Recruiting? Verbals?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Thurbald, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Thurbald

Thurbald Member

Nov 30, 2001
    OK, has anybody heard anything about early verbal commitments for next fall?

2. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
  3. Soccerislife

Soccerislife New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    USA
    Verbal

I heard that Marin United forward Kamani Hill has made a verbal commitment to attend UCLA with a full scholarship. If this is true, then UCLA's future looks even brighter on the forward line as he will most definitely be an immediate starter as he was on his national championship runner-up club team this past summer.

4. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Re: Verbal

There are players with better pedigree that don't get any PT at UCLA. I'd hold off calling him an immediate starter.

5. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    Many kids are starting to verbally commit right after July 1. Specially some Juniors. Recruiting is changing. Teams to be competitive now have to put their trust on 16-17 years old. Did you remember when you where 16-17? Did you know where you wanted to go to college and spend 4 to 5 years of your life?

Recruting is polutted by the "top youth clubs" wanting to add names to their list of accomplishments as their "recruting" advantage. They are pushing some of these young players to commit early and grab the financial aid.

6. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Re: Verbal

With a maximum of 9.9 soccer scholarships allowed at D-1 schools, it is unlikely that he is receiving a full ride from the athletic dept. With all the pedigrees on this large roster, most scholarships are split among several athletes. Yes, he probably will start next to Chad Barrett next year, as McKinley and Taylor are seniors.

7. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Nice to see Dax McCarty listed as committed to UNC. I know absolutely nothing about him, but I vaguely remember seeing his name mentioned on BigSoccer at some point, so he must be good :). A couple more U17s, Sloustcher and Germani, are also committed to UNC, and a few other youth teamers are listed as considering Carolina, so it looks like they could have a fairly strong recruiting class.

Patrick Phelan to Wake Forest is a pretty big score for them, yes?

8. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    If you guys only knew how UNC was able to get all those U17's.

9. sloweddie

sloweddie New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Inside info? or rumor?

So what's the story, Luv?

10. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    My good friend FanOfTwelve can shed a great deal more light on this than I. Let me just say it's no coincidence that all the U17's who don't turn pro, go to only a few schools.

11. sloweddie

sloweddie New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    your turn

OK, FanOfTwelve, you're up next!

12. Soccerislife

Soccerislife New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    USA
    Re: Re: Verbal

Its the truth. With McKinley and Taylor gone I am sure that UCLA is anticipating Kamani Hill to be a starter. Also, I am positive that he is receiving a full ride there as he was offered full rides from nearly every program that recruited him which included Duke, Notre Dame, Cal, Stanford etc. Also, why would it be hard to believe that he is receiving a full ride if he is their top recruit and he is anticipated to start from freshman year onwards?

13. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Huge score! Patrick is not your typical freshmen. He comes in ready to play. He should have turned pro.

14. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    no he shouldn't have, and I'm not speaking from a soccer standpoint.

15. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    big bonnie, check your emails.

LDB

16. soccers14me

soccers14me New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    cxhad barrett

IS Chad Barrett reecieving a full ride at UCLA?... he should be- he is amazing

17. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this have anything to do with the fact that he changed high schools (Loomis to Choate) for his Senior year ?

18. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Nah, its nothing to do about that, I just mean from a maturity and mental standpoint he's not ready to be a pro. Plus he knows the pro's will always be there for him and he wants to enjoy college and get a good degree.

19. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    mike videira

I've seen this U-20 pool player beat up on my h.s. alma mater for a couple of years now. thank god he's going to college! Anybody heard where he's headed?

btw, isl soccer (boston area prep league) isn't a historical powerhouse, but this is an unusually good year. (hate to say it but...) Nobles has at least 5 D-1 prospects and Brooks Rivers BB&N & St Pauls could ball with anybody in the N.E. are public or private.

20. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    topdrawersoccer.com says he's verbally committed to Duke.

21. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: mike videira

The top ISL teams usually ARE powerhouses, at least in the last few years. Nobles is quite good this year but realistically they only have 3 upper class players who are legitimate D-1 prospects. They have an 8th grader on the team who may be the best ever to come out of the school if he continues to develop.

The rest of your post is correct with the exception of Rivers. They had a bit of a down year, especially since they won the ISL and the New Englands 2 years ago. Quite an accomplishment for a class C school.

Perhaps you meant to put Belmont Hill on your list since they actually finished second in the ISL this year (ahead of Nobles, BBN, and St Pauls) and are playing Andover tomorrow in the New England Prep School League semis.

22. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Brooks 3-1 over Loomis.

23. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andover 1-0 over Belmont Hill. Great game, BH missed a PK early. (wait til next year)

The finals should be a really good game. Babson 1:30 pm tomorrow. Brooks beat Andover 1-0 during the regular season.

24. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    isl rep

Dr Jay -
    I'm glad somebody here has heard of the ISL! I played in the league a decade ago (for Milton, a perenially mid-table squad...great school though). I thought then that it had a lot of polished players, and the top schools - esp. Bel. Hill, SPS, and Middlesex were among the best in the state.

thx for the update on the NEPSAC playoffs. tough luck for BH, the big boarding schools are very difficult to beat inthe postseason. if you want to keep tabs on the league in the future, there's a nice little site devoted to the ISL game at:
    islboyssoccer.sps.edu

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the hartford courent listed him at Wilbraham-monson academy. i believe he went there after fermi and never actually went to loomis or choate