Red Bull Away Trip - A thank you

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by DickyDunn, Oct 21, 2011.

1. DickyDunn

DickyDunn Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's nearly impossible to thank everyone who was involved in putting together Thursday's trip up to the bedpan. Sure the result wasn't what we wanted, but hey, the playoffs start soon.

This is a preemptive post, admittedly.

I wanted to put this out there before the shower of shite comes raining down on our fantastic volunteers who dedicated hours of their free time to organize the trip.

Ever try to host a dinner for eight people? Multiply that by 100 and that's the task tackled by our people.

Now imagine you have to throw all of those folks on buses and drive their asses 90 miles and set up once you get there.

By the way, they're wasted out of their minds.

That's what these good people, who have real jobs, real lives outside of this team and this club do.

Before anyone decides to run their manpleasers to drop a complaint, consider that. Come the end of the night, we had ten people help make the final cleanup happen.

Ten out of 800.

Oh, and some of us had to clean at least one after one group decided utilizing a trash bag was beneath them.

Thank you to all those who made the trip happen - made this season happen - and those who bring it for 90 minutes and the countless hours beforehand each and every match.

2. j ladai

j ladai Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    this truly can't be said enough.

My mind was thoroughly boggled by the amount of people you all had to corral.

again, thank you.

3. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Great trip. Thank you.

4. Mike FC

Mike FC New Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the volunteers did a great job! Food was great. I had a great time! Thanks for all of your hard work!

5. OutlawJW

OutlawJW Member

Jun 8, 2010
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to all who made this trip possible, it was an overall enjoyable experience. Despite the result, it was a blast supporting our boys loud and proud throughout the match. Even security guy next to me said he would rather work at PPL if this is how the fans are all the time there. Doop!

6. RMcGovern

RMcGovern New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I have to say as well, despite the outcome, the trip was fantastic, and I can't thak everyone who set it up and helped execute it enough.

7. TerrierFC

TerrierFC New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on all counts. The whole thing was a blast, and I can't imagine all the work and effort that went into planning it all. Just awesome all the way around.

8. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great trip despite the result. I came from 6 hours away and wasn't disappointed.

9. I agree completely! Fantastic trip and even more wonderful volunteers!

The most impressive thing to me was how well everyone was accounted for on the way back with cell phone calls and such. Pure class in making sure no man (or woman) gets left behind!

10. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know how there could be complaints after that. I can't think of one.

Thanks to all the volunteers. And thanks to the 1200 people who cared enough to make the trip. Let's do it again next year.

11. Tsmitty53071

Tsmitty53071 Member

May 29, 2010
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thanks to all those who volunteered their time:)

12. anarchydude

anarchydude Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done guys, well done! Great road trip to be a part of.

13. daveFC

daveFC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Audubon New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The volunteers involved with this huge undertaking. Did an incredible job. Thanks, I had a blast.

14. ShawnPaul

ShawnPaul Member

Apr 10, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This was my first SoB away trip, and I was amazed how much fun it was and how well everything went. Thank you to everyone who made it possible.

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my first SOB away trip and sure won't be my last. A BIG thanks to all of the volunteers and organizers of an awesome trip and time despite the result. My voice is still recovering!

16. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I put my thank you in the other road trip thread, but I'll say it again here. Thanks guys. I was honored to help hand out scarves during check in, and glad to have been able to load all the tailgate food onto the buses. Sorry I didn't help out in postgame. No voice and a throbbing head usually takes most of the starch out of me! :D

17. Dbird76

May 12, 2009
    Buggytopia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here guys & gals. If the players effort was half of what our volunteers was then we would have won 17-0.
    Next year let's hope this is on a weekend & we will bring 5,000!

18. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Email from my Brooklyn-based friend:

"Game was fun- we actually sat a section or two over from the Philly fans and I give them a lot of credit for making more noise than the rest of the stadium combined."

DOOP, indeed. Nicely done, boys.

19. TjPunx

TjPunx Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Chester County
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next year we should really invade their arena by having a group sit where the sobs were sitting this year. and elsewhere around the arena. we were sitting in 133 right to the right of their supporters group but seperated from them by a divide. if we can get a bunch more union fans there it would be as much fun as 133 has at home when we get away support.

20. Union River End

Union River End New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Old City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was funny how we were worried about people buying tickets through the team pushing us out of our seats. Go figure when went down and sat in the front row and were asked to move by the person who had handed us out our tickets at the checkin booth. Seems like they used their position of power to hand pick front row seats and then push us out of them once we got into the stadium. Not a huge deal ... just something I found to be kinda funny.

21. wscottl

wscottl Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SE PA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we were in the same boat. We had a group of 5 with 'general admission' tickets with various seat locations and had another group of 4 to ask us to move because we were in their seats. How did they get 4 seats together? When we checked in, they just gave us the next ticket in the bundle. By the time we were asked to move, we had to move pretty far up to get 5 together. I wasn't going to say anything until I read the above post.

22. USRoverDE

USRoverDE Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems like poor form, but I guess I'd say this (and I admittedly just sat somewhere at the very end, as I had an extra seat, so waited till the end of the line to come in in case we had anyone lost/wihtout a ticket etc that couldn't get in...)

If they were one of the major volunteers who gave up enjoying their whole day to organize the thing and make it run well, and if they wanted to sit in front, I'd give that to them as a 'thank you' and let them enjoy at leat one part of the day... But from where I sat (up over the stairway), the people I could think of that could use that 'leverage' in good conscience in that way didn't sit down all that much (admittedly I don't who exactly who did what, so my understanding of which people could use that 'leverage' could be way off).

AND if that were the case that those people wanted to do that, (and we as a group felt like thanking them in that way), the seasier thing to do would simply be to have someone leading the march 'reserve' those seats as soon as folks got into the section.

Might not be a bad thing to do going forward... and might increase certain volunteership if that was needed for the roadtrip crew...

23. DickyDunn

DickyDunn Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's all general admission, just like USMNT games.

24. USRoverDE

USRoverDE Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and no.

From every SoB trip I've been on, the rule of thumb has always been, we're GA even though the ticket has a seat number on it. But instead of making a scene, if someone is a [insert word here with varying degree of anger depending on your opinion] "this is my seat, see!" you give it up.

It IS a bit off-putting, if what they are saying is true, which is that some people are getting front row seat tix from the organizers and then playing the, "this is my seat" card, despite trying to make it a GA section.

And, not everyone is on here, or really pays attention (if you met the busses there and got your tix at the stadium, there were no instructions really, no matter how hard those folks might have tried to give any), so not everyone is aware that we try to make it GA. I was near the ticket table for a while at RBNY this time, and every 2nd or 3rd group asked if their tickets were together and if they could stay as a group... Its not a well known thing, sadly, and for trips THAT large, we're always going to have new people.

25. Union River End

Union River End New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Old City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull Away Scarves

We met at the stadium and a bunch of scarves were left behind (reading) I'm told. How do we go about getting our scarves? I heard we would be hearing from SOB brass but have yet to hear anything about how we go about getting them?