Red Bull set to play Bayern Munich

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by okcomputer, May 12, 2006.

1. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland
    MLS should dis-allow this friendly. Red Bull is terrible. Bayern is good. This will be an embarrassment.

2. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    You're right. MLS should indeed turn down the chance to get fans to come out to the meadowlands for a change.

Wow.

3. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I can't stand about these (MLS) forums is how everyone takes international friendlies so seriously. Holding them won't elevate the status of soccer in this country, and the results aren't indicative of what the quality of MLS teams are. If Red Bull got beat, say 8-0, a few people in Europe will have a laugh but it'll be forgotten the next minute. Same thing if Red Bull (somehow) wins 8-0 also.

4. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Who are the Red Bull?

5. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A practice squad that plays at RFK north.

6. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Why the ******** would anyone here in the States care what people in Europe think about a soccer game? You're obviously not intelligent.

Let me rephrase that.

You're an idiot.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Let's see : Bayern will be missing Kahn, Sagnol, Lucio, Lahm, Lizarazu (?), Ze Roberto, Schweinsteiger, Karimi, Roque Santa Cruz, and Hargreaves.

Ballack is no longer a Bayern player anyway.

Red Bull can win this, if Bayern decides to mail it in. Edson Buddle better hustle his behind off ... scouts will be watching.

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As shown by the way the '02 team was picked clean shortly after dismantling the Champions League winning Bayern side.

Meaningless waste of time on both sides.

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    cheap tickets... a nice attempt to win fans... seriously people.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Misbegotten win-fans-by-bringing-a-big-name-in strategy that's been tried over and over again, going back to the Charlie days. Some people argue that all the old Metro FOs did was bring in Colombian/Ecuadorean teams with limited appeal, but they're forgetting that we've also had the Milans and the Bocas and yes, the Bayerns drop by for a game - legitimate top-level teams.

It is nothing new, and it simply does not work.

If only they spent the half million dollars or whatever it'll cost to bring Bayern here, on publicizing THIS team in THIS league instead, maybe they'd get somewhere. Hell, I've said for years that if they just spent the appearance fee money on subsidizing free parking for everyone for a big summer game in the league, and publicized it properly, they'd draw more fans who are likely to return than they will with B-team scrimmages like this.

11. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Check out label D. And also remember that in 2005 DC United played Pumas in the CCC and Universdad de Catolica in the Copa de Sudamerica.

12. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah, red bulls does not play in a baseball stadium but in a football one

and a chance for me to watch RB and the likes of Pizarro and Guerrero, who were born in the same country as i....cool stuff...

13. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I was trying to forget.

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    So many people make these 5-0.. 7-0, etc. predictions for these "MLS Team vs Some Euro Power and they never end up that way.. Remember, it's preseason the the EURO teams for one thing..
    MLS even has a winning record vs English teams if you remember..DC has only lost once and that was to Chelsea and that sure wasn't a blowout by any stretch.. Chicago did a great job against Milan...
    They end up being entertaining and usually competitive matches..

My prediction... BM 11 Red Bull 1...:)

15. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland
    So at best, it seems nobody cares. At worst, it will be an embarrassment. In between - Bayern only brings its second team and they may as well not have had the match altogether.

I just don't see the advantage MLS has in scheduling these friendlies - particularly when the MLS team involved is complete dreck.

16. TriaktivTLE00

TriaktivTLE00 Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    First Barca, now FC Bayern Munich?! FC Hollywood?! Die Bayern?! Oh my Guinness! One adidas-clad side going against another adidas-clad side, that might be super!

Football v. Fussball

17. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Why does MLS put a sucky team like the Red bulls agains Barcelona and Bayer Munich?

are red bulls more special then the other MLS teams?

I guess if the want a circus you have to send in the clowns of the MLS.

18. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    If you think MLS is arranging these games, your brain is largely a mass of rotting sponge.

19. Darrell

Darrell New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    who cares if red bull wins or not. it's revenue for a league that needs all it can get.

20. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's revenue for Bayern Munich, mainly.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I hope Gerd Müller plays. He's 60 and coaching Bayern's youth team ... should still be able to pull a hat-trick.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Basically, the Austrians and the Germans are scheming together again. That's all this is.

But yea, gotta love those 12 noon Saturday games.

23. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Isn't it obvious?

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Everybody's so cynical on BS. I can't wait for the World Cup so we can all enjoy the beauty of the game.