't compete. It was a shame then that the league's best stadium housed the least collection of talent. In 2010, the individual talent was strong in Atlanta, after St. Louis folded early in the season. Atlanta couldn't retain those players for 2011.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since the Stars only played 2 WPS seasons that would be a huge accomplishment. :p

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, aside from the obvious mistake already jumped upon, I think newsouth has a good point. It's hard to think of someone entering a "hall of fame" if their time with the club was relatively short. Take the Fire's "Ring of Fire", the Freedom's "Hall of Freedom", or the Breakers' "Pillars of Excellence" - every player in those honor circles played/worked at least three seasons with their club, with the only two players spending less (Jones w/ the Freedom and Klopas w/ the Fire) getting their team to multiple trophy matches (and even the players with just three years often had those years include titles).

In that sense, Masar certainly fits the bill, and maybe Cinalli - as do the current staff - but none of the "bigger-name" original* Red Stars had the impact to justify inclusion, IMO. While I do think retirement is a good 'need' for inclusion, I almost want to say that if Masar keeps performing well, then maybe five or six active years would be enough, retirement or no?
    *I will concede the fact that I was not a Red Stars fan at the time, so if other players were "huge" in the community and in the average fan's mind, then maybe they had more "impact" then I'm thinking, but it doesn't change the fact that players like Cristiane, Rapinoe, etc. just don't have enough history with the club.