Red Bulls Hire Performance Analyst

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tk421, Mar 1, 2011.

1. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this in browsing...didnt see it posted anywhere so thought I would pass it on.

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~2304968,00.html

2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Performance analyst? Does that mean he becomes the one responsible for compiling team stats during the season? Stats can reveal a lot as far as on field performance is concerned. If it's that type of job i take it he would also be in charge of breaking down the film for the team and making highlights for prep?

Or does the title mean he is an assistant coach with stroke? I can just imagine it "Hey Hans that guy has really been stinking it up lately--might want to think about booting him off the team.".

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah, color me puzzled by this one. Why go to Exeter City to get a guy like this? I'm sure there are plenty of good professionals here in this country who could do the job.

4. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am guessing they are trying to go with those people they know the best and they probably have better contacts in Europe than in the U.S. right now. I ams sure that will slowly change if they stay here for a while.

5. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, I don't think there are "plenty of good professionals here in this country" who have extensive professional experience watching soccer film. Maybe that's just me.

This shouldn't really concern us. We're looking a little too deep into a new hire that may not have any dramatic effect.

6. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The guy has a friggin master's degree in Performance Analysis lol, somehow I don't think many American universities even offer such a degree (unless they do and I'm wrong). He definitely won't be responsible for straight up statistics, probably more along the lines of scouting upcoming teams and reviewing our own games' film to give Hans some pointers that he may have missed in live time.

7. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just glad they are hiring Performance Analysts and not Performance Artists.

Remember the silly march of the Bull fans in downtown NYC?

8. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn it i cant find the youtube video of this!!!! One the biggest fails ever in Red Bull advertising history!!The best was when they would "freeze in place" for a minute or two and look stupid doing so.

9. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Most often sports studies programs are housed in depts of kinesiology. He might blend motion analysis with sport psychology; really depends on his specialization. Performance studies (jim digs up that memory I keep trying to repress) tends to deal with avant-garde theatre or art events. I think the sport here can benefit from more input from both disciplines while each field would be enriched by dialogue.