Red Bulls II (USL) / Red Bulls U-23 (PDL)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Woodrow, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Maybe it's time to start a new thread dedicated to all things related to the reserves? The word has already gone out for prospective trialists to apply for an invitation to the USL team's preseason camp.

There's an open question whether some of the recent cuts from the 1st team may be invited to join the USL side. For those cuts, they will have to earn a future first team contract just like everyone else, but for now they are free agents.

Would Dan Metzger deign to join the club he dissed as a reserve player? That would be quite a step down, but his pro prospects are much dimmer now than they were a couple of months ago.

Here's an interesting article about some of the MLS camp invites who may get shifted to the second team.

Bradenton Roster Filled With New Potential NYRB II ...

kokoplus10 repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tickets will go on-sale to the general public on Thursday, March 5 @ 10:00AM.

special opportunity involving our new USL team, New York Red Bulls II. In case you hadn’t heard, New York Red Bulls II was recently announced as a new franchise in the USL and we believe this will be the next step in developing and integrating success from all levels of the organization.

New York Red Bulls II will begin play with their first five home matches at Red Bull Arena in addition to 2 double-headers following the first team’s match dates. We are finalizing the venue where New York Red Bulls II will play the remaining seven (7) home matches. More information will be released at a later date.

You are also receiving the first opportunity to purchase the first five (5) New York Red Bulls II stand-alone matches at Red Bull Arena for only $40 total ($35 for Supporters seats)! This opportunity begins Tuesday, March 3 at 10:00AM and can only be purchased by contacting Matthew Eitzen at 973-776-8966 or via e-mail at Matthew.Eitzen@newyorkredbulls.com

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woodrow repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congrats to the very first player signed to a NYRBII contract:

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news...ms-talks-influences-rbny-academy-us-u-17-team

It’s been a huge year for Adams. Last summer, while enrolled in U.S. Soccer’s Under-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla., he was selected for U-17 training camp and earned a spot on the U-17 team under coach Richie Williams, another former Red Bulls player. On Sunday, the team qualified for the Under-17 World Cup but not without a scare. Following a scoreless tie in a playoff against Jamaica, the Americans prevailed 5-4 on penalty kicks to earn the final CONCACAF berth and claim a place in the 24-team field that will compete for the title in Chile in October.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news...bulls-ii-announce-roster-ahead-inaugural-game

• Goalkeepers (2): Santiago Castano* (24), Rafael Diaz (74)
    • Defenders (3): Tyler Adams, Marcello Borges** (39), Michael da Fonte (44)
    • Midfielders (12): Franklin Castellanos (77), Alexander Clay 56), Derrick Etienne** (36), Colin Heffron (51), Victor Manosalvas (70), Dan Metzger, Marius Obekop* (21), Konrad Plewa (41), Manolo Sanchez* (17), Leo Stolz* (19), James Thomas (33), Kyle Zajec** (38)
    • Forwards (3): Ethan Lochner** (43), Juan Sebastian Sanchez** (37), Chris Tsonis (45)

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Just as a suspected, Dan Metzger slinks back into the fold.

I think a 12 mids to 3 defenders ratio is a little troubling. I can only hope there is a plan, like certain players are going to be tried out as converted defenders. Or the D will leak a lot of goals this season.

there are currently just 5 MLS loanees. If this is the case it certainly does put the emphasis on a core of 2nd team players who stay with the squad. Still the emphasis should be for those MLS guys to come in and dominate as it is the best way to get into MLS matches. There's also the same number of Academy players, plus Adams, so the kids are going to get some experience, too.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course I had completely missed that...you are good! We need to pay you more money!
    M

10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm. No defenders. Where have I seen this before...?

11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Clearly they are trying to replicate the first team as closely as possible.:confused:

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 tie vs. Rochester. Not great but not a bad start.

No defenders? No problem! #cleansheet

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    One of the few defenders (Plewa) goes off hurt, but his (Heffron) replacement slides over from the outside and acquits himself well and the sub who came on did a good job at left back, too. Rochester dominated the opening half, but it was NY who drew what I thought was a soft penalty, then Stolz had saved. He's got a cultured left foot, but he'll have to do better with his chances. All in all, it wasn't a bad game. It was uneven, but that is minor league soccer. Obekop, Stolz and Castano looked good, but that's to be expected. Heffron was a pleasant surprised when he moved into the middle. The rest looked pretty raw.

14. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm OK with that. Our U20 goalie got to play an entire professional game and 4/5 academy guys got game experience. We're putting high schoolers on the field against the Rochester Rhinos; looking pretty raw but coming away with a draw in the first game, that's just fine.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=40577

kokoplus10 repped this.
  15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. All that matters is the youngsters getting games. Finding a hidden gem in the form of an older USL player is simply a bonus.

So for this team I hope they continue to focus on technique and tactics. A lot of these kids won't have quite grown into their bodies yet so I hope Woly and the entire staff emphasize QUALITY of play over the actual results.

16. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I agree, too. I'm more responding to some of the fans who were there and getting worked up over the sloppy play. I'll take the sloppy play so long as I get to see some brilliance, too. They need to work on that.

Etienne in particular had several rough moments early in his sub appearance, but again settled in after a while. He played more as a 2nd striker in the hole/whole. Knowing this, he needs support and he needs to be more careful with the ball. That was a common thread for the Red Bulls. Too many of the players, especially the young ones need to learn they will have less time on the ball and creating space to maneuver is a must have skill for every professional.

Zamphyr repped this.
  17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats the beauty of the USL affiliation. Finally our players can learn this lesson sooner in their careers.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.empireofsoccer.com/baptiste-highlight-player-33567/

Here is the full loanee release:
    Goalkeepers (2): Santiago Castano, Kyle Reynish
    Defenders (4): Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Connor Lade, Shawn McLaws, Karl Ouimette
    Midfielders (4): Sean Davis, Marius Obekop, Manolo Sanchez, Leo Stolz
    Forwards (1): Anatole Abang

20. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. #NYRBII Subs: Diaz, Jean-Baptiste, Metzger, Adams, Manosalvas, Etienne, Tsonis

#NYRBII Starting XI vs. @TorontoFCII: Reynish, McLaws, da Fonte, Ouimette, Heffron, Lade, Davis, Stolz, Sanchez, Abang, Obekop

23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Good game today resulting in a 4-1 win, with goals from Abang, Obekop, McLaws and Stolz. Etienne helped set up a couple of the goals and rung a shot off the crossbar.

There was a lot of open play with attacking thrusts form both teams and TFC seemed to have the edge in possession, but NY was ultimately more lethal in finishing opportunities.

Zamphyr repped this.
  24. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I generally dislike the ownership and front office moves, I really like what they're doing with RB2.
    • Free tickets to season ticket holder to boost attendance
    • Player meet and greet
    • Signing Tyler Adams
    • Using Academy players
    • Match live streamed online - available in full later
    • Heavy loan of first team players when they have an off week
    That second half midfield is exactly what we were wondering pre-MLS draft - do they sign Metzger? Davis ? Draft someone? Where do they all fit ?
    Question answered :)

Kudos to the fans who made it out. It must be something to take your kid to one of these games and be able to point to the field and say "He's only a few years older than you"

kokoplus10 repped this.
  25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #25 Woodrow, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    It was a fun crowd and helped answer the question about whether folks would come out to see the 2nd team. I estimate there was about 1K at the game. I also had someone in JC later on who saw my Red Bulls warm up ask me if I had been to the game. People are aware.

Davis looks like a really good player with a first team future. I also think the cub will sign Etienne to a pro contract by mid-summer. An alternative will be to let him play his first fall season at UVA and then sign him to an MLS contract for next year so that he can start with the preseason camp. With the 20 or so D3 pro games he could potentially play this summer plus a fall season of D1 college soccer, he would have the equivalent of a 30+ game season, which would be an excellent prep for him to step up to MLS next year. He's still young, but he improved a great deal from his first game to the 2nd.

P.S. The question has been floated, why not sign Olasunde, too? It is possible that he doesn't want to sign yet. He may have ambitions of going to college or going abroad, or he may just want to take some time to consider his options. It is also possible, for the sake of argument, that Adams was seen as a better prospect for the Red Bulls. He's smart and versatile, literally hitting the ground running. Coming on as a sub for the injured Lade, he didn't seem to miss a beat, looking comfortable and combining well with teammates. If Olasunde is at least as good, the Red Bulls should push to sign him, too.