Red Bulls plan to buy 3rd DP spot

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tk421, Apr 15, 2010.

1. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...en-deal-done-rodgers-deal-alive-and-more.html

Not shocking but there it is.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I put my money on RBNY to be the first MLS team to start a match with no players born in America.

In their last game they had 4, and they didn't start Tchani, Borman, Salou, Boyens, etc. They're signing a Danish winger........and it looks like two more DP's.

Maybe, just maybe, Tim Ream and Mike Petke can hang in there.

3. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just win baby.

4. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Of course, in the US Open Cup this won't be possible...

What's the rule for that? Every team has to field...6 US players? I forget...

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I have no problem with it at all.

Continued increases in the salary cap and added DP's will inevitably lead to a purge of the "middle class" American player. Just so we all understand that's going to happen............... Plus, when the other teams lose their players for the World Cup. RBNY won't have to worry about it. On their starting XI, how many USMNT caps are there combined? Two for Petke I think is it. That must be the lowest in the league by far. If Albright was ever healthy and starting, he'd add to that number..........but I'm not sure Albright's too long for their roster. With all of the rumored players coming in, somebody's got to go.

Of the rumored players......if I was a RBNY fan..........I'd want Vieira. I think he could actually help more than Henry..........since they already have JPA. (and Kandji coming on strong).

6. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This season has a lot of promise.

7. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kandji is an enigma, and he has been for some time with this club. In terms of talent and potential, he's got all the physical tools to be a gifted striker in this league. Between the ears however is a poor football IQ, and a decision making tendency to run at multiple defenders, leading to counter attacks for the other club. Salou is here for a reason, and I think Mac will be sold sooner rather than later. Especially if Titi is NY bound.

8. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if NY will be the first team to pay DP money for a goalie or defender?

9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that, through allocation money, RB might be able to pay down the cumulative hit on its cap this season. But I do look forward - if this happens - to seeing how the club puts together a solid roster with three players taking up nearly half of the cap space.

10. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hate that... and it is more fustrating when he run into 3 defenders and Angel being there alone doesn't receive a damn assist from him. He prefers to give tha ball to the defenders than crossing the ball to the other available man.

11. chitownfire

chitownfire New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not "might", they will. Why wouldn't they pay down their cap hit? They have allocation money up the wazoo so to say "might" is wrong because they "will" and since their 3 DP's will only cost them 450,000 total on their cap I don't see the "challenge" in fielding a competitive roster.

12. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also pressure from below with improved youth development.

13. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Players != players born in america

Anyone who is a US citizen or green-card holder counts.

14. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    How long does the cap buy down last. Do you have to buy it down every year?

And what about the 250K luxury tax? Do you have to pay it every year?

15. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the allocation buy down must be done every year. I believe the 250k tax is a yearly charge.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think you can do it as long as you don't have Alexi Lalas as your general manager.

It's especially helpful to have somebody who can evaluate young talent, and draft right. Remember also that they have some GenAd players that don't count against the cap right now (Tony Tchani, Jeremy Hall, etc.) The more young/cheap talent an organization can acquire that can actually contribute.......the more likely they are to be able to spend top dollar on their stars/DPs.

Start spending a chunk of your cap cash on a DP dud, though, and you're in big trouble.

17. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I agree. But simply add that you could just as easily spend non-DP 300-400K on a dud.

No matter what, there will be some hits and some misses. But teams should still be allowed to spend to improve quality. We have to improve quality, and some owners simply dont want to spend. Answer: 3 DPs rule.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Because it seemed to me it was a one-time charge.

19. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Yes, I asked this when it first came to light, and I believe the 250k is a one-time charge. Not yearly.

20. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would shock me that it is a one time charge. It was described as a Luxury tax and in other sports that have Luxury tax, they are paid on a yearly basis. Its a joke if its a one off payment.

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine, and perhaps you have more info than I do on how much allocation cash RB has lying around. But you do understand, right, that the buy-down has to to happen each and every year? The Crew paid Schelotto $1 million his first year here, but bought down most of that number so that his cap hit was below league max. When the allocation cash ran out after the 2008 season, they needed to make him a DP.

Point being, if you cash in all your allocation chits in year one, you're very likely ********ed in year two.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's in between. It's not every year, I'm pretty sure of that. But it's not forever either. The longest contract you can have with a player older than (I think) 27, according to the FIFA regs, is 2 years.

But you bring up a good point...how often do they have to re-pay the tax?

23. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also read that it was a one-time charge. I think Goff, maybe? I'll try to find the link.

24. chitownfire

chitownfire New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True true. I noticed in one of the articles Hans Backe said that they plan on winning the MLS Cup next year. So I'm thinking they're going to get these guys this season for only half a season so the cap hit is only half, so they won't need to spend any allocation to buy down the cap hit. Next season they'll use the allocation money that they have to buy down the cap hit since they'll be having these guys all year. So having 3 DP's and fielding a good roster won't be that challenging (for the next year and a half that is).

I'm not sure exactly how much allocation RBNY has but I do know that they have a VERY large sum of it available.

25. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I think it is a one-time charge per player. Let's just say that RBNY brings in Henry with their 3rd DP. They have to pay 250k to the league. Now in 2 years JPA retires (or is no longer a DP) and they want a new DP to replace him but already have 2 DPs. They are charged 250k to aquire the new 3rd DP player. At least that is the way I understood it.