Red or Yellow? Ben Thatcher vs Pedro Mendes

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by pittsy1, Aug 28, 2006.

1. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    The elbow on Pedro Mendes was absolutely disgusting, Ben Thatcher deserves a straight red? Was Dermot Gallagher on drugs? what does he deserve, for me it has to be a season ban. First diving now assault :eek:

2. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    any video of the incident?

3. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of links posted in other threads, but the best I've seen was on Sky. The slo-mo is quite damning. Don't have the link though.

4. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCpHGVPJ-w

Hey, were you at the Auburn v. Texas game Friday? I thought I saw you leaving with about 15 minutes to go, but I was too far away to say hello.

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I was.

6. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Cool. Last night's game was a bit easier.

7. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    definitely a red card and one of the most vicious things you'll ever see in a football match. I think that ref got pulled from his next match for not giving a red.

8. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't make a red card red enough for that.
    He should get a black card...
    ...and a swift punch in the chops.

And, pvan...Roll Tide.

9. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    thatcher is a psycho, he has done this stuff 8 or 9 times, its only a matter of time before he does a player some serious damage, if you connect with someones temple with that kind of ferocity from you elbow YOU CAN KILL SOMEONE. He should be banned from football, and his manager should be removed by the games authorities, he gave the orders, he trained the player, if they player goes around assualting people like that, the manager is as responsble as the player, perhaps more so. In any other kind of business if staff broke the law to that extent the manager of the firm would be held partly to blame.

10. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A red car for thatcher and for the Ref or not givinging it, I have read since he has been demoted back to the championship, and rightly so.

Thatcher also deserves a lenghty ban

11. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    Dermot Gallagher the ref at the time lives where i live, i have seen him a couple of times next time i see him, i'm gonna give him some words to acknowledge!! I'm not suprised he ent been banned yet. If that is true that Thatcher has moved to championship which club?

12. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

No the Ref has been demoted to the championship :)

13. Fratton Fred

Fratton Fred New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    At the Bar
    I think Sunderland are after him. Thatcher and Keane, nice:rolleyes:

14. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Erm...you're forgetting that he is under Stuart Pearce whose nickname was "Psycho" for his tackles.

Not sure if Keane would make him any worse.

15. Fratton Fred

Fratton Fred New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    At the Bar
    Stuart Pearce was a hard bastard, but i don't recall him ever going out to break someones leg, or even elbow them in the jaw.

There is a huge difference between a hard crunching tackle and out and out thuggery.

16. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    I think Keane would be good for him. We can all see that Thatcher has mastered the intentional elbow to the head, but I think Keane could really help Thatcher progress by teaching Thatcher how to intentionally injure someone by going studs up to the knee.