Red Bull Arena Thread: Now Open, It's Real and It's Spectacular

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by jamison, Mar 21, 2010.

1. BokenTerp

BokenTerp New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hoboken, NJ
    Well...they have a bunch of kinks to work out

It took forever to get in the place. They don't have enough people checking tickets.

The beer lines literally didn't move. By far the slowest lines for concessions I've seen in my life. No contest. My hunch is that this will be fixed because they're losing money by being so understaffed.

On top of that PATH service leaving the game was pathetic. If they don't get some kind of enhanced schedule worked out with the Port Authority I'm afraid this place will be a white elephant in 5 years.

ZHaving said all that...the stadium itself is spectacular. I don't think there's a bas seat in the house.

2. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I thought it moved surprisingly fast. Got to the platform, train waiting. The station is antiquated and the lines were kind of a mess getting in through the doors, but after that it seemed OK. FWIW there is a plan to renovate the Harrison PATH.

3. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    that was my experience as well, and with future station expansion plans and more to do around the stadium this shouldn't be an issue at all.

4. BokenTerp

BokenTerp New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hoboken, NJ
    That's good to hear. The J Square transfer was the worst. Might give NJ Transit a try next time.

5. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull Arena grand opening, the breakdown of that day in video!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xd5cbO4rl0"]YouTube- Red Bull Arena grand opening - NY Red Bulls 3 vs Santos FC 1[/ame]

Post game:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZn-obli_E&NR=1"]YouTube- New York Red Bulls: Santos FC Post Match[/ame]

6. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NJ transit from Penn Station was really easy. Unfortunately trains don't run as often.

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Red Bull Arena Thread: Now Open, It's Real and It's Fabulous.

Tim Ream

8. Queensred

Queensred New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Re: Any Obstructed Views?

Some seats in sections 219, are to be avoided. Any seats in row ten I would not buy again as there is no proper walkway so you have people trying to walk through. Also there is a large guardrail at the end of some rows that will partly block the field.

9. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think if you just check the schedule you'll be OK. The WTC to NWK line runs the least frequently of the bunch. So generally half the people will have almost no wait when transferring, and 1/2 the people will have about a 15 minute wait.

Generally you can just make sure you're hopping on your first train at the right time though and you will have next to no wait when transferring at JSQ.

I just looked at the schedules... and depending upon your departure time from Hoboken, your wait time at JSQ will be:

2 minutes
    7 minutes
    12 minutes

The PATH train, in my years of experience, runs surprisingly on schedule. So depending upon where you're leaving from in Hoboken, you honestly should be able to time it so you have almost no wait at JSQ each time.

10. Fudbutter

Fudbutter Member

Mar 22, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Any Obstructed Views?

Thanks QR

I just got tix for sect 233 which mirrors 219, row 8

I'm really hoping that there aren't any issues because if we have one of the problems we had in Queens, this will be my last RB game as Mrs F will refuse to go back

11. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I left right after the game, not caring about the fireworks, walked to NYP and was on a train in 10 minutes and there was another one coming 10 minutes after that. The Path train across the platform was only half full, I am sure it was completely filled at Harrison.

12. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about, there's usually a train from NYPS to NPS every 10 minutes

The below is the train schedule for this saturday:
    As for the PATH problems, here's the description:

Weekday games:
    Saturday games:

13. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to wait a good half hour on Saturday for the next train. Maybe I just missed one or maybe I was doing something wrong. This was earlier in the afternoon.

14. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are points in the schedule where the train has a 30 minute gap (I had one at the Big East Tourney). Other than that, the trains leave often for both stations being that they are both hubs.

15. RedBullNJ

RedBullNJ New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Guys, I'm new, and may not post much, but I have some advice as far as mass transit goes:

If you are coming from NYC from Midtown, there is no reason for you to take PATH from 33rd street, especially on weekends. They make an extra stop in Hoboken and unless you're coming from the Villages, it's not worth it. Just take NJT to the other Penn Station and walk or deal with the trolley.

Or, if you are taking MTA first, the A, C, E, 2, 3, 4 and 5 all stop either next to or a block or 2 away from the PATH WTC station. Weekends might be a little crazy with the track maintenance, but most if not all of those trains run on Saturdays.

16. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a lot of track work last weekend. I went down to WTC and I think the difference was maybe 5 minutes compared to 33rd st.

Also, NJT is 8 round trip vs 3.50

17. RedBullNJ

RedBullNJ New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Well if fans can afford game tickets for at least twice a month, they can afford train tickets as well. But if you're only going into Harrison and back, then the 45 minute PATH ride from Midtown works.

18. senorhenriquez

Aug 5, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha me and my boys took the light rail from Bayonne to Jersey City and the PATH straight to Harrison. I don't feel like we spent much, we all used the same Metrocard lol...

it was quick though. i'd say we got to the stadium in 30-40 minutes tops.

19. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ok so the best way from midtown (I'm taking LIRR into NY Penn Station) is to take New Jersey Transit from NY Penn to Newark Penn if coming from midtown? and the best cheaper way would be ACE2345 to WTC and then PATH to Harrison?

but are you saying that midtown PATH to Harrison should be avoided only because there's one extra stop? Doesn't seem too much of a hassle to me to save a few bucks (i'm actually losing my job at the end of the month so every dollar counts really...)

20. BokenTerp

BokenTerp New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hoboken, NJ
    Was anyone unable to enjoy the game because:

a) it did not take place w/i NYC limits

b) we're named after a sports drink

Just curious :p

21. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the people you are talking about don't venture on this board or else they'll be sent off with another yellow card.

22. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue with teh PATH from 33rd/Penn isn't just the extra stop. On the weekends, that line goes to Hoboken first and stays there for a while (5 mins?). Then you have to change at Grove St. or Journal Sq. before to switch to the train from WTC to Harrison &Newark. It's a bigger hassle, but if you have the time, there's nothing wrong with going that route.

23. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be so quick to say that. The difference over the course of the season would be about $70, which is equal to 3 or 4 times at a restaurant.

24. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States