Recruiting class size

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by casocrfan, Feb 9, 2008.

1. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I can assume there can be signees without scholarships? If so, then by what you say the GPA would not apply with them either since they are not on scholarship.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    TEWJS seems to be mostly right on this point. Non scholarship players aren't counted unless the school doesn't give out scholarships at all, then any player the school recruited and enrolled at the beginning of the year is counted. The key is no money-no APR count.

According to the report cover sheet:
    http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/academic_performance/APRReportCoverSheet2007.pdf
    published by the NCAA

Some excerpts:

and:

Any claims that students are stashed to raise GPA are false, however. The APR doesn't measure GPA, and data about GPA are not collected for the purposes of computing APR. the only thing that counts is normal progress towards graduation of scholarship players. The only link between APR and GPA is, I suppose, that you have to have a passing GPA for each academic period to be counted positively towards the APR, and it has to be in a fashion that gives progress toward graduation.

Also, in order to be counted, you have to get money, which of course means you have to take that scholarship money from the scholarship pool in sports that can split scholarships (every sport but Football and Basketball).

For those of you interested in reading more about the APR, and especially allowed exceptions to which players are or are not included, and the minutiae of how all the different cases and combinations of enrollment/graduation are computed, go to the complete guidelines here: http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/academic_performance/APPDataCollectionGuideAugust2007.pdf

Just to make your heads hurt a little more, the guide mentions future use the GSR (graduation success rate), which will be computed when there is enough data over 6 years.

3. TEWJS

TEWJS New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    In a House
    APR and GPA are two totally different things. Walk-ons do count toward a teams GPA (Grade Point Average). But the APR is more about retention and athlete's being eligible to play. A team can have a really good APR (980) but have an average GPA (2.5). Like wise a teams GPA can be a (3.5) but can have a APR of (925) because a bunch of players left the team and transfered and one or two of the players became ineligible due to having a bad semester or fell below the % needed for progress towards their degree (making them ineligible for competition).

4. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Good info on the APR, I knew it wasn't related to GPA but asked more from a retention standpoint. Totally forgot about the money parth, though. Either way, as CW said, the minutae of it all can be head splitting.

5. soccerlions1

soccerlions1 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    and they're bringing in a couple of transfers too. They have 16 names on their roster, plus 18 recruits, plus 2 transfers for a roster size of 36!:confused:

6. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    This includes the varsity, junior varsity and freshmen teams.

7. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Adams State, here in Colorado, has announced a class of 18.

8. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Sorry folks, I just realized I had already comment on this fact in this thread. No delete or edit option.