Red Bull v Barcelona???

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by OriginalAEK, Apr 12, 2006.

1. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
  2. meola2006 redded

meola2006 redded Red Card

Apr 7, 2006
  3. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    It's actually todays article

4. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Well, it would be great to see Barca play (through all the Champ Tour and and such they never made a stop in the NYC area), but I hate these matches against MLS teams. Sure, they sound great ahead of time, but then come close to the day of the match and we'll have this meaningless match in the middle of our schedule and we'll want to rest players for the games that matter. If it were pre-season or something, fine, but not in the middle of our season. I never had a problem with the big name visiting teams playing each other. Let them. But I don't want to loose a match to Colorado cuz our players were worn out by going up againt Barca.

5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The problem is that without this your players don't get the experience of playing against a very high level opponent. It is a good learning experience for players (especially young ones) to get that sort of oppurtunity. It surely won't happen during the MLS pre-season because the top european teams have a far denser scheduele than our american teams do (figure Barca would have La Liga, Champions League, and a Spanish Cup run during our pre-season). So yes, it does pose problems in that you're players may be tired but look on the bright side, you are only playing colorado in the game after that so it shouldn't be too hard :D

6. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    But the reason they won't do it durring our pre-season is the same reason we shouldn't do it durring theirs. Its not like if Barca are out of the CL and Spanish Cups early they may give us a friendly. They don't schedule meaningless matches in between ones that matter. We should be doing the same. We want to play against better opponents? Qualify for one of the tournaments (like FIFA Club Championship or something) and play teams in them.

7. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    Come on now, people. That Bayern Munich game was a blast! I'm looking forward to the Barcelona game, and there's plenty of down time on each side of the game for our guys to rest. Why deny them the opportunity?

They'd better bring Ronaldhino!

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    That's great news. More publicity for the team.

The old regime (Charlie, Nick) was only interested in bringing Colombian teams over so that the fans could chant "Co-looom-bee-a" during the entire Metros game, making it the undercard.

9. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    When was the last time we played a Colombian team in a friendly? And isn't Ecuador-Colombia scheduled for next May as a doubleheader? The more things change......the more they stay the same.

10. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited about this game...let's hope MLS allows us to stack our squad beforehand.....could be U-G-L-Y.

11. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Oh man. What to do: attend high school reunion or watch RB beat Barca? :confused:

12. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Red Bull, you didn't really like those people anyway (did you?)

See you at the game.

13. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    any idea when tickets are going on sale?

14. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season ticket holders should get this game for free I believe. I remember when the Metro played the national team of China a few years back, we got it for free. Hopefully Red Bull kept the same policy intact.

15. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is great news, at least one MLS team gets to play Barcelona, hopefully the game will be televised (doubtful).

I am sure Red Bull management recognize the opportunity they have to showcase the team, hopefully getting some of those "internationals players on [RBNY] radar".

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Would have expected Barca to at least play the Galaxy in LA. And Houston has a new MLS team, makes perfect sense for Barca to play them as well.

17. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but the question remains, which team is more massive, Barcelona, or RB?
    Look forward to this game....

18. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Prediction (Based on absolutely no proof whatsoever and only my gut instinct):

RBNY will sign a major star (probably Ronaldo) just prior to the friendly vs. Barcelona during the August transfer window and use the match to showcase the improved RBNY squad in the leadup to the playoffs.

You read it here first.

20. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I agree, this would be perfect time to do so.

21. locolos

locolos New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    New York
    Didn't you hear that from some Colombian in the bus down to DC? ;)

22. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    And notice that you must purchase at least a partial season ticket package along with this.

Please Note: Chivas USA, Houston Dynamo and New York Red Bulls season ticket holders will be offered a separate, exclusive window and DO NOT need to register online.

23. nkycrew

nkycrew Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Northern Kentucky
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about a RBNY/RBSalzburg game? May be a conflict of interest for the management though.

24. EntityPacket

EntityPacket Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Must be nice being able to go see these games in person… The closest MLS team is about an 8 hour drive for me. I was thinking about making the drive to see Barcelona in Houston, but they arn't even playing an MLS team there...