Red Bulls fire Mike Petke overnight

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Jan 7, 2015.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first rumors started hitting the internet at around 11:40 or midnight--confirmed by press.

http://www.metro.us/new-york/source...e-petke-fired-by-team/zsJoag---qi0VbAN2haA5g/

simply stunned by this move....Petke in his second year was still trying to find himself a little--it was an inconsistent regular season, but the team overachieved during the playoffs. Motivation is a coach's responsibility and i thought there was a lot of it. For goodness's sake they came within one game of MLS Cup. Maybe Petke would have never developed into the next Sigi Schmid or Bruce Arena but the thing is that now we will never know. They nipped something here right in the bud--something that could have been potentially very good. One gets the feeling there is something here that we are not being told--perhaps a disagreement with Austria over the direction the club is taking? Or maybe Curtis flexing his muscle and cleaning house on his watch?

One thing is certain--next season is getting ready to be flushed down the toilet. If they fired Petke to replace him with some BS Euro coach it will really tick me off..... This organization--one step forward, two steps back.

Thanks Mike for everything you did during your brief time at the helm. I hope some other team will appreciate you more.....

henryo repped this.
  2. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
  3. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Red Bull wanted to run the team on the cheap and Petke was pushing for the team to spend on DP's? The reasons/motives behind the firing are a mystery right now, but I suspect the truth about this situation will come out over the next several days...

4. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    The truth....THE TRUTH.... You want to here the truth.... RBNY Honchos are a bunch of S.T.U.P.I.D. And under they watch this team never, ever will have his day, not until change hands and send this ********aroos home......

5. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Honestly, they never wanted him to begin with. Roxburgh had to push them to hire him after every international candidate fell through in 2013, and even after winning the Supporter's Shield he was still on the hot seat only a few months into the 2014 season.

You always had the sense that they'd push him out the door as soon as he gave them reason to, but so far he hasn't done that, not even close... I just can't even make sense of this, I'm about as blindly optimistic as you can be when it comes to this club but every time you think they are starting to "get it", they blow everything up and start from scratch.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F#ck this team.

Anyone else want to join me in supporting NYCFC?

dark knight and Doctor Woo repped this.
  7. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    Interesting to note that Gio Savarese just got a new contract with the New York Cosmos rather than accepting an offer to move up to MLS with the head coaching position at the Houston Dynamo. Personally, I if I were Gio, I would have grabbed the Houston job in a heartbeat. Houston is a team that is known for keeping a head coach around for many, many years. Very stable franchise. Very stable approach to long-term coaching.

But now I'm wondering if Gio knows something we don't know.

Is the Petke firing and Gio re-signing with the Cosmos a clue that the rumors of the Cosmos purchase and takeover of the New York Red Bulls franchise might be imminent?

Is Gio positioning himself to be the New York Cosmos first head coach in MLS when that organization buys Red Bull Arena and the team?

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They just lost me. This is a stupid, stupid move.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of floored by this Sacking, I thought Petke handled the pressure of being the coach for ya'll very well. Hell, did something no other coach for this team has be able to do... Win a trophy. Good Luck finding a new coach and good luck next year.

10. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was one of Petke's biggest critics and never approved of the hiring in the first place but this firing is just bizarre.. He's had tons of success so far and he was starting to build a certain style of play for the team(not the most attractive but got the job done).

This Curtis guy sounds like a retard. It's very difficult defending this organization..

11. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't think Red Bull understands how many people will actually jump because of this. The sudden firing of a club legend and the team's most successful coach is even worse than LampardGate

kokoplus10 repped this.
  12. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Sources: Jesse Marsch new Red Bulls coach

Look, I like Marsch a lot, he's a young, intelligent, defensive minded coach who knows MLS through and through. I was really pulling for him to take over for Fraser. But Marsch is NOT enough of a slam dunk to justify letting Petke go, not even close.

The more you think about this the more you have to think this decision goes beyond Petke's coaching ability. Maybe he started to kick up too much dust with his higher ups after they closed their checkbooks?

kokoplus10 and Woodrow repped this.
  13. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Red Bull is an outright DISASTER.

major major disappointment

kokoplus10 repped this.
  14. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Looking at the Twitter feed, this news is all negative. If the goal is to sell, Red Bull management are ruining the value of a perfectly good asset.

15. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    #16 RedBullFootball, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    We just hired Jesse Marsch. A guy that was 12-16-6 as head coach a couple years ago. He might be some bright young coach like you suggest, but that hasn't been proven out.

HAS to be some bad blood somewhere. There is no other explanation.

Real disappointing. No Theirry, No Olave, Cahill up in the air and now the face and personality of the club (yeah we finally had a little personality beyond being perenial losers) is gone.

Inexperienced coach, many new players (many yet to be named), no core, no personality and an owner looking to spend much less on the team. We are basically an expansion team playing in a nice stadium.

We have morphed from a club thats one goal away from the MLS Cup to the Philadelphia Union over night.

16. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an unbiased observer, this doesn't make any sense to me at all.

What am I missing here?

Woodrow repped this.
  17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull just doesn't "get it" and they have shown that uncanny ability to NOT connect with the fans for a long time now. How the heck are you going to blow up the team in the year when your cross town rival sets up shop? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever--

"hey i heard the yankees and citeh just bought a team across the river!"
    "Awesome, lets keep the fans around by becoming a garbage team that will be totally irrelevant and not compete for any trophies in MLS...."

Huh??:confused:o_O:thumbsdown:

18. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We're honestly clueless at the moment, there's currently a conference call with Ali Curtis, the new Sporting Director, but somehow I doubt we'll get anything from it other than corporate speak. Theories are ranging from Petke having too many dust ups with ownership through 2014 to Red Bull getting ready to pack up and sell.

Right now, from our point of view it just looks like they let go of a fan favorite for a guy with an almost identical resume, the sort of unnecessary knee-jerk move that is sadly emblematic of Red Bull's ownership, and the sort of mistake that we thought they maybe, just maybe were beginning to learn from.

TX Bill repped this.
  19. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    What this move confirmed for me is that its over. Any chance of building something real here is now just a mirage.

We'll all get out there and watch some soccer. We'll chant, clap or sing or whatever. We'll suspend disbelief. In the end though, deep down, we'll know this isn't the real deal. This is just a shell. There is No heart. No soul.

Sell the team and we can start over. Until then, whatever.

dark knight, superdave and Woodrow repped this.
  20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 tigersoccer2005, Jan 7, 2015
    So that makes only 3 good MetroBulls coaches in my estimation--- OZ, Backe (winningest regular season record) and Petke (semi finals, and Supporter's Shield). Of course they made the final and lost under Osorio but his terrific (some would say infamous) meltdown the following year makes him ineligible to be on the list of best coaches in this club's history.

Honorable mention to Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena, both of who were not permitted to be around long enough to make a difference, but whose coaching elsewhere vindicated them many times over.

KTown222 and Dyvel repped this.
  21. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    #22 RedBullFootball, Jan 7, 2015
    Backe and Osorio? Wow.

Hans was totally underwehlming, wasn't he? Did he ever challenge for the SS with this Winningest regular season record? Wasnt his defences horrific? Didnt he get bounced in first round of playoffs each year? Didnt he puss out in the snow playoff match vs DC? Can't think of a more mediocre coach. Backe embodies the term.

And Osorio? Wasn't Osorio's Final run off a pretty terrible regular season and was only there because the playoffs were so easy to make? I would say he was our worst coach since I have been watching this team. Scribbling sh!t in that little notepad. Reminded me a lot of Rich Kotite. A loser.

This says list say A LOT about this team.

LOVED Bruce and Bob was decent. Petke beats out Bruce as my favorite.

Doctor Woo repped this.
  22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not spending one more dime on this organization. Always one step forward 5 steps back.

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think something that's getting lost here is this:

How gutted must Petke feel right now.

He BLED for this club. He posted back to back playoff seasons, won the FIRST AND ONLY trophy in this team's history, managed winning expectations, managed big egos, made sweeping tactical changes when needed, the players respected him and played HARD for him, the fans loved him, and he even managed to get some PT for the youngsters!

How many other MLS coaches in just their first 2 years have done all that???

Mike we love you and this is BULLSHIT.

RedBullFootball and Woodrow repped this.
  24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Step forward or step back?

Taylor Twellman ‏@TaylorTwellman 4m4 minutes ago
    Multiple sources tell me Jozy Altidore and @MLS are in discussions about his return this winter with 3 teams applying. #TFC #RBNY #POR

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

kokoplus10 repped this.