Red Bull wants NHL Team in Quebec City

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Mattbro, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I figured this might be of interest to you guys, being that it concerns your sugar daddy:

http://www.sport1.at/coremedia/generator/id=3419178.html

Article is in German - states that Mateschitz wants to establish an NHL team in Quebec City. It won't be this year because "the budget for this year is exhausted." But he is planning a team "in the future." As I'm sure you know, he already owns the hockey team in Salzburg.

As a former Nordiques fan, I guess I would welcome this. If the Nordiques still existed and he were taking them over and changing their name and colors, that would be a different matter. But the good people of Quebec City deserve an NHL team in my opinion.

2. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the NHL is more "establishment" than MLS, I wonder what the media would think of a corporate name there: Quebec Red Bulls (or Taureaus Rouges de Quebec).

Although I cheer for the defending Stanley Cup champs casually, it's sad that communities that could care less save when they win have teams more than communities that do just cause of an exchange rate.

3. HoosierFire

HoosierFire New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Indiana
    I think it could work since it would be starting a new team and not modifying an existing one. Fans in Quebec City would definitely be on board.

As for the perception in the US - I would think it would do great in merchandise sales. It might cause a ripple for a short time in the media, but it would be soon forgotten.

People who complain about the corporate sponsorship are the same people tuning into NASCAR every week to watch the Dupont 24, Lowe's 48, etc.

4. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Brilliant, it has an immediate intense rivalry with Montreal.
    It would be the first time the NHL returns to a former home
    of a WHA franchise (long abandoned, like Winnipeg and Hartford).

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Good for them, there should be more Canadian teams.

6. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I don't see how Quebec City can financially support an NHL club even with the new salary cap in place. Not many people live there, even though they are fanatical about hockey.

7. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    That would be awesome hockey has not been the same without a team in Quebec. Not sure if the ame will go over too well there but I guess they would be happy to have hockey back.

8. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could support a team better than Long Island or Miami though.

The NHL is way over-expanded, so if the league was the right size or got contracted, Quebec shouldn't have a team, but there are current teams that are in worse shape than a potential Quebec would be.

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I haven't followed the NHL since the Nordiques and the Whalers ceased to exist, but Quebec isn't much smaller than Ottawa or even Edmonton for that matter. I believe the Quebec Metro area has about 800,000 people, and they are all rabid hockey fans. Seems to me like the better question is where they are going to play. Even back in the Marcel Aubut days, Le Colisée was deemed to be substandard, and I can't imagine the situation has gotten better within the past 11 years.

Another thing I've been wondering about is the exchange rate. There was a time when it was said the weakness of the Canadian dollar was wreaking havoc on its hockey teams, but the exchange rate is now much more favorable than it used to be from a Canadian perspective. Has that leveled the playing field any in the NHL?

As far as the name goes, "Taureaus Rouges de Quebec" would be pretty cool, but I think it's unlikely Mateschitz would forego the English name, as this is more about making inroads into the North American market than the French Canadian market.

Edit: According to this link, Quebec is indeed quite a bit smaller than Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton:

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/demo05a.htm

10. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York

what, the league that brought you the Mighty Ducks?

Quebec, great city and deserves a team

11. vyertago

vyertago Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Didnt even cross my mind until you mentioned it, but you are so right. i guess we might be seeing a Quebec Redbulls in the future.

12. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would need to move a FLA team or Pitt Anaheim one of the struggling teams. NHL does not need more teams. It would be nice to see them get a team

13. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The comissioner of the NHL said that there will be no expansion for quite some time so they would need to move an already existing team.

14. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that the NHL has too many teams, it would have to be a move from an existing city, hopefully not Pittsburg.
    Very interesting.