Red Sox Off-Season: How to Retool for a Repeat?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by DoctorJones24, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Mueller's knees could handle a full season at 2B.

If you don't like Bellhorn, I don't see why you'd be excited about Glaus. They're pretty much the same player, although Glaus admittedly gives you more power. Doesn't get on base as much, though.

Reading up on Schneider, I think he'd be an acceptable alternative. He's just about the best defensive catcher in the game, and he might be one of those guys that flourishes in the AL where he won't see as many fastballs.

2. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mirabelli inked to a two-year, 3M deal.

This is very good. May help with Varitek negotiations.

Pedro's been offered a better deal than we're giving him by Minaya. If he takes it, it frees up a whole lot of cash to get Radke/Pavano/Clement/Perez and make a hard run at Tim Hudson.

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    This opinion may not be a popular one within Red Sox Nation (RSN), but I hope Pedro takes the offer, I wish him well, and thank him for seven great seasons.

Not only does it free up cash, but let's face it, Pedro isn't the easiest guy to deal with a lot of the time, and more importantly, I don't think he's more than a six inning pitcher anymore with rare exceptions. While I'd want zero part of Perez, Clement, Pavano, and Radke are all intriguing. I'm not sure who I'd go for, Clement or Pavano, my dad says Clement, as does Dayn Perry of Sporting News. Either one for 9-10 mil plus 3-4 mil for bullpen depth sounds good to me if that's the direction they take. I'd really like Hudson, but it depends on how many other guys besides Arroyo will need to go for it to happen. Arroyo, Jon Lester, and and another pitching prospect? Yup.

Also, Pedro wouldn't be able to hurt us with the Mets. Even with him and Benson, they are not close to being a playoff team.

Mirabelli's return is big since we need a knuckleball catcher, and we've got half a catching tandem, even if I'm not comfortable with him back there 120-130 games a season.

4. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Arroyo to stay here, personally. I'd rather see some sort of a three-way trade that gets us Hudson and sacrifices Youkilis, if anybody from the 40-man has to go.

People on other boards are speculating as to how long before they outfit Trot for a first-baseman's mitt and get rid of both the guys we have there now. Maybe a couple years. I want Millar gone and to see Eyechart start some games.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Boras backed down from the 5/55 deal, and now is willing to have a 4 year deal with an option to void the 5th (similar to Bonds contract). Boras still asking for 11, Sox willing to give 9, so if both make a compromise we could see Tek signing a deal of 4/40 with an option to void the 5th.

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
  8. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
  9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    36/4 is already completely nutso. I doubt Varitek will get better than that given that no other team would pay him anything near that amount.

10. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...04/12/09/sox_martinez_meet_mantei_joins_team/

What's interesting is that Papi says Pedro isn't going to the Mets. I'm guessing he learned that from private conversation with Pedro, but we'll see.

Sox also interested in David Wells and Julio Lugo. Lugo's quite a talent, but was arrested for assaulting his wife last year. That may scare the Sox away. We all remember the Wil Cordero Era, after all.

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But unlike Cordero, Lugo was acquitted and probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's the best name I've heard so far in the search for a new SS.

Can't imagine David Wells would be too fired up about making half his starts in Fenway Park, given how vocal he's been in his dislike towards the place... besides, I think there are better options to replace Lowe.

And yeah... I think 4/36 is a little on the high side for Varitek.

750K for Mantei is a steal if he's healthy, though.

12. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBS reported that Pedro will sign for 3/40.

Good to have you back.

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
  14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Given the escalation of salaries in the last few days, I have to take this back. 36/4 doesn't look too bad anymore. In fact, it looks like salaries are going back to the way they were 3 years ago. I suppose that ultimately helps rich teams like the Red Sox, but I can't be happy about it.

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sox are now in the hunt for Tim Hudson. I really like to hear that because Hudson has credentials. LA is still the leading contender and may look to sign him.

"Free-agent shortstop Edgar Renteria is not on the verge of signing with the Red Sox, according to a source with knowledge of his negotiations." That's from Fox Sports.

I've also heard that the Mets have suggested a Manny for Piazza blockbuster deal.

It'll never happen. Stupid Mets.

16. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    If what Prof. Zodiac posted yesterday is true about what the Sox are offering, I doubt it will be enough, unless it's Arroyo AND Nixon (and perhaps another pick or prospect or some salary relief). Other than that, LA's offer is best: their top minor league pitching prospect and their top offensive AAA infielder. Also, the Braves are still a serious contender, and with Ortiz gone they'll make a serious run at Hudson, who's from Alabama and would probably love playing in Georgia. As an A's fan, I like the idea of Hudson being out of the AL, thank you.

17. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    A lot of people, myself included, jumped the gun with Renteria.

18. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
  19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manny's contract is so bad, I'd have to really think about a Ramirez-for-Floyd deal. It would depend on what I could do with the savings.

Starting to hear rumors that the Mets have won the Pedro Martinez Sweepstakes by adding a guaranteed fourth year.

Ouch.

21. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Manny has a big contract, but who are you going to get to replace him? Beltran? He's just not the fearsome hitter Manny is. He had a ridiculous postseason, but it clouds the fact that he hit .267 last year.

22. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Gammons is reporting that this is still going to happen, and very soon.

The Pedro to Mets rumor is getting very hot, and supposedly the Sox will be after Tim Hudson.

23. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the rumors floating around is that the Sox could use the money from a potential Ramirez-for-Floyd deal in order to sign Renteria and Carlos Delgado, who they've apparently been talking to. That would give you:

CF: Damon
    2B: Bellhorn
    1B: Delgado
    DH: Ortiz
    C: Varitek
    SS: Renteria
    LF: Floyd
    RF: Nixon
    3B: Mueller

...which isn't a bad lineup by any stretch of the imagination. And it would leave you with Millar, Mientkiewicz, Roberts and possibly Youkilis as potential trade bait.

From Boston.com this afternoon:

24. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pedro leaves, I will never forgive him. Not because he left, but because he's fcuked us over by taking so GD long to make a decision. Now we're out on Pavano, likely out on Clement, out on Matheny, possibly out on Hudson.

Fcuking ass. Sh!t or get off the pot, Pay-dro.

25. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More from the Boston Herald: